The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Why would it be good to see? Would you not want him playing for us.

It was reported before we asked him and he turned us down. And was asked again at a later date. So potentially the same as Gunn, if he is even selected. Or wants to be.

Can you provide evidence that Gunn wouldn't feel value getting capped?

Good to see, as in it didn't happen. 

Also.... Evidence

Screenshot_20230224_203831.jpg

Just now, V.Aye.R said:

Good to see, as in it didn't happen. 

Also.... Evidence

Screenshot_20230224_203831.jpg

A picture of Angus Gunn wearing an England top isn't in any way evidence he wouldn't value playing for us.

Heres an article I found in seconds confirming Adams initially knocking us back in 2017. And also details his involvement with England at u20 level.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/is-che-adams-scottish-who-is-england-born-southampton-star-3278375

And here's Che in an England Jersey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9698919/amp/Striker-Che-Adams-decided-represent-Scotland-instead-England.html

And here's me delivering checkmate

matt hardy wrestling GIF by WWE

23 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

A picture of Angus Gunn wearing an England top isn't in any way evidence he wouldn't value playing for us.

Heres an article I found in seconds confirming Adams initially knocking us back in 2017. And also details his involvement with England at u20 level.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/is-che-adams-scottish-who-is-england-born-southampton-star-3278375

And here's Che in an England Jersey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9698919/amp/Striker-Che-Adams-decided-represent-Scotland-instead-England.html

And here's me delivering checkmate

matt hardy wrestling GIF by WWE

A young guy in his early 20s not being sure is vastly different to a grown man with a Scottish father not fancying it.

This isnt the smoking gun you think it is. 

Not clicking on the DM link, cause I'm not a massive cnut 

Just now, V.Aye.R said:

A young guy in his early 20s not being sure is vastly different to a grown man with a Scottish father not fancying it.

This isnt the smoking gun you think it is. 

Not clicking on the DM link, cause I'm not a massive cnut 

Where did you read Che Adams wasn't sure, but Angus Gunn didn't fancy it? That's just made up.

Both of them turned us down previously, both of them represented England.

The circumstances are exactly the same.

It was you who tried to say a picture of Gunn in an England Jersey was proof he wouldn't value a cap for us. So the Che Adams picture is im afraid a smoking "Gunn".

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Where did you read Che Adams wasn't sure, but Angus Gunn didn't fancy it? That's just made up.

Both of them turned us down previously, both of them represented England.

The circumstances are exactly the same.

It was you who tried to say a picture of Gunn in an England Jersey was proof he wouldn't value a cap for us. So the Che Adams picture is im afraid a smoking "Gunn".

They're both at totally different stages of life when the call up happened. Anyway we're not going to agree. 

I'll leave you to spend your free time reading the Daily Mail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to give him the benefit of any doubts.

On the plus side he is playing regularly for Norwich alongside Kenny McLean and Grant Hanley. Gunn has also played in games with Stuart Armstrong and Che Adams when he was at Southampton and Jacob Brown when he was on loan at Stoke City. 

1 minute ago, RobbieD said:

He’s literally been in England squads and that’s where his loyalty lies.

If he cared about Scotland, he would have been in squads years ago.

Obviously. It's just whether you're willing to overlook that to get a competent (if Gunn is that) goalkeeper in. I think it's understandable that folk are annoyed about it, and atm I'm just hoping he's a short-term solution until someone better rocks up. 

Clarke's said before that he accepts "rascals" in the squad as he puts ability above all and I'm guessing that's his thought process here; get someone in to do a job and just put aside what they've said in the past. 

He’s interested now.  The idea that somehow international football  is some kind of religious calling is nonsense.  We pick the best available qualified players.  Gunn is available, qualified, and better than the others, presumably.   

You can't pretend that commitment isn't a big part of football. There have been plenty of talented players (Scottish born ones too) that have clearly had zero interest in playing for Scotland. Gunn will get the benefit of the doubt to start with, but it is quite right that there are doubts about him given his history.

There’s plenty of English born players who would almost definitely have turned call ups from us had they been in with even a sniff of an England call up and gone on to do a job for us, so given that Angus Gunn has actually been in England squads I’ve no really issue with him taking his time before switching over.

Whether or not he’s actually any good is a different matter and we may get to see that in one of the next 2 games.