The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Yeah absolutely Michael W, and a good number of Goalkeepers have been brought in over this time, Archer was indeed viewed as a long termer, but it didn't work out, so is Robbie McCrorie but he still has time on his side, there was also the lad that was at Portsmouth and was in a number of squads, Craig Macgilvery (spelling??), had the opportunity but never really happened..

Chris Marshall still hasn't been capped by Wales has 25 games in the championship this season and was open to switching to Scotland in 2019

Obviously rather have Steele especially if he keeps his place with Brighton

But its another option will go out on a limb and say he probably doesn't rate him either that much like Clarke and Kelly and McCrorie 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Kelly and Clark, in any other circumstances, wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad.  I’d be disappointed if Clarke wasn’t trying to find better. 

This, Kelly I used to rate a bit but he couldn't get a game in the english championship and has been pretty bad this season. Clark also couldn't get a championship move this season and ended up coming back up the road and signing as a no 2 to a Scottish club. Of course if there's a guy playing in the EPL your going to most likely going to want him in the mix at least.

9 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Chris Marshall still hasn't been capped by Wales has 25 games in the championship this season and was open to switching to Scotland in 2019

Obviously rather have Steele especially if he keeps his place with Brighton

But its another option will go out on a limb and say he probably doesn't rate him either that much like Clarke and Kelly and McCrorie 

Is Chris Marshall a David Marshall x Maxwell Blackpool lovechild?

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

This, Kelly I used to rate a bit but he couldn't get a game in the english championship and has been pretty bad this season. Clark also couldn't get a championship move this season and ended up coming back up the road and signing as a no 2 to a Scottish club. Of course if there's a guy playing in the EPL your going to most likely going to want him in the mix at least.

Kelly did play in the English championship just never kept his place cos the other keeper is better who used to play up here a canny spell his name right so I won't try to

Edited by General dissaray

3 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Is Chris Marshall a David Marshall x Maxwell Blackpool lovechild?

I assume “Maxwell Blackpool” is the Blackpool keeper Chris Maxwell and “Elliott Philadelphia” is the defender Jack Elliott who plays for Philadelphia Union 

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

Gunn belting out flower of Scotland. Should shut up anyone who doubts his commitment. 

Commitment is turning up consistently for squad get-togethers and not being a starter. The Kenny McLeans and Scot Gemmills of the Scottish international scene. 

If he suffers a loss of form and/or dislodged by a returning Gordon, that will be a good gauge of his commitment. I couldn't care less if players sing or don't sing an anthem. 

But Gunn looks decent and so far so good!

13 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Commitment is turning up consistently for squad get-togethers and not being a starter. The Kenny McLeans and Scot Gemmills of the Scottish international scene. 

If he suffers a loss of form and/or dislodged by a returning Gordon, that will be a good gauge of his commitment. I couldn't care less if players sing or don't sing an anthem. 

But Gunn looks decent and so far so good!

And these days, consistently turning up to manage the u21s and making an utter arse of it almost every time.

What a guy!

22 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Does Craig Gordon even get the jersey back if he decides to return to playing when ready?

I’d like to bring Steele in as well. Good to have options. 

Wouldn't have thought so

I only saw highlights from the last game before the international break, Steele played very well that night but it was the Crystal Palace youngster that got the plaudits that night probably because it was his first game for the club but I echo what's been said already, I wouldn't say no to the boy if he is willing to declare for us as we need as many GKs as possible that are playing in England and up against top quality players.

I do think Craig Gordon will still be number 1 when he comes back as he hasn't really put a foot wrong and I'm sure Sir Steve trusts him but I do believe he may retire after the Euros (or this campaign if, God forbid, we fail to qualify) by which time Angus Gunn could well become our number 1 and perhaps Liam Kelly will have proved himself or got a move.

Not that he had that much to do but I thought Gunn looked absolutely solid any time he was called into action. Dealt with a few high shots well. Had hands like glue when anything bounced in front of him and had Spain's only real chance of the night (Joselu's header off the bar) well covered. He looked good with the ball at his feet and has an absolute beast of a kick out. On the evidence of the last two games, I'd be more than happy for Gunn to keep the jersey.

Edited by Gordon EF