The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Bryan Gunn wasn't bad... he just wasn't close to as good as Goram or even Leighton.  And he was great for Norwich.  

To go back to the question, though, it pretty much looks like a two horse race between McRorie and Kelly.   Ross Doohan is hopeless.

I'm disappointed at the lack of Jack Ruddy as one of the options.   Maybe his brother had a word with the OP.

He might have been OK for Norwich, but he was pish for Scotland in his few caps.  Had a horror show in Italy in 94 qualifying and at Pittodrie against Egypt.  Think he had another poor game against Holland as well.

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think we could possibly see out the world cup campaign with Marshall and/or Gordon. Its funny how Marshall has gone from Hero like status to some spent has been by a few Tartan Army da’s in about 6 months. By which point it will give some of players mentioned time to establish  themselves as consistent number 1s at a big club or a decent level. Either that or someone to come out of nowhere.

Unfortunately who ever it is will most likely be nowhere the level have had for number the past 15 years but a steadyish pair of hands will do.

I thought you were Irish and didn't support scotland?

8 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

I voted for Liam Kelly as I think he’s the strongest option we have.

With a look to the future we have Murray Johnson who is 16 and Wolves have just paid £250k for him, he was also on trial at Man City, I know that means nothing for a few years but there’s definitely promise there.

Vincent Angelini (nearly 18) at Celtic (who looks like he’s away) was being looked at by AC Milan although it looks like he’s going to Brighton.

Cieran Slicker is at Man City - I don’t know a great deal about him although (I know this means nothing) I signed him on football manager for Darlington on my March from non league football to the premier league and they reckoned he was about League 1 level so he may not be an option if SI Games are right with this one.

Good info in there, the only one of the younger ones i had heard of was the lad at celtic. I read the Milan link also.

Shame none of them are a bit older and breaking thru just now.

Hopefully one of them develops into s good keeper. Christ knows we could do with one or 2

7 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I thought you were Irish and didn't support scotland?

Whilst I have already explained to you several times I am not a huge supporter of international football or massively patriotic, I have lived in Scotland most my life so excuse me if I wish to have an opinion on the national team. Honestly give this xenophobic pish a rest.

Liam Kelly is quite obviously the "best of the rest". If McCrorie/Doohan weren't Old Firm players they'd barely be in this discussion, both have fatal flaws. Suspect Kelly, plus the likes of Bain and someone else we've not heard of yet, will battle it out before the next standout appears.

Marshall/Gordon are both a similar level so it's just personal preference IMO. McLaughlin must surely be wondering about his decision to join Rangers though? Every chance he could've been number 1 if he'd actually been playing somewhere this season.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McLaughlin isn't good enough to be number 1. He's in the Neil Alexander category of goalkeepers.

He's a step up from Alexander.  He did really well at the start of the season when McGregor was injured, and even once he came back there was a few games of rotating them, but McGregor's form has been such that he's not had a look in for months.

McLaughlin and Alexander were both great for us and rarely made mistakes but they wouldn't dig you out of trouble every game with a stunning save like Gordon still does every week, McGregor can do and they're not on Marsalls level either. 

He's a step up from Alexander.  He did really well at the start of the season when McGregor was injured, and even once he came back there was a few games of rotating them, but McGregor's form has been such that he's not had a look in for months.

If he had kept playing then you'd have fairly quickly realised he wasn't Rangers level IMO.

Neil Alexander was actually decent tbh. He wasn’t McGregor or pre-injury Gordon, but he was fine. A solid 6/10.

McLaughlin is kinda similar, he’s fine. He won’t lose games, and he has played really well this season when selected. Unfortunately for him, McGregor just decided he wasn’t going to concede goals anymore.

9 hours ago, mylothedog said:

I'd take another look at annti niemi

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Two pages in and no one has mentioned Antti Niemi.

Nah, he has.