The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

best scenario in my view would be David Marshall coming back in the short-term and being considered first choice initially, with Gunn also called up to the squads. Two or three squad call-ups with Gunn likely not playing will be a good gauge of his commitment....

I don’t think Steve Clarke’s main priority will be to “gauge his commitment”. Especially not in two key qualifiers.

If Clarke feels he gives us the best chance to win then he’s not doing his job properly if he doesn’t start him. 

He's probably our best option at the moment, once a player commits regardless of previous allegiances as long as he shows his commitment to the cause I don't have a problem with it. If Angus Gunn turns up for every squad and gives his all for the jersey (like Lyndon Dykes for example) then I don't think many people will have too many issues going forward. 

20 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Gunn is a Covidiot as well. Why are so many footballers so thick? 

He seems to have deleted quite a few of his more, erm, right wing/ laddish posts.   Guessing the purging of his talkshite stuff is a sign the speculation could be true.  

22 hours ago, RobbieD said:

I’ll leave this here.

2ECC6C2A-E513-44FF-94DC-D3D47A64C977.jpeg

Not a problem for me. He’s English, an England fan and he wanted to play for England, hence previous rejections of Scotland. However, there’s now clearly no chance him getting capped for England, so he either plays for Scotland or never plays international football.

Don’t see what he’s done wrong here. I can see him being our number 1 for the next decade. Not because he’s a great keeper, but because he’s better than anything else we have.

Edited by Lex

23 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Part of me hopes he doesn’t play, just cause it’d be quite funny.

It would be, but I also think it's the right thing to do for footballing reasons alone. Clearly one of the best three goalkeepers available to us so should be in the squad, but IMO not as good as Clark so shouldn't be starting.

Angus Gunn is currently the statistically highest ranked GK in the Championship. Zander Clark and Liam Kelly are simply not at the same level. The idea that there is any debate about who is now Number 1 is absurd. Even Kelly and Clark will know the score

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

It would be, but I also think it's the right thing to do for footballing reasons alone. Clearly one of the best three goalkeepers available to us so should be in the squad, but IMO not as good as Clark so shouldn't be starting.

Your welcome to your opinion, but its absolute pie in the sky stuff.

Simply compare their respective careers, gunn is absolutely miles ahead. If championship clubs thought Clarke was worth it they could snap him up in a heart beat. I think they will be aware of keepers in and around the Scotland squad.

They could double his wage with ease and have him as one of their lowest paid players.

Yet they don't even consider it.

1-0 down but nothing he could do with that shot from Ba (we'll ignore Hanley stood off him until it was too late).

Based on my extensive knowledge of watching him for 15mins his distribution looks a lot better than what we've been used to and could be something Clarke can use if he wants to go direct.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

5 hours ago, immcinto said:

Angus Gunn is currently the statistically highest ranked GK in the Championship. Zander Clark and Liam Kelly are simply not at the same level. The idea that there is any debate about who is now Number 1 is absurd. Even Kelly and Clark will know the score

He's been dropped at times this season so he's almost certainly not actually the best in the league. That's not a judgement on whether Clark is better than him, though I have been very impressed by him over the last 2 years or so. Kelly has been rubbish this season and can count himself lucky if he's in the squad.

Just now, craigkillie said:

He's been dropped at times this season so he's almost certainly not actually the best in the league. That's not a judgement on whether Clark is better than him, though I have been very impressed by him over the last 2 years or so. Kelly has been rubbish this season and can count himself lucky if he's in the squad.

Whos been the best keeper in the English championship for you then?

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the league, but I'd guess that someone who hasn't spent about 40% of the games they've been available for on the bench probably isn't the best in the division.

Daniel Bachmann and Freddie Woodman are two I know well, both played basically every game, both at clubs who have conceded fewer than Norwich, and two who I'd absolutely jump at if they were available to play for Scotland.

"I had a meeting with the manager (Clarke) a couple of months ago. I've spoken to him a few times, and I've decided to change allegiances. I'm available for the squad, I don't think they've announced it yet so hopefully I can get into it, It's exciting times for me.

It's a time in my career where I want to be playing lots of games. I don't feel like when people have spoken about it before that I've been playing regularly enough to play for Scotland.

I've never really been thinking about it and I've never had a conversation with anyone from the team before. It was a really good conversation with the manager and Grant and Kenny always speak to me about the group and how positive it is.

“My dad is happy as well because he's a big Scotsman. I want to push myself. I don't feel that I've warranted any international recognition in the last couple of years but I feel that I'm playing regularly and trying to find that consistency that now is the right time to step into it and hopefully do a good job."

Gunn's quotes to the local press today after the game.

Again from a position of limited knowledge of the Championship like the majority in here I was under the impression Gunn started the season 2nd choice under Dean Smith but forced his way in only for Smith to lose his job and the new manager David Wagner to then go with the known bigger name of Krul before Gunn won the spot back again. I'd see that as a positive to be honest.

Edited by Pie Of The Month