The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't see how playing 45 (or even 90) minutes in a low key friendly is going to give Liam Kelly any sort of experience he wouldn't already have from his over 100 top flight appearances.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that playing for Scotland, even in a shite friendly, would be a different experience for Liam Kelly. He's playing with much better players than he's ever played with before and probably would have been under more scrutiny given our general upcoming goalkeeping issues than he's ever been at Motherwell. I think giving him game time would have been far more beneficial than another 90 for Gordon. 

8 hours ago, Donny said:

We need to have another go at getting Angus Gunn to switch to us

I agree with that but it's a hard sell when all we have to offer is sitting on the bench watching an ageing Gordon kick the ball into touch. Gordon has been great for Scotland but we need to stop thinking he can play on for much longer.

• 1 month later...

Ffs that's bad news. Depends how clean a break it is but bad news nonetheless.

Might there be a silver lining in that it forces the GK issue?  It's not as if Gordon was going to improve as a keeper, and this might help us avoid his gradual decline.

That's said, I don't have a single Scooby about who could do the job he's been doing over the last few years for us.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, we look fucked on this front if it's as bad as feared.

McLaughlin to start? Clark? Kelly?

Shite.

Perhaps Gordon's injury might be the bait needed to lure in a non Scottish born keeper? I.e. you commit, and you become first pick.

This is a problem we have all seen coming for years. Unfortunately there is no outstanding younger Scottish goalkeepers. 

We have been blessed to have had Gordon, McGregor and Marshall around for the previous decade and a bit. Three reliable goalkeepers - though Marshall was always the lesser of the three in my eyes. Gordon has served Scotland with distinction and was the best goalkeeper I can remember playing for us. If this is really the end for him then I'm fucking gutted.

I genuinely have no idea who I would want us to play in nets.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon Clarke might try and tempt Marshall out of retirement.

That wouldn't be the worst idea in the world tbh. I doubt Marshall would say no if he was asked to come back either. I'd still rather play Marshall than some of the alternatives.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've put it in a spoiler because it's not nice to see but that looks like a career ender for a much younger keeper than Gordon.

Not necessarily. You can generally come back from a broken leg, though not always the same player. James McCarthy was never the same after a horrific leg break at Everton.

But at Gordon's age his career is over now. Very sad, he's a brilliant lad and great player whose career has been devastated by injury. But he's done now unfortunately.

Obvs gutted for Gordon, but there were some worrying signs for Hearts this season that he might be declining so this could just accelerate the process. He should've easily got 100 caps but it just wasn't to be.

Clark will now be Hearts' number one so might come back into the squad. I liked Kelly as a prospect at Livi but have not fancied him at all this season so I'd be looking at coaxing Marshall out of retirement. He retired because we didn't qualify for the World Cup, which I'm guessing he was looking at as a last hurrah, so I'm not sure what the likelihood of him doing a u-turn is.

Ideally, Clarke's faith in McCrorie pays off but there's no way to know when he hasn't played any football in more than a year. 

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Not necessarily. You can generally come back from a broken leg, though not always the same player. James McCarthy was never the same after a horrific leg break at Everton.

But at Gordon's age his career is over now. Very sad, he's a brilliant lad and great player whose career has been devastated by injury. But he's done now unfortunately.

Yeah its pretty sad, but I dont see him coming back. Certainly not up to international level, were going to have to think outside the box now. As mentioned by others, its a perfect chance to go for Angus gun again, he surely must be tempted as he's never in a million years getting an England call up.