SFA National League @ Tier 5

8 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

The village team, if promoted to the league, would have one vote out of 42 after a probationary period of 1(?) year. That is not quite the same as dictatorship.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The suggesting was that regionalising tiers 3 and 4 was somehow worthwhile because some Brora players didn't fancy long bus journeys.

Edited by Gordon EF

I would prefer a national non-league cup between sides from the Lowland and Highland Leagues.  I would support colt teams being in that as well. I think there would big crowds for Kelty Hearts v Glasgow Rangers B ,or Brora Rangers v Aberdeen B side, when fans are allowed back. Plus leading Scottish Junior sides could enter.

3 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I would prefer a national non-league cup between sides from the Lowland and Highland Leagues.  I would support colt teams being in that as well. I think there would big crowds for Kelty Hearts v Glasgow Rangers B ,or Brora Rangers v Aberdeen B side, when fans are allowed back. Plus leading Scottish Junior sides could enter.

Do you even read any of the posts on these forums or just spaff out shite that's been discussed to death already? A national non-league cup is a non starter unless it has sponsorship as clubs will lose money playing in it. Previous incarnations in the North have failed on this front.

The Highland League clubs essentially play second XIs of the SPFL clubs in the North of Scotland Cup and Aberdeenshire Cup/Shield. Can't say I saw the hordes packing into Grant Street Park for the Clach v ICT Reserves derby.

Also, the juniors died, mate.

Another possibility would be to turn the Highland League and Lowland League themselves into a semi-national tier 5, by having some games against one another as part of their regular season, but earning points towards their own division as normal.

If they were both leagues of 12, then they could play teams within their own league at home and away (22 games each), and teams in the other league at home or away (12 games each), for a 34-game season each, involving 6 of the long away trips that are either feared or relished depending upon who you listen to.

Just because England's top tier in non league is National doesn't mean we have to copy (as we do with everything else), mainly as they are a full time league, and ours would be part time. I know no one has mentioned that yet but in reality thats why some want it.

Both Cove and Edin City have been good additions to the league, and with the LL is getting stronger each year and will get stronger once more of the WoS teams get promoted and the stength is shown by both Berwick and East Stirlingshire not getting close to promotion back to the league yet.

Granted a fairer split between HL & LL area's would be preferable given the inbalance at the moment, but everything can be perfect. Also more promotion slots would be better - best idea i have heard so far is team 42 down automatically. winner of the HL/LL champ play off automatically promoted, then team 41 plays the loser of the champions play off and winner is in the league hte loser relegated / stays where they are

I recall, when the SPFL was formed, shaking my head at the branding (badge/logo, division names) being so similar to the English version at that time. Like we thought we could trick overseas countries into buying up our product by being so similar superficially to England. As if they wouldn't notice the difference in quality...

Well, that part may have worked actually. But, yeah, that wouldn't necessarily be a good reason to stick with multiple wee versions of the English divisions, including the national conference at tier 5.

Given how East Stirlingshire and Berwick have yet to make much impression on the Lowland League, I can see why the SPFL2 clubs are reticent about opening up to further relegation to tier 5. 

I don't know if a well supported but poor quality LL would appeal most to them, in terms of keeping their finances in good nick and making re-promotion to tier 4 more likely; whereas what we seem to have is the opposite of that: a poorly supported LL with a coterie of good quality teams on the pitch. Which doesn't give SPFL2 clubs much incentive either on the pitch or off it to look at opening up to tier 5.

Edited by theboke