The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I have zero issue with anyone wanting to prolong their career as much as possible. There's no other job like being a sportsman and if that's been your passion for decades then of course you'll continue doing that rather than earning a quarter of the money doing something you don't enjoy as much. There's nothing undignified about it.

It is undignified to take a wage for being a goalkeeper when you’re worse than Jordan Archer. It’s fraud, simple as.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

I have zero issue with anyone wanting to prolong their career as much as possible. There's no other job like being a sportsman and if that's been your passion for decades then of course you'll continue doing that rather than earning a quarter of the money doing something you don't enjoy as much. There's nothing undignified about it.

of course there isn't and at 36, a couple of years left to give. 

Wonder how many posters would turn down £3k - £5k a week because of how a few others may perceive them 🤣

And I have seen Jordan Archer play twice in the past couple of seasons  - Marshall easily the number 2 there. I haven't seen their number 1 to offer an opinion on their relative merits. 

It’s all happened very quickly and I’m delighted, QPR needed a goalkeeper and I’m just happy to help. I can’t wait to get started, I’m ready to go and there’s a real hunger in me to do well. The lads here have done great and I have watched them a couple of times this season. The team are in a great position and it seems as though it’s going to be an exciting end to the season. 

I’ve been at the top end of this league a number of times, and hopefully that experience can help the team progress, I just want to perform well. Seny has done really well and I know Jordan from the national setup. It’s unfortunate what happened to him – but hopefully I can perform well, starting from a massive game against West Brom.

David Marshall

David is walking immediately into a big game against West Brom. He is a great character and every bit of feedback we had on him was positive. He has not come here to sit on the bench. He has come here to push Seny and fight for the jersey, and we always need to have that competition.

Mark Warburton

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/david-marshall-joins-qpr-110122/

First time looking at this thread and some of the names make me shudder. Ross Doohan? Angus Gunn? Jordan Archer?

With those three we best hope opponents don't ever get a shot away.

Skip to 24:25 for a live interview with David Marshall where he discusses his move to QPR. Too long to transcribe.

On the surface looks like a pretty good move, but can he remain number one when Seny Dieng returns from Afcon? If he can't the best case scenario he plays 5 games up to and including Barnsley (a) on 12th Feb before he is displaced and worst case he only plays two games before he is displaced when QPR play Swansea on the 25th Jan depending upon how long Senegal stay in the competition.

Then where does that leave Marshall? Not much further forward than where he was at Derby County potentially. I'll definitely be interested to see how it goes but the jury is out for me as to whether this will be a good move.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

How have Clark and Kelly been getting on recently?

Any chance neither are in the squad in March with Marshall returning as third choice now he’s getting games for QPR? But he’s also 99.9% likely to be dropped to the bench once Dieng is back so probably not.

On 11/01/2022 at 13:33, G51 said:

Some fall from grace for Marshall. From playing in the Euros 6 months ago, to ending his contract at Derby early to become QPR’s third choice keeper behind Jordan Archer.

Just retire mate. Have some dignity.

the "wage thief" manages three clean sheets in his first four games for QPR  

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

the "wage thief" manages three clean sheets in his first four games for QPR. 

No need to always try and point score mate. Fair play to David Marshall, lets see if he can hold the shirt through February!

On 30/01/2022 at 12:48, accies1874 said:

I doubt he'll play the OF game despite McGregor's mistakes yesterday, but I do hope he gets some games before March.

How have Clark and Kelly been getting on recently?

Liam Kelly seems to be doing pretty well. A few teams linked to Clark but St Johnstone's poor form maybe not doing him much favours - no idea whether his form has dipped or not. If Marshall gets a few more games on this run then am pretty sure he will be no 2 to Gordon. Kelly no 3 as things stand I would say. 

Craig Gordon is the only certainty.

Jon McLaughlin has always been called up to the squad with the one exception being due to Covid. He hasn't played much at Rangers but that's never stopped him being called up before. Also, when McLaughlin recovered from Covid both Zander Clark and Liam Kelly immediately took turns out of the squad - I think it's likely that he will be recalled.

David Marshall is doing particularly well at QPR and Steve Clarke said that should David Marshalls club situation change then he will immediately be back in Steve Clarkes thoughts. There is still uncertainty when Seny Dieng returns from Afcon - but should Marshall hold his place at QPR I think he'll be recalled.

Liam Kelly was good last night. Made one first class save and another that was good and although I haven't seen much of Zander Clark - They're both getting excellent game time, they're playing well, are younger and have been a part of the recent success in terms of the National Team.

I think the pecking order is still basically Gordon, Marshall and McLaughlin with Kelly and Clark on standby.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Craig Gordon is the only certainty.

Jon McLaughlin has always been called up to the squad with the one exception being due to Covid. He hasn't played much at Rangers but that's never stopped him being called up before. Also, when McLaughlin recovered from Covid both Zander Clark and Liam Kelly immediately took turns out of the squad - I think it's likely that he will be recalled.

David Marshall is doing particularly well at QPR and Steve Clarke said that should David Marshalls club situation change then he will immediately be back in Steve Clarkes thoughts. There is still uncertainty when Seny Dieng returns from Afcon - but should Marshall hold his place at QPR I think he'll be recalled.

Liam Kelly was good last night. Made one first class save and another that was good and although I haven't seen much of Zander Clark - They're both getting excellent game time, they're playing well, are younger and have been a part of the recent success in terms of the National Team.

I think the pecking order is still basically Gordon, Marshall and McLaughlin with Kelly and Clark on standby.

This is why i'd still pick Marshall as 2nd choice even if not playing. 

He's come straight in from the cold and is preforming really well for QPR as we've seen many times from keepers. It's not like picking an outfield player who's not been playing.

Good discussion between four QPR fans (Kevin Gallen and three journalists), 2 of them concluded David Marshall should remain in the team and 2 of them would prefer to see Seny Dieng reclaim the shirt after he gets back from Afcon. Seny Dieng's Senegal play their final match on Sunday.

Edited by 2426255

On 04/02/2022 at 09:55, 2426255 said:

Good discussion between four QPR fans (Kevin Gallen and three journalists), 2 of them concluded David Marshall should remain in the team and 2 of them would prefer to see Seny Dieng reclaim the shirt after he gets back from Afcon. Seny Dieng's Senegal play their final match on Sunday.

Jed Steer joined Luton Town on loan for Aston Villa he is eligible 

Just now, dysartrovers said:
3 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Not sure I want someone called Jed representing Scotland

Don't care what there called as long as they want and are good enough to play for us,he played today kept a clean sheet on his debut in the cup

28 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Beginning to think you've got a bit of a thing for Luton, Dryhorce.

How's Maxwell Blackpool been getting on so far this year?