The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

How has Slicker looked for the U21s? He’s made the bench a couple of times for Man City this year (presumably due to COVID and injuries). 

I figure he’s at best 4th choice but might get a chance on loan soon? Not sure if he’s just another Jordan Archer?

Raw and weak on crosses but he is a big lad that spreads himself well at least he has that in his favour 

I suppose the rest will come the more that he plays another guy that could benefit with a loan and game time 

On 18/11/2021 at 20:09, Ludo*1 said:

Won't hear a word against him. Top keeper.

Neil Sullivan and Paul Gallacher on the other hand...

Paul Gallacher was a good keeper. 

Wish we had one of those three now, Kelly looked dreadful in the Championship for QPR. 

It's a shame McCrorie stalled so much, he looked very good in the Scottish championship. 

On 21/11/2021 at 16:12, tartanbrush said:

Slicker had a few dodgy moments first u21 game he played, Archie Mair came in against Kazakhstan and Slicker the played again against Belgium, looked decent in that game, few good stops, quite vocal and looks confident

Mair was absolutely pish in that Kazakhstan game. Struggled with some basic stuff and was at fault with the goal. I hope he can improve and become an option for us but I remain unconvinced. Hopefully Slicker has a bit more about him. 

• 4 weeks later...

BBC reported that Steve Clarke was at Motherwell v St Johnstone on Saturday in part to look over his backup goalkeepers no doubt. It made me think about David Marshall - should be interesting to see where he ends up in January and if he can force his way ahead of Zander Clark,  Liam Kelly or Jon McLaughlin.

42 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

BBC reported that Steve Clarke was at Motherwell v St Johnstone on Saturday in part to look over his backup goalkeepers no doubt. It made me think about David Marshall - should be interesting to see where he ends up in January and if he can force his way ahead of Zander Clark,  Liam Kelly or Jon McLaughlin.

Yea it will be interesting to see where Marshall ends up. Going through a rough spell just now but I would like to think he's got more left in the tank. If he stays in England would it just be League 1 he would have offers from? would maybe like to see him come back to the SPL. An Aberdeen, Hibs type maybe?

On 20/11/2021 at 11:10, General dissaray said:

Difffernce is Leicester City tried to buy McGregor when did a EPL club try and buy Clarke or Kelly?

Did Leicester actually try to buy McGregor or was it just lazy paper talk?

He would have to dislodge Tielemans, Soumare or Ndidi, I like McGregor but I think he'd struggle to take the pace of any of they 3.

But if the bid was true then I imagine he would have had a good relationship with Rodgers and they would probably have trebled his wages so if it was a genuine interest then I think he would have left Celtic.

7 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Did Leicester actually try to buy McGregor or was it just lazy paper talk?

He would have to dislodge Tielemans, Soumare or Ndidi, I like McGregor but I think he'd struggle to take the pace of any of they 3.

But if the bid was true then I imagine he would have had a good relationship with Rodgers and they would probably have trebled his wages so if it was a genuine interest then I think he would have left Celtic.

:lol:

A month or so old, but thought it was worth posting for people who might be interested. It's funny how football turns. If Derby had their shit together in the summer David Marshall could have left in time and been called up as number one for the remaining 7 World Cup qualifying games. As it happened we got Craig Gordon who was standout.

• 2 weeks later...

Some fall from grace for Marshall. From playing in the Euros 6 months ago, to ending his contract at Derby early to become QPR’s third choice keeper behind Jordan Archer.

Just retire mate. Have some dignity.

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

Some fall from grace for Marshall. From playing in the Euros 6 months ago, to ending his contract at Derby early to become QPR’s third choice keeper behind Jordan Archer.

"Back-up keeper Archer hurt his shoulder while making a decisive penalty save in Saturday’s FA Cup tie against Rotherham. With first-choice keeper Seny Dieng at the Africa Cup of Nations with Senegal, Archer’s injury leaves teenager Joe Walsh as Rangers’ only option unless a keeper is signed before this weekend’s match."

Seems a bit of an odd move in that it's pretty good in the short term, but you'd imagine Seny Dieng will be back as first choice when he returns from Afcon and so it won't guarantee him a place in the Scotland squad for the playoff in March and he's potentially back at square one in the summer if he wants to take part in the Nations League.

That's assuming getting back into the national team is a driver for his move of course.

Edited by 2426255

I have zero issue with anyone wanting to prolong their career as much as possible. There's no other job like being a sportsman and if that's been your passion for decades then of course you'll continue doing that rather than earning a quarter of the money doing something you don't enjoy as much. There's nothing undignified about it.