The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

We are just unlucky that 3 of our best 7 or 8 keepers of all time were almost identical in age and all at the tail end of their career now.

....and pretty sad that only 1 of them is in the Scotland Hall of Fame and Alan Rough is!

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

We are just unlucky that 3 of our best 7 or 8 keepers of all time were almost identical in age and all at the tail end of their career now.

Any of Gordon/McGregor/Marshall would have absolutely scooshed the Scotland caps record if not for the existence of the other two. 

Similar to Leighton and Goram who overlapped aswell. 

For years we've always lamented the lack of quality in the team bar 1 or 2 including the keeper. It's now the opposite to a degree. Plenty of players playing at a high level especially in midfield and defence is getting there.

It's an opportunity for any of the new keepers to elevate their level. Clark and Kelly in particular won't have much if any european or top level experience. Gunn has over 100 appearances at prem/champ level so he has a wee head start.    

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

There's a whole lot of randomness to it and I'm sure in 10 years time (regardless of what we do) we will still have stronger positions and weaker positions.

Right-back being a perfect example, where a couple of years ago we had nobody other than SoD and now we have had a run of youngsters coming through in Patterson, Ramsay and Hickey.

10 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Do many wee boys want to be the goalkeeper?

From the occasional glance, the most common advert on the youth football Facebook page for Fife seems to be folk looking for a goalkeeper.

Nobody wants to be a goalie - it's thrust upon us.

"You again? Look, if you aren't going to take the hint and f**k off, at least get in goal so none of us have to stand next to you"  :(

33 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Nobody wants to be a goalie - it's thrust upon us.

"You again? Look, if you aren't going to take the hint and f**k off, at least get in goal so none of us have to stand next to you"  :(

Ah, the Alan Rough glorified traffic cone school of goalies.

Also, you wouldn’t be spoken to like that by us coaches now. We are very respectful of young people. I’ve done the SFA Children’s Wellbeing course, and swearing at kids isn’t allowed. It’s mad that they have to do a course to say “gonnae no hit them, swear at them, bully them, or feel them up” but here we are. I have done a course on not being a horrible c**t or a paedo. It’ll try to live up to their ethical standards.

Edited by Scary Bear

56 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Also, you wouldn’t be spoken to like that by us coaches now. We are very respectful of young people. I’ve done the SFA Children’s Wellbeing course, and swearing at kids isn’t allowed. It’s mad that they have to do a course to say “gonnae no hit them, swear at them, bully them, or feel them up” but here we are. I have done a course on not being a horrible c**t or a paedo. It’ll try to live up to their ethical standards.

It must be impossible to persuade violent offenders to become PE teachers these days.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Was that to become a coach of a youth side or similar? 

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

English born goalkeepers are like buses. The Sun reporting Clarke is keeping an eye on Jason Steele who has been Brighton's number 1 for the past month or so.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10431272/scotland-steve-clarke-brighton-goalkeeper-jason-steele/

Clark must really hate Kelly & Z.Clark seems odd  to get a guy near the end of his career to try and switch.

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

English born goalkeepers are like buses. The Sun reporting Clarke is keeping an eye on Jason Steele who has been Brighton's number 1 for the past month or so.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10431272/scotland-steve-clarke-brighton-goalkeeper-jason-steele/

That'd be quite the coup.

4 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Clark must really hate Kelly & Z.Clark seems odd  to get a guy near the end of his career to try and switch.

Kelly and Clark, in any other circumstances, wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad.  I’d be disappointed if Clarke wasn’t trying to find better. 

5 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Neither of them are good enough for international level. At 32, a goalkeeper certainly has a good 5-8 years left in him, granted it doesn't say much when we're looking at goalkeepers that have gone under the radar until now. 

Gunn probably has it in the bag for the next few years at least. He isn't amazing, but beyond that the options are poor. We've a currently injured Craig Gordon, who will almost certainly retire soon, a 35 year old McLaughlin who is reserve to a 41 year old Alan McGregor and then we're down to Kelly and Clark. 

Edited by Michael W

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Neither of them are good enough for international level. 

Every player in the Premiership is good enough for International Level. 

It's a level that goes from Brazil (where maybe one or two available to us is squeezes into Squad Level) to San Marino 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Kelly and Clark, in any other circumstances, wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad.  I’d be disappointed if Clarke wasn’t trying to find better. 

I think Savage Henry has nailed it with his comment. Throughout my life there has always been good Premier League/SPF/Scottish Premiership (whatever it was called at the time) Goalkeepers who were great within Scottish Football but were never quite good enough to pick up caps, and sadly for Clark and Kelly, they probably fall under that.

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Neither of them are good enough for international level. At 32, a goalkeeper certainly has a good 5-8 years left in him, granted it doesn't say much when we're looking at goalkeepers that have gone under the radar until now. 

Probably flew under the radar because Gordon, Marshall, McGregor have done so well for us over the last 20 years, so we didn't have to look any further. 

7 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I think Savage Henry has nailed it with his comment. Throughout my life there has always been good Premier League/SPF/Scottish Premiership (whatever it was called at the time) Goalkeepers who were great within Scottish Football but were never quite good enough to pick up caps, and sadly for Clark and Kelly, they probably fall under that.

Probably flew under the radar because Gordon, Marshall, McGregor have done so well for us over the last 20 years, so we didn't have to look any further. 

Yeah, a fair point. 

Was just thinking the last couple of years we didn't really look much at who might replace those three, or at least the former two as McGregor went a few years ago. I guess that Jordan Archer guy got his shot and was mince, and then there's Scott Bain as well who isn't up to it either. Perhaps Kelly was the hope and he'd come on a few levels. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, a fair point. 

Was just thinking the last couple of years we didn't really look much at who might replace those three, or at least the former two as McGregor went a few years ago. I guess that Jordan Archer guy got his shot and was mince, and then there's Scott Bain as well who isn't up to it either. Perhaps Kelly was the hope and he'd come on a few levels. 

Yeah absolutely Michael W, and a good number of Goalkeepers have been brought in over this time, Archer was indeed viewed as a long termer, but it didn't work out, so is Robbie McCrorie but he still has time on his side, there was also the lad that was at Portsmouth and was in a number of squads, Craig Macgilvery (spelling??), had the opportunity but never really happened..