The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon’s performance last night was exceptional, so I’ve no concern with regards to him until at least the end of next season.

After that, your current choices are McLaughlin, Kelly or Clark.

McLaughlin may be slightly older, but if he can put in regular performances at Rangers he should take the number 1.

Kelly and Clark are both much of a muchness for me, both capable of phenomenal performances but as capable of howlers. Neither would be an ideal first choice for us long term but could easily step in for matches against diddy nations.

We’re really needing our under 21 keepers to start coming good soon.

I’ve not seen much of Ross Sinclair at us to comment, as with Harry Stone but the potential I’ve heard about both makes me think we should be okay in a few years.

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Gordon’s performance last night was exceptional

No it wasn't.  An exceptional performance wasn't required from our goalkeeper last night.

He did fine though.  That's all that can realistically be said and it's not to criticise him at all.  It's just to introduce a little realism to the terms of the discussion.

Why do people go nuts with the superlatives to describe the routine?

On 29/08/2021 at 14:12, Ludo*1 said:

He looked brilliant whilst at QotS. Bear in mind I was watching Jack Hamilton every week at the time though. I was really surprised to see him do so poorly at Livi.

McCrorie was tremendous with us. Had one horrible game against Partick Thistle where he was probably to blame for both their goals as they turned around a 1-0 deficit to win but what was most impressive was the way he came out next game and was back at his best. I thought then he would play for Scotland and haven't changed my mind but his travails at Livingston were a surprise certainly. I'd say he was marginally more impressive for us than Zander Clark at the same age but he's also a very good keeper.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No it wasn't.  An exceptional performance wasn't required from our goalkeeper last night.

He did fine though.  That's all that can realistically be said and it's not to criticise him at all.  It's just to introduce a little realism to the terms of the discussion.

This. He caught a couple of crosses and made one reaction block that he was so well positioned for that it would have hit him and stayed out if he hadn't actually saved it. This is not a criticism, he did everything he was asked to do perfectly, he just wasn't asked to do much, partly because the Austrians were largely ineffective up front but mainly because the back 3 / back 5 were outstanding in front of him (throw in Gilmour and McGregor too if you like).

It will be interesting to see the Goalkeepers chosen for the October qualifiers as Jon McLaughlin will be back in contention having been playing a fair number of games with Rangers. It might let us see who impressed most out of Zander Clark and Liam Kelly.

Who was the last u21 goalkeeper to make it to a full cap?  Jordan Archer?
Seems like outside Gordon, Marshall, and McGregor, there must have only been a handful of caps handed out since the days of Douglas and Sullivan.
Off the top of my head the other goalkeepers capped in that period were:

Neil Alexander
Paul Gallacher
Matt Gilks
Cammy Bell
Jordan Archer
Jon McLaughlin
Scott Bain

The issue in particular for goalkeepers is that it's hard to tell who will be good even at U21 level. Keepers tend to break through later (Zander Clark is nearly 30, for example) and are often the weak link in U21s as a result. Genuinely think U21 teams should be allowed U25 goalkeepers.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Off the top of my head the other goalkeepers capped in that period were:

Neil Alexander
Paul Gallacher
Matt Gilks
Cammy Bell
Jordan Archer
Jon McLaughlin
Scott Bain

The issue in particular for goalkeepers is that it's hard to tell who will be good even at U21 level. Keepers tend to break through later (Zander Clark is nearly 30, for example) and are often the weak link in U21s as a result. Genuinely think U21 teams should be allowed U25 goalkeepers.

It's not a bad call.  Goalkeepers making waves at youth level are few and far between (how many Donnarummas are there with 300 senior games played before they turn 23?!)

It's just disappointing that we've had such a poor conveyor belt.  We haven't had anyone come remotely close to the level of those three, and as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing to look at outwith the SPL right now.

I'd guess we're either hoping a sort of unknown down South breaks through, like your Slickers or McCrackens, or that an English keeper like Gunn finds form and switches Countries. Theres nobody obvious up here who fills you with confidence just now. Ross McCrorie was woeful against us for Livi so I'm probably now blinkered to him, but suspect he'll disappear like Doohan. No idea about Harry Stone or Ross Sinclair but would imagine both are probably years away from even playing top flight football.

McRorie was probably was probably our best keeper since Alan Davidson 25 years ago. He strolled our (NBD) POTY award despite only playing half a season. He had a bit of a ‘mare in one game, no bad in five months fitba tho. Astonished, perplexed and saddened to see how he has performed at Livi. What did you guys dae tae him?

On 24/09/2021 at 20:46, Jan mosniack said:

McRorie was probably was probably our best keeper since Alan Davidson 25 years ago. He strolled our (NBD) POTY award despite only playing half a season. He had a bit of a ‘mare in one game, no bad in five months fitba tho. Astonished, perplexed and saddened to see how he has performed at Livi. What did you guys dae tae him?

He's got the heart of a mouse, an absolute shitebag of a keeper. He made about 6 mistakes last season and was dodgy for a few more. He genuinely cannot deal with crosses and corners at all. He's not a great shot stopper, the only thing he really excels at it rushing out for 1 on 1s but that's it.

• 1 month later...