The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely it’s something we have to monitor and we’re monitoring it. It’s possible we’ll have the same sort of Saturday as we had on Wednesday, but the most important part of that is that mum and baby do well.

Steve Clarke

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/22575152.scotland-manager-steve-clarke-braced-lose-expectant-father-craig-gordon-republic-ireland-rematch/

Didn't see this anywhere so post it hopefully their baby screw the nut on this one. There are big things at stake. 😄 

It's all about priorities.

He should have his phone propped against one of the posts with a zoom link to the maternity ward. A wee glance at it every 5 mins then a wee "well done you" to his Mrs when the sprog arrives is plenty.

However, that strategy comes with a danger that the first thing the bairn might see is Ireland lacing the ball past his forlorn, mud-streaked Dad [emoji853]

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

It's all about priorities.

He should have his phone propped against one of the posts with a zoom link to the maternity ward. A wee glance at it every 5 mins then a wee "well done you" to his Mrs when the sprog arrives is plenty.

However, that strategy comes with a danger that the first thing the bairn might see is Ireland lacing the ball past his forlorn, mud-streaked Dad emoji853.png

maybe a slight distraction will help with Craigy's kicking......

19 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Anyway. Another match, another cap for Gordon. Amazing still to think of the 15 years of Gordon/Marshall/McGregor 

I think the medium -term replacement is currently benched at Hearts. No idea who comes in after 

Ross Stewart?

Force Gordon to go until he's about 50 seems to be the plan.
There's no one near his quality coming through and it'll instantly be the weak spot in the team.

There's not really an alternative plan is there, it's not like you can magically invent a goalkeeper.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's not really an alternative plan is there, it's not like you can magically invent a goalkeeper.

Unearthing an eligible is the closest really. Clarke mentioned his team are trying to do that.

Wonder if he has someone in mind with those comments.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

BBC scotland should be funding a new series of ‘who do you think you are’  but the guests are exclusively middling English championship goalkeepers.

Edited by gannonball

Last night was his 73rd cap and in gaining it passed Tommy Boyd (72) and became the 6th most capped Scotsman in history. Ahead of him:

King Kenny 102

Jim Leighton 91

Darren Fletcher 80

Alex McLeish 77

Paul McStay 76

If he stays fit I fully expect that Euro 2024 will be his swansong. I think he will announce that next season (2023-24) will be his last which means he has 3 more opportunities to win something with Hearts and he will bow out after Germany, where he will realise a career dream of playing for Scotland at a major Championship. Should that all transpire and he remains fit throughout he could get anywhere from 10-20 more caps depending on the Euro draw, play offs, availability and success!

8/10 (dependent on group size) Euro 2024 qualifiers

2 potential play off games for Euro 2024

1 Friendly in November 2022

2 Friendlies prior to Euro 2024

3 games minimum at Euro 2024

He's a certainty now to pass McLeish and McStay and barring injury Fletcher. Ironically despite the success last night of getting into Nations League A he will likely have to continue to play into the 2024-25 season to ever play a match in it, due to the football calendar. 

You really wonder if not for injury how many caps he would have, certainly already surpassed Dalgleish if it hadn't been for injury. During his 'era' Marshall and McGregor won 89 caps! 

Yeah he'd either have already surpassed Dalglish or would've been on the brink of it.

Marshall and McGregor were two good goalkeepers in their prime so would've got some game time, and I think Gordon might've been dropped for McGregor at one point even before his injury but I could be misremembering.

He was my favourite Scotland player growing up which feels a bit mental considering I'm now way too old to (publicly) say I have a favourite player.