The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

This seems to be a real problem going forward. Think Craigkillie got it spot on with saying we have been accustomed to having good goalkeepers over the years. Dosnt seem to be many standouts. We have faith in Gordon who is ( 40 I think ) still. 

I was thinking this in the build up to the recent squad announcement. If Gordon gets injured or retires in the near future who would be our No.1? 3 or 4 candidates who are all much and such and a bit meh. There seems to be high hopes for lad slicker at man city but he is probably still 2 campaigns away age wise

16 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

I was thinking this in the build up to the recent squad announcement. If Gordon gets injured or retires in the near future who would be our No.1? 3 or 4 candidates who are all much and such and a bit meh. There seems to be high hopes for lad slicker at man city but he is probably still 2 campaigns away age wise

Jed Steer maybe if he breaks into the Aston Villa team more  regularly again or finds a move to the championship again

One game for Villa in the league Two games in the cup this year,surely he needs a loan somewhere and get himself back in the picture again and a permanent move somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that David Marshall is looking for a January move, clearly it would be at least partially to get himself back involved in the Scotland picture with the playoffs coming up. Steve Clarke has said he would be back at the front of his mind, but it wouldn't necessarily be good for Clark and Kelly who are trying to begin their international careers. Worth keeping an eye on perhaps.

Just now, G51 said:

Marshall’s done. If he’s getting a move, it’s to English League One or a bottom half Premiership side.

He’ll always be a Scotland hero, but I don’t think he can cut it at this level anymore.

Actually Rangers were the link.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Also, Zander Clark doesn’t have an international career, because he isn’t a good goalkeeper.

Depends on your choice of selection criteria.

We're talking about a fairly/very small pool of decent young keepers who qualify to play for Scotland and who preferably also have some good level/European level experience. Can't see how Clark doesn't meet this particular criteria, and it won't be a big pool to choose from.

Clark might have an International future simply due to a lack of options. I think he's as good as Kelly, but the ~2 year spell he had before turning the corner as the calenders changed probably influence a lot of people's opinions about him. He looked to have huge potential initially.

He won't be as good as Gordon was/is though, but I'm not sure what keeper coming through will be.

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Marshall’s done. If he’s getting a move, it’s to English League One or a bottom half Premiership side.

He’ll always be a Scotland hero, but I don’t think he can cut it at this level anymore.

He never could.

A penalty save covers a multitude of sins.

32 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Bring back Rab Douglas.

We've been spoilt with Gordon, Marshall and McGregor since the days of Big Rab.

Won't hear a word against him. Top keeper.

Neil Sullivan and Paul Gallacher on the other hand...

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Won't hear a word against him. Top keeper.

Neil Sullivan and Paul Gallacher on the other hand...

Sullivan was an under-rated keeper. Perfectly decent international standard keeper even if not at the level of Goram and Leighton before him. Certainly better than Rab Douglas, although Rab was not a bad keeper by any means.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

On 13/11/2021 at 17:47, KingRocketman II said:

what goals have Scotland conceded you feel Marshall is entirely or mainly culpable? I'll kick off with the first and you fill in the rest:

1. June 2021, Czech Republic

etc

Israel's goal in our most recent away game with them.