The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, velo army said:

Israel's goal in our most recent away game with them. 

the long range effort - back in the days when we were giving Israel invites to shoot anywhere from outside the box every time we played. If indeed it is the 1-1 from March you mean, then I would say that Marshall might have done a wee bit better bit hard to say and hardly a glaring error. 

Not exactly the litany of errors and "multitude of sins" developing here.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sullivan was an under-rated keeper. Perfectly decent international standard keeper even if not at the level of Goram and Leighton before him. Certainly better than Rab Douglas, although Rab was not a bad keeper by any means.

Just nah.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sullivan was an under-rated keeper. Perfectly decent international standard keeper even if not at the level of Goram and Leighton before him. Certainly better than Rab Douglas, although Rab was not a bad keeper by any means.

I thought Sullivan was absolutely fine tbh. Wasn’t one for wonder save like Douglas was but far less chance of howler compared to him. 

I liked Douglas. Wasn't an exceptional keeper but did the job and was a thoroughly nice fella who clearly cared about playing for Scotland. And easily superior to the more technically gifted Hedman who couldn't oust Rab at club level. 

I am also probably in the minority who didn't consider Leighton as anything more than a goalie who also did the job. I would have Marshall, Gordon, McGregor, Goram and maybe even Rough (!) ahead of Leighton. 

23 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Man City chasing a 15yo from Celtic and they have 19yo Slicker on their books - no idea if either will turn out to be good enough, but hopeful signs at least.

And both have that young Irish keeper Bazuna? ahead of them. So I wouldn't expect Slicker to make much impact at City.

34 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I liked Douglas. Wasn't an exceptional keeper but did the job and was a thoroughly nice fella who clearly cared about playing for Scotland. And easily superior to the more technically gifted Hedman who couldn't oust Rab at club level. 

I am also probably in the minority who didn't consider Leighton as anything more than a goalie who also did the job. I would have Marshall, Gordon, McGregor, Goram and maybe even Rough (!) ahead of Leighton. 

Depends on when you're talking about Leighton.

Up till he went to Man U, exceptional. His performance for Scotland away to Iceland was outstanding.

After that, he was much more prone to mistakes.  He was still much better than Rough though.

Up till he went to Man U, exceptional. His performance for Scotland away to Iceland was outstanding.
After that, he was much more prone to mistakes.  He was still much better than Rough though.
Vs Sweden at Ibrox in November '96...
"There's only one Jim Leighton, one Jiii-iim Leiii-iighton..."

Definitely been proved wrong about Gordon [emoji122].
Clarke has been in brilliant form for 12 months and Kelly is decent too.
Concerned for a couple of years down the road but let's see what happens. 

Clark and Kelly are a couple of safe hands for a few years anyway.

Just need someone to start making a name for themselves soon though.

41 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Why can't Kelly keep a place at a English championship team and why has Clarke never played there at 29?

Sorry there ordinary and nowhere near the calibre of what we have been used to and grown acustomed to

If Kelly was any good he would been brought back to Rangers and Mclaughlin McCrorie would been sold and the scouse boy who was at Liverpool who doesn't play

2 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Difffernce is Leicester City tried to buy McGregor when did a EPL club try and buy Clarke or Kelly?

It's actually quite sad this is how you judge how good a player is.

Football isn't for you.

19 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Was it not generally accepted that the pass back rule being introduced fucked Leighton as being considered a top quality keeper? He was horrific for Dundee but then went on to play for Hibs, Aberdeen again & more appearances for Scotland after us so go figure.

As for Kelly, him not managing to keep Seny Dieng out of the team at QPR concerns me and I don't see the big fuss around him but appreciate that everyone else seems to think he's the business.

As for Clark, he's been in absolute exceptional form for about 9 or so months, but has been average as f**k for about 6-7 year before that.

Either one as our number 1 would need to go down as being the weakest we've been in that position since... well, as far as I can remember.

16 hours ago, mizfit said:

McLaughlin is a decent keeper too, looks like he is getting more game time at Rangers this season. He's only 32/33 isn't he?

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

McLaughlin is a decent keeper too, looks like he is getting more game time at Rangers this season. He's only 32/33 isn't he?

He's underrated. Was brilliant for Hearts.

15 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

It's actually quite sad this is how you judge how good a player is.

Football isn't for you.

Naw you just never liked the answer,just stating facts as usual 

Let's see how many English championship teams come in for Clarke on a bosman in January then

Luton might be looking for a new keeper he would fit there wage structure