The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I posted these quotes from Steve Clarke a while back on the goalkeeping situation and specifically Robbie McRorie.

I think the National Team setup have chosen to take the bull by the horns and work with a young player and develop him into the goalkeeper we need rather than wait for one to come along. He has excellent  goalkeeping role models on the pitch in terms of McGregor, Gordon and even McLaughlin. 

image.thumb.png.73fe88040825bb7a74f60f306c19cc1b.png

Edited by 2426255

He fundamentally isn't good enough and I'm not sure he's going to change that hanging around at Rangers not playing. He'll be 27 when his current contract there finishes.
Tbf the only reason is I have Clarke so I'm hoping for the best

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm so Gordon has been on poorer form domestically for a while, but I think a lot of that is due to what's infront of him. He was probably in the same boat for the Ukraine game and played very well. Also perhaps not being captain helps?

My general feeling is that once Gordon goes for both Club and Country, is that Clark will take the gloves.

I suspect our longer term prospect might come from nowhere. Look at our right back situation now compared to 2 years ago (I think someone else made this comparison elsewhere)

11 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

I suspect our longer term prospect might come from nowhere. Look at our right back situation now compared to 2 years ago (I think someone else made this comparison elsewhere)

On a serious note, its rare for a keeper to be international ready at a young age. I hope your right but I suspect this is wishful thinking tbh.

Craig is our number one, we know that but I’ve shown that it doesn’t matter the level of the game - if someone needs a cap, I’ll play them. I’ll have a chat with Stevie Woods and John Carver next week and we’ll decide the best way to go with the goalkeepers in Turkey. I’d like to find another couple of young ones. I’m still looking. We’re watching all the time and exploring one or two avenues. But nothing real has come up so far. Robby has got all the attributes to be a top goalkeeper but he needs game time to work on decision making on the pitch. He needs experience.

Liam is playing every week for Motherwell and if he has to play, I’ve got no qualms about putting him in the team. I’ve also got Jon McLaughlin at Rangers but I want to keep young Robby involved because of his age, that’s why he’s in the squad. At the moment, we’ll keep looking and working with what we’ve got.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/scotland-boss-says-golden-oldie-28472681

Big Craig has assured me he’s going to try and play until he’s 50. When you look at Craig’s physical appearance, he’s physically fit and looks after himself. He had that long spell out in the middle of his career when he didn’t play so he’s determined to play as long as he can. After the disappointment of not getting to the World Cup, David Marshall decided that he was going to retire but Craig was immediately on my shoulder saying: ‘gaffer, I want to go to the next tournament’.

He doesn’t just want to go to Euro 2024, he wants to go to the World Cup in 2026 if he can. That’s good news. Is it feasible? He mentioned a keeper who played in a World Cup [at a good age, in 45-year-old Saudi Arabian Essam El-Hadary four years ago], Craig will be 43 but he’s got his eye on it.

Steve Clarke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/the-scotland-player-who-told-steve-clarke-hell-try-to-play-until-hes-50-as-manager-discusses-ryan-porteous-3916444

I’d be pretty surprised if we don’t just play Jon McLaughin if Gordon gets injured/suspended, regardless of whether he’s playing at Rangers or not.

If you’re going to play a shit keeper, it may as well be an experienced one.

The fact we didn’t try out another keeping tonight is pretty worrying 
Almost as if we have zero back up plan if something should happen to Gordon 

I don't see how playing 45 (or even 90) minutes in a low key friendly is going to give Liam Kelly any sort of experience he wouldn't already have from his over 100 top flight appearances.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I’d be pretty surprised if we don’t just play Jon McLaughin if Gordon gets injured/suspended, regardless of whether he’s playing at Rangers or not.

If you’re going to play a shit keeper, it may as well be an experienced one.

In most cases that would affect Hearts too, so they would bring in Zander Clarke, thereby would he not just get the Scotland nod too? Only assume he's not included in the national squad for now is because of the outcry that the Scotland back up gets zero game time?