The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah im not saying Laidlaw isnt one of the better goalkeepers in terms of stopping shots in the league, just that being that doesnt mean youre a great keeper when the competition is dross.

Folk are just seeing Gunn high up Championship ranks and ignoring how shit the other keepers are.

Its the people who think hes going to be clearly better than Clark/Kelly that are in for a shock. He'll be better in some ways, but also worse. Im sure hes fairly shit with crosses for example and flaps at them.

If we could get Clark in that form he had the season when St. Johnstone won the cup double, I'd be happy to see him take over from Gordon, he was fantastic that year. Sadly, that was an outlier and he's generally never been up to that level before (or since, though he seems to be doing okay at Hearts).

13 hours ago, Comrie said:

Someone considered Angus Gunn good enough to be England's #1?

I want whatever he's on.

As for my post from the Angus Gunn outlines, he's been ahead of many of the current crop of England goalkeepers for most of their careers. He won loads of U21 caps and has been in the senior squad.

Many older goalkeepers than him have been capped in the past.

England's current crop of goalkeepers are pretty dreadful, it's not as he has to get ahead of a young starlet like Donnarumna. 

It's unlikely but certainly not inconceivable that he could have got England caps in future. Indeed, his long held belief is probably why he delayed switching over.

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

As for my post from the Angus Gunn outlines, he's been ahead of many of the current crop of England goalkeepers for most of their careers. He won loads of U21 caps and has been in the senior squad.

Many older goalkeepers than him have been capped in the past.

England's current crop of goalkeepers are pretty dreadful, it's not as he has to get ahead of a young starlet like Donnarumna. 

It's unlikely but certainly not inconceivable that he could have got England caps in future. Indeed, his long held belief is probably why he delayed switching over.

Aaron Ramsdale seems fairly certain to be their next long term first choice.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aaron Ramsdale seems fairly certain to be their next long term first choice.

Possibly, or he could end up with a bit of a Joe Hart esque decline.

And he isn't that good to begin with really, no other top sides were interested in him when Arsenal signed him.

And now Arsenal are in a position to do better, they just might. They have cycled through plenty of first choice keepers since Lehman left (Sczensey was probably the best).

Edited by Satoshi

Angus Gunn is probably better than the other options at the moment (I’d still have Gordon ahead of him if it wasn’t for his awful injury) so for that reason happy enough to give him a chance providing he has the right attitude, which Clarke is obviously confident he will. The idea that he could be England No.1 is absolute delusional stuff however. 

13 hours ago, JagsCG said:

The idea that he could be England No.1 is absolute delusional stuff however. 

Number 1 - I agree. But he is only 26yo and his club career seems to on the up again. Not out of the question he would squeeze into a squad if there were a couple of injuries. Currently Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale. Probably Henderson would be next. Then who else??

13 hours ago, immcinto said:

Number 1 - I agree. But he is only 26yo and his club career seems to on the up again. Not out of the question he would squeeze into a squad if there were a couple of injuries. Currently Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale. Probably Henderson would be next. Then who else??

As I made clear on my earlier post, he was far ahead of most of these guys for most of his career and plenty of older keepers than him have been capped (by England and others).

Entirely appropriate for him to think he might get a England cap in future, and/or be number 1. He was number 1 at under 21 level and was a regular at Championship level whilst Pope was getting the odd game in the conference leagues.

Although I don't think Gunn was anywhere near an England call up, I do feel this is a massive coup for Scotland and I also think the time is right in his career. At 27, he's still got another 6 years or more in him, and he is just starting to hit his prime, and really for him, he's just started to establish himself as a First Choice Goalkeeper so should only improve.

With Ramsdale set to be the next long term Number 1 for England, and with legs in Pickford, Pope, Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, plus Under 21 Goalkeeper Josh Giffiths now getting First Team football at West Brom, he's obviously not seen any hope of getting in now, so why not boost your experiences and your profile by joining the nation of your Father?

Anyway, I'd rather chat about Scotland than them, and I honestly think this is another masterstroke by Clarke, he's quite clearly a guy that people want to play under.

8 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

"Likely" was a joke. But its possible, he would be 37 then. A mere spring chicken in comparison with gordon or marshall

Gordon will be fifty by then, and probably about ready to hand over the gloves to someone else. We'll have to see about Marshall.

Also, I'm taking bets that young Gunn racks up AT LEAST twice as many caps as Gordon Marshall. Act now before I change my mind, people.

9 hours ago, BTFD said:

Gordon will be fifty by then, and probably about ready to hand over the gloves to someone else. We'll have to see about Marshall.

Also, I'm taking bets that young Gunn racks up AT LEAST twice as many caps as Gordon Marshall. Act now before I change my mind, people.

50p?

13 hours ago, BTFD said:

Too much time on my hands...

Image1.png

On 15/03/2023 at 12:07, BingMcCrosby said:

Likely to be our keeper for the next ten years🤷‍♂️

Surely another contender will appear in the next few years.  It's unbelievable that we have not produced anyone of any quality for so long - The Gordon, Marshall, McGregor era is almost over and yet there is no top class goalkeeper under the age of 38.  Our top clubs all have full time goalkeeping coaches and run academies and somehow no one even comes close to matching  these old timers. Often Scotland will play what many would term an inferior nation but more often than not they have a top class goalie playing in one of the better leagues Oblak and Handanovic for Slovenia are two of the worlds best (Oblak the best definitely) so what is that Slovenia do that we don't?

My own club Aberdeen have a woeful record in producing goalies - no home grown keeper has gone on to have a successful career since perhaps Bryan Gunn ironically.  I wouldnt count Bain as he has had years not playing.

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

50p?

You must be made of money willing to take on such a bet.

I, too would like a wager with you that Angus Gunn accumulates more caps than Gordon Marshall (and have a feeling this might be achieved within the next fotnight)

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Surely another contender will appear in the next few years.  It's unbelievable that we have not produced anyone of any quality for so long - The Gordon, Marshall, McGregor era is almost over and yet there is no top class goalkeeper under the age of 38.  Our top clubs all have full time goalkeeping coaches and run academies and somehow no one even comes close to matching  these old timers. Often Scotland will play what many would term an inferior nation but more often than not they have a top class goalie playing in one of the better leagues Oblak and Handanovic for Slovenia are two of the worlds best (Oblak the best definitely) so what is that Slovenia do that we don't?

My own club Aberdeen have a woeful record in producing goalies - no home grown keeper has gone on to have a successful career since perhaps Bryan Gunn ironically.  I wouldnt count Bain as he has had years not playing.

Tbf we've also seen better teams than us who've been let down by a honking goalie. Ukraine were miles ahead in the play-off last summer yet we could've snuck through because of the jobber they had in goals. England also went years without a decent goalkeeper until Hart emerged (before he turned to shit). It might just be bad luck, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we we end up losing points this campaign because of the dip in quality. 

As an aside, I'm sure I've mentioned him on here before but Aberdeen's Blessing Oluyemi is the best goalkeeper I've seen in the u18 league this season so there's a kernel of hope for you. I think Murray Johnson is supposed to be the standout in that age group, though, but I don't think I've seen him. 

56 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I know Accies1874 has just pipped me to it but Blessing Oluyemi is getting high praise at SFA towers at the moment and has looked like a really good prospect both times I have watched him. I also had high hopes for Harry Stone at Hearts,  but his development seems to have stalled, and I heard his loan deal at Partick Thistle was a disaster, thought he would have been an established Scotland Under 21 Keeper by now but might end up going down as another "could of been" player.

Totally agree though, our record of producing Goalkeepers over the last 10-20 years has been pretty dire. I love Gordon but it says everything you need to know that he is still our No1. I've heard of many a young Goalkeeper who was going to break through, but they just haven't. I don't think this is necessarily down to the Coaching, a million different factors come into play, more youth players are emptied by a club than make it, but nobody points to the standard of coaching the outfield players get, it's simply just accepted that people weren't good enough or it just didn't happen.