The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the league, but I'd guess that someone who hasn't spent about 40% of the games they've been available for on the bench probably isn't the best in the division.

Daniel Bachmann and Freddie Woodman are two I know well, both played basically every game, both at clubs who have conceded fewer than Norwich, and two who I'd absolutely jump at if they were available to play for Scotland.

Gunns competition is Tim Krull, a guy with a better pedigree whos played at a higher level more consistently than both players mentioned at league and international level. So its all relative, he may well be the best in the division.

I've not watched enough championship football to have an informed opinion.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

8 hours ago, immcinto said:

Angus Gunn is currently the statistically highest ranked GK in the Championship. Zander Clark and Liam Kelly are simply not at the same level. The idea that there is any debate about who is now Number 1 is absurd. Even Kelly and Clark will know the score

He's not switched for no reason 

He's been told and will be our new no1

Goalkeeping statistics are notoriously dodgy, id be wary of reading a huge amount into them.

WyScout have Remi Matthews as the worst keeper in our top flight and im sure last season had Ross Laidlaw as one of the best.

This season FBRef have Ederson as one of the worst keepers in the EPL too.

The English Championship has some amount of shite keepers in it looking at that list.

Think across the board except for the very top, that the goalkeeper position doesn't feel near as strong as it was say a decade or so ago. The role has changed probably more than any other on the pitch, but it's not producing consistent excellent players in that position it seems like looking at who currently gets a game in the Scottish top flight and that Championship list posted above.

I agree stats can be misleading. However, if Clark really is at the level of even a mediocre Championship GK then he should sack his agent. He was sitting on the bench at Hearts on 2 grand a week at 30yo. And Liam Clark was surplus to requirements at QPR. You can't compare either of them to Gunn

Why do we have to do this? Mortifying.

Whilst i'm happy that we might have found a half decent solution to the GK problem, folk don't half get carried away.  He's a standard championship level keeper - better than what we have in his age range for sure, but if there was even a tiny chance of an England call up (never mind being their number one ffs) he wouldn't consider us. I'm fine with that - If he's good for us i'm not arsed. 

Also i'm guessing 'ah but he's got Krul in front of him!' is the new 'Caicedo was meant to be leaving'.

Edited by Fratelli

6 hours ago, immcinto said:

I agree stats can be misleading. However, if Clark really is at the level of even a mediocre Championship GK then he should sack his agent. He was sitting on the bench at Hearts on 2 grand a week at 30yo. And Liam Clark was surplus to requirements at QPR. You can't compare either of them to Gunn

a fourth option? Call him up also and Clarke can get a good look at him. 

6 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Whilst i'm happy that we might have found a half decent solution to the GK problem, folk don't half get carried away.  He's a standard championship level keeper - better than what we have in his age range for sure, but if there was even a tiny chance of an England call up (never mind being their number one ffs) he wouldn't consider us. I'm fine with that - If he's good for us i'm not arsed. 

Also i'm guessing 'ah but he's got Krul in front of him!' is the new 'Caicedo was meant to be leaving'.

It's worth ignoring pretty much anything that guy has to say

9 hours ago, immcinto said:

Zander Clark is a 30yo Scottish keeper whos never played outside Scotland, the chances of him moving to the Championship were slim due to that. Rightly or wrongly most clubs arent looking for that profile and instead will go for someone from within the English systsm already. 

I think people will be in for a shock with Gunn tbh.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goalkeeping statistics are notoriously dodgy, id be wary of reading a huge amount into them.

WyScout have Remi Matthews as the worst keeper in our top flight and im sure last season had Ross Laidlaw as one of the best.

Ross Laidlaw was County’s player of the year.  He’s seen off challengers from the English championship pretty much every season.  I agree with your general point, but if we’re in a situation where Clark is being tipped to start for Scotland, having Ross Laidlaw in the top ranks of SPFL keepers isn’t a million miles off. 

10 hours ago, immcinto said:

This is true, but with the caveat that the English championship might be the most obvious case of diminishing returns in football.  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Zander Clark is a 30yo Scottish keeper whos never played outside Scotland, the chances of him moving to the Championship were slim due to that. Rightly or wrongly most clubs arent looking for that profile and instead will go for someone from within the English systsm already. 

Yeah.  I’m getting all sorts of Jordan Archer vibes off this guy.  The Twitter link above does him no favours, though.  He’s quite clearly not good enough for England.  

9 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Krul isn't in front of him.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ross Laidlaw is legit excellent with stopping shots with his feet, up there with the best in the league. Other than that, he's a decent bottom six keeper, that's it.

12 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Ross Laidlaw is legit excellent with stopping shots with his feet, up there with the best in the league. Other than that, he's a decent bottom six keeper, that's it.

Yup.  You could argue that eight teams in the division have a  decent bottom six keeper, and a couple not even that.  

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What specifically about Gunn is going to shock people? Other than the ScotsAbroad weirdo I don't think anyone is getting up or down enough about him to feel anything about how he ends up doing.

Gunn doesn’t need to be a world beater, he just needs to be a little bit better than the other options for this to be a worthwhile exercise.

FWIW, if Craig Gordon gets back from his leg break and is playing at the same level as before then I would still expect him to be the number one keeper for us, with Gunn as the second choice. Gunn is just better than your Zander Clark’s and your Liam Kelly’s and your Robby McCrorie’s and he’s a more sustainable option than asking David Marshall out of retirement. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Ross Laidlaw was County’s player of the year.  He’s seen off challengers from the English championship pretty much every season.  I agree with your general point, but if we’re in a situation where Clark is being tipped to start for Scotland, having Ross Laidlaw in the top ranks of SPFL keepers isn’t a million miles off. 

Yeah im not saying Laidlaw isnt one of the better goalkeepers in terms of stopping shots in the league, just that being that doesnt mean youre a great keeper when the competition is dross.

Folk are just seeing Gunn high up Championship ranks and ignoring how shit the other keepers are.

21 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

What specifically about Gunn is going to shock people? Other than the ScotsAbroad weirdo I don't think anyone is getting up or down enough about him to feel anything about how he ends up doing.

Its the people who think hes going to be clearly better than Clark/Kelly that are in for a shock. He'll be better in some ways, but also worse. Im sure hes fairly shit with crosses for example and flaps at them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah im not saying Laidlaw isnt one of the better goalkeepers in terms of stopping shots in the league, just that being that doesnt mean youre a great keeper when the competition is dross.

Folk are just seeing Gunn high up Championship ranks and ignoring how shit the other keepers are.

Its the people who think hes going to be clearly better than Clark/Kelly that are in for a shock. He'll be better in some ways, but also worse. Im sure hes fairly shit with crosses for example and flaps at them.

Same argument could be levelled at Craig Gordon, whose distribution is usually a bit hair-raising (obvs though he's overall a superior keeper, albeit a very old one).

I trust that SC will adapt the tactics to mitigate the weaknesses of whichever keeper he chooses to start with.