The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, monthefife said:

Yes, he did pull off some world-class saves in that first half against Austria but that was all undone with his second half performance. Really poor. I'm not excusing the defence but at the very minimum the keeper has got to make a dive for the 2 goals but instead just stood there ball-watching. He's a tall keeper and he should be able to get to those. As for when the ball is at his feet, he is a bomb-scare. Zero composure, he either panics and hoofs the ball far too early or takes too long and underestimates how quickly opposing strikers will close him down. 

I thought Craig Gordon was poor with his distribution against Poland and was hoofing it long all the time, but when I re-watched the game his performance was better than I originally thought and his distribution was well balanced and accurate.

I think it will be the same when I re-watch the Austria game and I think he had a good game anyway.

Edited by 2426255

Yes, he did pull off some world-class saves in that first half against Austria but that was all undone with his second half performance. Really poor. I'm not excusing the defence but at the very minimum the keeper has got to make a dive for the 2 goals but instead just stood there ball-watching. He's a tall keeper and he should be able to get to those. As for when the ball is at his feet, he is a bomb-scare. Zero composure, he either panics and hoofs the ball far too early or takes too long and underestimates how quickly opposing strikers will close him down. 

There are bad takes and there are bad takes.

On 28/03/2022 at 11:01, jaggyness said:
On 27/03/2022 at 14:24, Donathan said:
I’ve got 15 caps altogether from those out with the main three since Gordon’s debut, so we must have made a GK substitution on a couple of occasions:

Scott Bain - 3 caps 
Jordan Archer - 1 cap
Jon McLaughlin - 2 caps
Matt Gilks - 3 caps
Cammy Bell - 1 cap
Neil Alexander - 3 caps
Rab Douglas - 2 caps (His other 17 predated Gordon’s debut) 

I remember vividly Craig Gordon replacing Rab Douglas in the San Siro which was 2005

Yeah, Rab got injured. He'd kinda came out of the cold after a little spell with Craig Gordon in the team towards the end of Vogts spell and looked to be perhaps first choice again as he started against Italy (I've no idea why he started that game as Gordon was getting rave reviews), got injured, and then Craig Gordon firmly established himself as number 1 I believe.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought Craig Gordon was poor with his distribution against Poland and was hoofing it long all the time, but when I re-watched the game his performance was better than I originally thought and his distribution was well balanced and accurate.

I think it will be the same when I re-watch the Austria game and I think he had a good game anyway.

Our goalkeepers have always been horrendous with their feet. People still talk about how the pass back rule 'killed' Jim Leighton off as a truly elite level keeper. Rab Douglas was absolutely notorious for his kicking skills being terrible to the point that he tended to throw the ball right up the park (best thrower of a ball I've seen!) and him dealing with a pass back usually resulted in a mistake. Gordon's another that always gets criticised for his distribution but he's still noticeably better than what came before, just that the game has moved on to make keepers more of a sweeper role.

I also know that Neil Sullivan used to shout 'Boom!' every time he took a goal kick which is completely irrelevant to the discussion but still utterly bizarre.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ive no idea why he started that game as Gordon was getting rave reviews

Experience apparently. 

Screenshot_20220331-140213_Chrome.thumb.jpg.688dc13c3ac9a4f78a0ded23c8be79f8.jpg

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Experience apparently. 

Screenshot_20220331-140213_Chrome.thumb.jpg.688dc13c3ac9a4f78a0ded23c8be79f8.jpg

Strange how his dealings with cross balls became pretty much Rab's biggest strength later on in his career. 

Most dominant keeper we've ever had in his second spell. Came for absolutely everything.

Bizarre how he just seemed to be a complete flapper with them during his spell for Celtic. 

5 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Big question is whether Marshall will reach the big 50 in terms of caps

I hope so but Gordon is the number 1 just now

Got to feel for him as I think he would have started one of these two games as Clarke does like him. Hopefully he can get a final starting gig in the championship or even cinch premiership (less likely) next season and cement his place as number 2 hopefully for the World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, monthefife said:

I find it incredulous that in Scotland we have hardly any young GK's even close to challenging Craig Gordon for that no.1 jersey. 

I dont think it is helped that our SPL teams very rarely give Scottish keepers a decent run - or consider them in the first place as a signing option.. 

My team, the Dons, have hardly had a Scottish keeper since Leighton - OK Clangers was there for a few years but it always seemed that he wasnt quite up to it and would be moved on eventually. We now have Lewis who is looking as if he is reaching his sell by date and all the talk is of replacing him with Hlavky or Alnwick. 

When did Hearts, Hibs or Dundee Utd have a long term decent Scottish keeper?  Are all the goalies in lower divisions dross......OK Celtic had Gordon and Bain (who was never long term) and Rangers have an ageing McGregor (who wont play for us) but they too are always linked with foreign goalies when looking for a replacement....Celtic even spending around £5m on a Greek keeper that I cant even recall his name.

Whenever i watch the Under 21's it is even more depressing - expect to see the next big thing come through and always seem to be disappointed...Slicker the latest who will probably find the Joran Archer career path.

Look at this list......only three top class goalies to come through the Under 21's in the last twenty years are, surprise surprise.....Gordon, McGregor and Marshall.  Otherwise its a succession of goalies who have not really gone on to have significant club careers at all.

Scotland U21 - Record of goalkeepers | Transfermarkt

On 18/04/2022 at 15:33, monthefife said:

I find it incredulous that in Scotland we have hardly any young GK's even close to challenging Craig Gordon for that no.1 jersey. 

Aye I don't know why that is or what you do about that. Anyone in youth coaching on here have any insight?

And I hope you excuse the pedantry, but you find it incredible or you are incredulous. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2022 at 12:23, 2426255 said:

On the surface looks like a pretty good move, but can he remain number one when Seny Dieng returns from Afcon? If he can't the best case scenario he plays 5 games up to and including Barnsley (a) on 12th Feb before he is displaced and worst case he only plays two games before he is displaced when QPR play Swansea on the 25th Jan depending upon how long Senegal stay in the competition.

Then where does that leave Marshall? Not much further forward than where he was at Derby County potentially. I'll definitely be interested to see how it goes but the jury is out for me as to whether this will be a good move.

David Marshall to leave QPR at the end of the season.

It's a shame how it all worked out in the end especially after it started so well at QPR, but David Marshall is basically back at square one. Not sure where he will go next but maybe a club in the SPL would be something worth considering at this point. 

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/six-players-to-depart-qpr-060522/

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

David Marshall to leave QPR at the end of the season.

It's a shame how it all worked out in the end especially after it started so well at QPR, but David Marshall is basically back at square one. Not sure where he will go next but maybe a club in the SPL would be something worth considering at this point. 

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/six-players-to-depart-qpr-060522/

Pretty sure he was linked with Hibs but not sure if that was because of Maloney

18 hours ago, gannonball said:

Pretty sure he was linked with Hibs but not sure if that was because of Maloney

I don't expect David Marshall to be selected for June's Scotland squad and I'm guessing he will have to establish himself as #1 in pre-season wherever he goes if he plans on making the September squad and ultimately Qatar (assuming we have made it through the playoffs).

Both Liam Kelly and Craig Gordon have made the choice to move to Scottish clubs where they are the established #1 which has aided their National Team careers.

• 1 month later...

Could watch his penalty save against Serbia all day. Genuinely one of my favourite ever moments in football! 

A great servant to us and hope gets back to his best for Hibs.

If any good Scottish keepers in their 20s would like to come out of the woodwork that would be swell....