The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 19/06/2022 at 20:13, General dissaray said:

Jed Steer needs a loan at start off season if he gets a decent move maybe to championship I'm sure that he will come into contention if he is doing the job

Hopefully Luton Town will need him back again?

On 01/04/2021 at 14:29, Les Cabbage said:

I voted for Liam Kelly as I think he’s the strongest option we have.

With a look to the future we have Murray Johnson who is 16 and Wolves have just paid £250k for him, he was also on trial at Man City, I know that means nothing for a few years but there’s definitely promise there.

Vincent Angelini (nearly 18) at Celtic (who looks like he’s away) was being looked at by AC Milan although it looks like he’s going to Brighton.

Cieran Slicker is at Man City - I don’t know a great deal about him although (I know this means nothing) I signed him on football manager for Darlington on my March from non league football to the premier league and they reckoned he was about League 1 level so he may not be an option if SI Games are right with this one.

First of all the signed for Wolves turned out to not be true albeit it was reported in the media he had gone but he indeed has not and is still with Hibs.

Still only 17 years old and made his debut for Airdrie on Saturday after making a 7 day emergency loan switch and seemed to have done okay but all accounts, kept a clean sheet too.

Definitely one to watch.

On 30/07/2022 at 19:07, craigkillie said:

He's not good enough to be their number 1, I'd assume they're saving McGregor for the Champions League in midweek.

That didn't happen, which was a bit of a surprise. Could be a plus for the National Team especially given the fact that Zander Clark is currently doing his own thing just now.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Let's never discuss McLaughlin as an option for first choice lads. 

We are pretty short on options which is the reason why he's been discussed if and when Craig Gordon has to call time on his career. A single game isn't going to change that and as usual the reaction is filled with plenty of over the top knee jerk stuff. Jon McLaughlin was not the reason Rangers conceded four goals to Celtic.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

We are pretty short on options which is the reason why he's been discussed if and when Craig Gordon has to call time on his career. A single game isn't going to change that and as usual the reaction is filled with plenty of over the top knee jerk stuff. Jon McLaughlin was not the reason Rangers conceded four goals to Celtic.

..but he was fuckin awful on at least two of them. He shouldn't be anywhere near the Scotland team.

McLaughlin is a bit shite, and he’s 35 next week too. He’s not getting any better and I’d be surprised if he ever played for Scotland again.
All depends on when Craig Gordon calls it a day or drops off dramatically.
If, hypothetically, he was to retire tomorrow, would you honestly expect Liam Kelly to start Scotland's next game, when McLaughlin is playing* in the Champions' League?
If Gordon holds good for another two or three years then there's a chance McLaughlin won't get a look in again, but even then the likelihood is injury or suspension will give him a chance.

*I just can't see McGregor being brought back in for rangers based on today, as it'd destroy McLaughlin's confidence and leave them with one experienced keeper who is clearly past his best) ?

I had no idea there was such a strong anti Jon McLaughlin sentiment. I thought most people think he is a bit average but steady enough. I'm not offended by him as a goalkeeper and if I had to choose right now I'd have him in the squad behind Craig Gordon.

I'll caveat that by saying that I don't follow Rangers and have only seen highlights of Jon McLaughlin for Rangers in some of their games this season in the league and the Champions League.

I also don't buy into the comments about him having "chocolate" wrists. The only goal I'd hold him solely responsible was the inconsequential fourth goal. 

Edited by 2426255

16 hours ago, 2426255 said:

He's pish 

McLaughlin isn't pish, he's just not able to cope with the pressure of Rangers and ultimately isn't good enough for them.

Out of our current crop of options he's probably the second best option behind Gordon at present but the hope is that Gordon can keep going for at least another 2 years by which point McLaughlin will be 37 and we'll have a new option so we'll never need to see him as first choice.

It is a bit of a mess that our only competent keeper at international level is 40 before the turn of the year though.

• 3 weeks later...

A few insights into what the thinking is on our goalkeeping situation that have popped up.

It would help Robby if he was playing more regular football. More regular doesn’t mean to say playing every week. Obviously, Robby is 24 now. I am not sure what his contract situation is now to be honest. I would imagine that he is thinking at 24 that he needs to play matches. But I am not going to tell Rangers how to conduct their business, I am not going to tell any club how to conduct their business unless I am at that club.

You have got Liam who is playing week in, week out in the Scottish Premiership. You had Zander (Clark) who was playing week in, week out. Zander has chosen to go to Hearts and he is obviously going to sit on the bench behind Craig. For now anyway.

It is an area that would give you some concern moving forward. It is something that we are aware of and we are looking at. You are not always going to get three diamonds like (Allan) McGregor, (David) Marshall and (Craig) Gordon at the same time. Hopefully we can find someone. We are looking around trying to find somebody with a granny that is Scottish that doesn’t really know they are Scottish. You are always looking. We are mindful of the fact that it is an area that could be of concern going forward.

Listen, let’s not pre-judge. Liam (Kelly) hasn’t had any games for Scotland. Zander (Clark) hasn’t had any games. Young Robby hasn’t had any games. But let’s not pre-judge the situation. It is something of which you have to be mindful.

Steve Clarke

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/steve-clarke-admits-scotland-goalkeeper-25068923

He's a good goalkeeper. Obviously I saw him when he was out on loan at Livingston and Morton, when he was playing games. I know he is not in an ideal situation where he is not getting game time, but I know he is working with good goalkeepers and worked on at Rangers. Even though he is not getting the matches, he is improving as a goalkeeper.

Even from the first time I called him in when he was at Livingston I can see that when he comes to the squad he has improved. (He is) A young goalkeeper improving. We are not blessed with a lot of young options in that area. Obviously Robby is one that I like and we are going to try and keep him involved as much as possible.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robby-mccrorie-handed-rangers-not-28037665

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Quite interesting and maybe as honest as Clarke's been about a weak point.

We have a lot of players like McRorie around the squad who do opposition shape and learn the ropes while waiting for their chance like David Turnbull, Lewis Ferguson, Greg Taylor, Jacob Brown and the rest. Robby McRorie I see in a similar vein and hopefully he moves his club career on at some point.

I also understand why some people especially his competition might feel he hasn't earned his place. He comes from Dailly so maybe it's an Ayrshire thing.

Edited by 2426255