The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

We have 2 keepers in the under 21 squad playing for premiership sides.

Kieran Slicker at Man City and Archie Mair at Norwich. Now is the time to get at-least one of them into the squad. 

By "into the squad" I presume you mean in an apprentice type role to see how it all works? Because if you mean we should be bringing two guys who have never played a senior game of football into the international squad as actual selections, that's fairly...unlikely.

When Gordon retires, which is inevitably going to be very soon, then Marshall is undisputed number 1 with McLaughlin his deputy. The final squad place will go to someone like McRorie, Zander Clarke or Liam Kelly. They may not be world beaters but they are the best we have. I would hope one of the young players will show something over the next couple of years to force their way into that 3rd keeper spot and that one of the three aforementioned (or someone else) shows enough to be number 1 or number 2.

20 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think Gordon will necessarily retire any time soon. He lost years of his career to injury, I can see him going on into his 40s.

You may prove to be right, which just reinforces the point that Kieran Slicker and  Archie Mair are getting nowhere near selection for Scotland until such time as they actually prove themselves better than the options we currently have.

2 hours ago, albagubrath said:

You may prove to be right, which just reinforces the point that Kieran Slicker and  Archie Mair are getting nowhere near selection for Scotland until such time as they actually prove themselves better than the options we currently have.

Gotta hope both these guys get a loan move and play some games at a decent level. We're thin on the ground for good young keepers 😒

Gotta hope both these guys get a loan move and play some games at a decent level. We're thin on the ground for good young keepers [emoji19]

Mair had a decent spell in the conference for Kings Lynn. Hopefully his next loan will be a level or 2 up from that.

On 12/07/2021 at 11:40, Mean Gene said:

We have 2 keepers in the under 21 squad playing for premiership sides.

Kieran Slicker at Man City and Archie Mair at Norwich. Now is the time to get at-least one of them into the squad. 

Harry Stone of Hearts has gone to Patrick Thistle on loan. Very highly rated. I agree we need to fast track the most promising keepers. Any mediocre but slightly older ones should be skipped. 

• 3 weeks later...
Harry Stone of Hearts has gone to Patrick Thistle on loan. Very highly rated. I agree we need to fast track the most promising keepers. Any mediocre but slightly older ones should be skipped. 
Disappointing to see that Stone appears to be getting rotated at Thistle. From a purely Scotland supporting pov, I was hoping Hearts might have imposed a 'must play' clause in his loan agreement.

Good that there are at least some young names for us to chat about and keep an eye on.

Hopefully Gordon and/or Marshall can go on long enough to bridge the gap until one or more come good.

If not then we could be in for a tricky period.

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
On 14/07/2021 at 08:15, woof! said:

Disappointing to see that Stone appears to be getting rotated at Thistle. From a purely Scotland supporting pov, I was hoping Hearts might have imposed a 'must play' clause in his loan agreement.

Given how utterly garbage Sneddon is I can see him getting a run. Unless Stone is similarly pish...

On 07/08/2021 at 20:05, 2426255 said:

Marshall wasn't in the squad today for Derby's game. McLaughlin made his 2nd league start. Gordon made his 2nd league start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58144447

Marshall is currently third choice according to Rooney. Guess that puts Gordon firmly between the sticks next month?

I’d be gutted if he finishes his career on 47 caps considering all the squads he’s been in, and his heroics to get us to the Euros (if not quite during them).

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58144447

Marshall is currently third choice according to Rooney. Guess that puts Gordon firmly between the sticks next month?

I’d be gutted if he finishes his career on 47 caps considering all the squads he’s been in, and his heroics to get us to the Euros (if not quite during them).

He needs to find a move pronto if this is the case 

This season is massive for Gunn to prove that he's more than just overhyped pish as he's just signed permanently with Norwich and will only have a 37 year old Michael McGovern and Tim Krul as competition.

Craig Gordon has to be the new official number 1 for the time being. I personally think he's better than Marshall in any case.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

This season is massive for Gunn to prove that he's more than just overhyped pish as he's just signed permanently with Norwich and will only have a 37 year old Michael McGovern and Tim Krul as competition.

Craig Gordon has to be the new official number 1 for the time being. I personally think he's better than Marshall in any case.

I thought Gunn has made it clear more than once he’s not interested in playing for us?

Quick look on wiki and it says he’s played less than 100 games in his career, he’s already 25.

Not exactly inspiring stuff to be honest 

Aye, Gordon should have been our No.1 for the Euros