The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Christ.

Can only hope he is only there to be a glorified ballboy at training.

Seems odd having 4 keepers in the squad when we seem very reluctant to play anyone other than Gordon, no matter the opposition.

I think Clarke quite likes having a look at them in training for evaluation. Apparently McCrorie was in the last squad (officially or unofficially, I can't remember) and he liked the look of him.

Also, given tons of players are on holiday, there's probably an element of getting in whoever's around.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I think Clarke quite likes having a look at them in training for evaluation. Apparently McCrorie was in the last squad (officially or unofficially, I can't remember) and he liked the look of him.

Also, given tons of players are on holiday, there's probably an element of getting in whoever's around.

I get that - i just dont get why we feel the need to have 4 keepers in the squad at all.

I got bringing Marshall in as back up so he could have a look at Kelly and Clark in training without the pressure of possibly having to reply on them if something was to happen to Gordon. But with Marshall retired, I just dont see the logic in having 3 unproven keepers at this level floating about the squad.

McCrorie was training with the other goalkeepers at the start of this camp but I'm not sure if he's stayed the whole time. I'd assume so. I didn't know that he was also in the last squad, but that just adds to the fact that Clarke fancies him as he gave him a couple of call-ups in 2020 as well. 

He's not someone I've particularly liked when I've seen him in the Premiership (although seemed to do OK in the Old Firm this season?) and I'm not sure why we'd officially call him up if there's no chance of him getting in the matchday squads, but I'm getting the distinct impression that Clarke does not rate Clark or Kelly. 

f**k knows how McCrorie keeps getting a call up. He was utterly stinking with us, one of the worst keepers I've seen us use in the last 10 years.

Liam Kelly, for that matter is twice the player

Edited by ATLIS

If Gordon gets injured/retires I genuinely have no idea who would be our number 1. And I don't think Steve Clarke knows either. We have 3 or 4 of the same meh standard and after that a couple of young prospects that are still probably 5 years away. Its definitely a worry 

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

If Gordon gets injured/retires I genuinely have no idea who would be our number 1. And I don't think Steve Clarke knows either. We have 3 or 4 of the same meh standard and after that a couple of young prospects that are still probably 5 years away. Its definitely a worry 

very insightful, thanks for your contribution.

3 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

Shit. You're right.

We should start a thread about it.

On 09/06/2022 at 22:25, Elgin Macca said:

yep. It's not looking good. I think Liam Kelly edges it above the rest - he does have the occasional gaffe in him but seems more consistent with the odd spectacular save. The times I have seen Clarke, I haven't been impressed and surprised the likes of Aberdeen seem interested in him. 

if McGregor retires at Rangers, there is a chance McLaughlin goes on to be number one and goes back to playing regularly. I thought McLaughlin was good when he was at Hearts and above Liam Kelly in terms of all round ability but there is every chance Rangers go out and buy someone and he remains on the bench. Also, he will be 35 in September. See this fan puff piece - https://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2022/06/reports-claim-mclaughlin-is-to-be-new-rangers-number-one/

I don't think Clark will he good enough to hold down the number one spot, but we'll see how he gets on at his new club. The last 12-18 months he's been outstanding, but that followed a similar length of time of him being awful and the majority of Saints fans wanting him replaced.

Kelly is a better keeper but his size definitely holds him back, IMO. He seems tiny sometimes.

Don't know much about any of the other young keepers, even Ross Sinclair despite him being at Saints. He's been raved about for years with trials at Liverpool etc., but this season might decide things. Club are seemingly desperate to get him a loan to the Championship and then I think push for our side the season after. I wouldn't mind him getting a chance with us though tbh, as I think we're doomed this year regardless so it would be worth developing the youth.

My gut  instinct tells me Gunn will play when Gordon retires. He won't want to switch to Scotland to be the sub keeper.

He's not great, but miles ahead of anything else we have..........and thats how big a worry the situation is. 

Also wouldn't put it past Marshall coming out of retirement if guaranteed the starting spot.

Edited by red23

It's time to start panicking. 

Of the six goals we've conceded in this international break, Gordon could have done better for four of them (Ukraine first, all three Ireland goals) and was outright at fault for three of them (Ukraine first, Ireland first, Ireland third). 

Once you start to lose it because of age, it isn't graceful. Your performances fall off a cliff. Gordon still might be serviceable at SPFL level, hell he might even still be a good keeper at that level in the coming season. But he's showing signs that he might have entered permanent decline.

7 hours ago, red23 said:

My gut  instinct tells me Gunn will play when Gordon retires. He won't want to switch to Scotland to be the sub keeper.

He's not great, but miles ahead of anything else we have..........and thats how big a worry the situation is. 

Also wouldn't put it past Marshall coming out of retirement if guaranteed the starting spot.

I really hope we don’t ask Gunn to switch again, especially after he made it clear before he wants to play for England 

The guy isn’t good enough to be putting this much into convincing 

20 minutes ago, G51 said:

Of the six goals we've conceded in this international break, Gordon could have done better for four of them (Ukraine first, all three Ireland goals) and was outright at fault for three of them (Ukraine first, Ireland first, Ireland third). 

Once you start to lose it because of age, it isn't graceful. Your performances fall off a cliff. Gordon still might be serviceable at SPFL level, hell he might even still be a good keeper at that level in the coming season. But he's showing signs that he might have entered permanent decline.

Realistic who would you want to replace him? I fear all our keepers are serviceable at SPFL level 

Panicking won't achieve a thing.
Gordon is solid, so long as he is not facing an Irish avalanche brought on by a total shitebag xi in front of him.

He is very old even for a keeper though, so we do need to bleed in the next incumbent. As suggested before, if McLaughlin now becomes Rangers #1, then we might get a few years out of him, which might hopefully be enough to bring through a few younger guys.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Gordon is solid, so long as he is not facing an Irish avalanche brought on by a total shitebag xi in front of him.

He is very old even for a keeper though, so we do need to bleed in the next incumbent. As suggested before, if McLaughlin now becomes Rangers #1, then we might get a few years out of him, which might hopefully be enough to bring through a few younger guys.

I don’t see McLaughlin becoming No.1 unless he decides to move club 

RFC will be getting a replacement for McGregor 

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Realistic who would you want to replace him? I fear all our keepers are serviceable at SPFL level 

Just now, Gordopolis said:

He is very old even for a keeper though, so we do need to bleed in the next incumbent. As suggested before, if McGlaughlin now becomes Rangers #1, then we might get a few years out of him, which might hopefully be enough to bring through a few younger guys.

I don't know who replaces him tbh. You can make arguments for a couple of different guys, none of them are very convincing. 

But I fear the Golden Age of Scottish Goalkeeping has finally come to an end, eighteen years after it started.

Realistically it's going to be Liam Kelly.

And we're going to need to try and help him out by defending better which could even be a good idea to have been giving a go already in front of Gordon.

Beyond that hopefully someone comes through. Ross Sinclair has the frame but needs to be playing.

None of the goals we've lost in the last two games are goalkeeping howlers.  He could maybe have done a bit better with a couple of them if he'd got his decision making perfect, but no other keeper we've got available would be a better shout.

I saw folk blaming him for all 3 goals yesterday which is insane chat