The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Beginning to think you've got a bit of a thing for Luton, Dryhorce.

How's Maxwell Blackpool been getting on so far this year?

I like to see small teams punch above there weight and do well with a small budget,there doing well one of the form teams in the championship 

I don't think Maxwell has been involved much after his injury 

On 14/01/2022 at 12:23, 2426255 said:

On the surface looks like a pretty good move, but can he remain number one when Seny Dieng returns from Afcon? If he can't the best case scenario he plays 5 games up to and including Barnsley (a) on 12th Feb before he is displaced and worst case he only plays two games before he is displaced when QPR play Swansea on the 25th Jan depending upon how long Senegal stay in the competition.

Then where does that leave Marshall? Not much further forward than where he was at Derby County potentially. I'll definitely be interested to see how it goes but the jury is out for me as to whether this will be a good move.

David Marshall has had the best possible run in the team, has he done enough to keep his place now that Seny Dieng is back from helping Senegal win the African Cup of Nations?

Zander Clark injured last night (suspected calf injury). David Marshall played again last night - but I can't help but feel it's a game by game decision at the moment and unfortunately QPR have hit a sticky patch in terms of results with 3 defeats in their last 4.

Zander Clark injured. Craig Gordon - Covid. David Marshall was dropped to the bench for QPR - he has had a good run but if he is just warming the bench will that be enough to earn a recall? 🤔 Liam Kelly putting a strong case for selection. 

Real stroke of luck for David Marshall. He was given another chance as Seny Dieng came off injured at half time. Unfortunately QPR are now trailing 1 - 0 with 5 minutes left. Zander Clark still not in St Johnstone's squad. Craig Gordon back though!

Edited by 2426255

11 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Angus Gunn playing very well for Norwich lately. Surely we’ve got to ask the question again? He’s 26 now and must realise an England call up is a pipe dream. 

We’ve asked the question more than once and he’s alway said no 

Get him in the bin 

Cieran Slicker on the bench for Man City in the FA Cup tonight.

They’ve actually named 2 keepers on the bench with the experienced Scott Carson also on the bench. 

They clearly rate him and this looks like a move to give him some first team squad experience as opposed to this being an emergency move. 

Regarding Cieran Slikcer’s current age, he is 19 years old as of 2021.

He was born in Oldham, England, in 2002. And Slicker celebrates his birthday on September 15 every year.

Slicker was involved in football at the age of seven as he was always passionate about it.

Meanwhile, Slicker grew up idolizing England goalie Joe Hart.

I will say he doesn't exactly look the most imposing between the sticks. Looked a lot slighter than Ederson and Carson when watching the warm-up at the weekend. Quick google shows him at 6' 1" the same as the Brazilian and slightly shorter than Carson but i'm not sure about that, looked quite a bit shorter to those two to me. Maybe just his frame playing tricks and he can bulk up a bit? 

I seen Man City Academy vs PSG in the UEFA Youth League earlier in the season and he was on the bench behind Mikki Van Sas, although it seems they have been sharing those ties between them this season, playing 3 each, so it's promising that Slicker has been promoted ahead of him to these kind of positions on the bench

I see big Zander Clark missed another match due to injury last night. St Johnstone have one game left before Steve Clarke announces his Scotland squad, so unless he plays a blinder (If he plays at all) I can't see him being selected for the National Team - especially given the competition from Liam Kelly, David Marshall and favoritism towards Jon McLaughlin. 

Edited by 2426255

On 27/02/2022 at 00:29, Junior_Arab said:

Angus Gunn playing very well for Norwich lately. Surely we’ve got to ask the question again? He’s 26 now and must realise an England call up is a pipe dream. 

Playing very well? Is your TV broken mate? He’s been playing absolutely fucking gash!

On 03/03/2022 at 12:50, RobbieD said:

Playing very well? Is your TV broken mate? He’s been playing absolutely fucking gash!

Fair enough. I was of the opinion that he started poorly when he got into the team but had come on to a game lately. But then you ever so eloquently put me right. 

So here’s what trusted scouting website Whoscored.com have made of his last 5 games: 

369F3978-548A-45E4-A360-6E66E77BED74.thumb.png.f7733d5033842bb066b8f4bf9cf36634.png

That’s an average of 6.97

Just for reference I had a quick look at a few other prominent keepers to see how that compares…

Ederson - 6.73

Kasper Schmeichel - 6.55

Alisson - 6.99

David de Gea - 6.64

So I might not bin my TV just yet…

On 04/03/2022 at 23:12, Junior_Arab said:

Fair enough. I was of the opinion that he started poorly when he got into the team but had come on to a game lately. But then you ever so eloquently put me right. 

So here’s what trusted scouting website Whoscored.com have made of his last 5 games: 

369F3978-548A-45E4-A360-6E66E77BED74.thumb.png.f7733d5033842bb066b8f4bf9cf36634.png

That’s an average of 6.97

Just for reference I had a quick look at a few other prominent keepers to see how that compares…

Ederson - 6.73

Kasper Schmeichel - 6.55

Alisson - 6.99

David de Gea - 6.64

So I might not bin my TV just yet…

You’re judging goalies based on stats from a website 😂😂😂

I’ll stick with old school actually using my eyes to watch the player myself.