The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He did well.  Although I am old school and like to see keepers come for the odd cross rather than leaving it to defenders all the time.  Helps take the pressure off and kill the game as opposed to it being cleared only for the opposition  get it back again.

In saying that, what the feck do I know, when you look at our current/recent defensive record.

Young Robbie (McCrorie) has been injured pretty much the majority of my time here. He played in a behind closed doors game on Wednesday and that was his first game since prior to Christmas - probably December or November time so when Robbie's ready I'll be giving him an opportunity to see if he can stake a claim to be a starting goalie here moving forward in the future.

Michael Beale

https://youtu.be/38iqWaxqtAY?t=646

On 29/03/2023 at 23:28, Gordon EF said:

Not that he had that much to do but I thought Gunn looked absolutely solid any time he was called into action. Dealt with a few high shots well. Had hands like glue when anything bounced in front of him and had Spain's only real chance of the night (Joselu's header off the bar) well covered. He looked good with the ball at his feet and has an absolute beast of a kick out. On the evidence of the last two games, I'd be more than happy for Gunn to keep the jersey.

Agreed. Hadn't saw much of him at club level to be honest but last week he just 'looked liked a modern goalkeeper'. We now have a lot of players very comfortable on the ball so the fact he looks happy with the ball at his feet is a big plus. As good as Gordon is/has been i break out into a sweat every time the ball is at his feet!

On 29/03/2023 at 23:28, Gordon EF said:

Not that he had that much to do but I thought Gunn looked absolutely solid any time he was called into action. Dealt with a few high shots well. Had hands like glue when anything bounced in front of him and had Spain's only real chance of the night (Joselu's header off the bar) well covered. He looked good with the ball at his feet and has an absolute beast of a kick out. On the evidence of the last two games, I'd be more than happy for Gunn to keep the jersey.

Aye, looks absolutely fine. Defence didn't even have any of the fluttery moments we've come to expect.

Wonder if he'll wind his old man up when he hits 7 caps  :P

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2023 at 00:43, Sugar_Army said:

He did well.  Although I am old school and like to see keepers come for the odd cross rather than leaving it to defenders all the time.  Helps take the pressure off and kill the game as opposed to it being cleared only for the opposition  get it back again.

In saying that, what the feck do I know, when you look at our current/recent defensive record.

Aye me too, but Gordon is a goal-line goalie too. In fact, I can't remember a goalie coming for crosses since perhaps Sullivan.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye me too, but Gordon is a goal-line goalie too. In fact, I can't remember a goalie coming for crosses since perhaps Sullivan.

If Gordan had come for the ball and wiped out Harry Kane in THAT match then we would have built a statue outside Hampden to him and Griffiths.

• 2 weeks later...

Murray Johnson been sent on loan to QoS for the season next year.

Intrigued to see how he gets on as there’s really high hopes for him, still only 18 and seemed to do a superb job for Airdrie last season when he had his emergency loan spells there, bearing in mind he was 17 at the time.

Got a contract with Hibs running until 2027.