The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Given the choice between a keeper who will fail to undo a team-mate's attempt to commit suicide, or a keeper who won't chuck last-minute equalisers into his own net, it's the former please.

As for the future, I very much hope my children never have to put up with this, so let England have their wee Team GB and we can let the Staunch contribute to it if they want.

Wtf?

Given the choice between a keeper who will fail to undo a team-mate's attempt to commit suicide, or a keeper who won't chuck last-minute equalisers into his own net, it's the former please.
As for the future, I very much hope my children never have to put up with this, so let England have their wee Team GB and we can let the Staunch contribute to it if they want.
I can only assume your username came from your childhood nickname when your parents used you as a hammer.

6 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Marshall hasn't fumbled anything into the net. He was too far out his goal (perhaps on manager's instructions) and got caught by a sudden and surprise counter attack based on the ricochet of the ball. He shouldn't have been caught out but it was not an error based on his handling, kicking or shop stopping. He should and probably will play v Eng;and. 

You mean like his fumble in the Nations League World Cup qualifier that seems to have been forgotten about?

Edited by Ludo*1

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You mean like his fumble in the Nations League World Cup qualifier that seems to have been forgotten about?

the case against him is entirely conclusive with that then.

I would say we have more priority issues to consider than goalkeeper ahead of tonight (he says, as Marshall goes on to  have a nightmare)......

5 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

the case against him is entirely conclusive with that then.

I would say we have more priority issues to consider than goalkeeper ahead of tonight (he says, as Marshall goes on to  have a nightmare)......

I think so.

Piss poor form in the English Championship playing for a relegating threatened side, then dropped from said side, piss poor form for the National side and been at the very least partly culpable for at least 2 of the last 4 goals the nation has conceded. The Czech striker has admitted he noticed Marshall was coming out too far time and time again hence how he took advantage.

Do we have more pressing issues than Marshall for tonight? Yeah, 100%.

Do we have a more pressing issue after this tournament is over likely in 2 games time? Not a chance.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think so.

Piss poor form in the English Championship playing for a relegating threatened side, then dropped from said side, piss poor form for the National side and been at the very least partly culpable for at least 2 of the last 4 goals the nation has conceded. The Czech striker has admitted he noticed Marshall was coming out too far time and time again hence how he took advantage.

Do we have more pressing issues than Marshall for tonight? Yeah, 100%.

Do we have a more pressing issue after this tournament is over likely in 2 games time? Not a chance.

he has not been piss poor for Scotland. you are coming across as bizarrely obsessed by this

Just now, KingRocketman II said:

he has not been piss poor for Scotland. you are coming across as bizarrely obsessed by this

How so? Because I have a different opinion from you, I am happy to share it and back it up with evidence?

What a strange post from yourself.

Angus Gunn isn't great, but is still the best option for us long term as it stands, IMO. Fairly convinced he can be turned still.

Beyond that you're hoping someone like Jon McCracken, or Kieran Wright, turns into something, but I've no idea how good/bad they are.

Angus Gunn isn't great, but is still the best option for us long term as it stands, IMO. Fairly convinced he can be turned still.
Beyond that you're hoping someone like Jon McCracken, or Kieran Wright, turns into something, but I've no idea how good/bad they are.

England seem to have about 5 keepers ahead of Gunn, at the very least. Maybe he'll switch soon.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

Did Gunn not turn us down? Suppose we had to work on Adams for a while.

England seem to have about 5 keepers ahead of Gunn, at the very least. Maybe he'll switch soon.

Turned us down multiple times as he still thinks he has a chance with England.

Convinced once its clear hes not got a future there (he can't even get called up as a reserve ahead of hopeless shite like Ramsdale) he'll be more open to playing for Scotland. 

Apparently headed to Norwich this Summer to be back up so Hanley/McLean can pester him too.

Having a young 'keeper at Man City might be encouraging? Seems he played half of their U23s' games in PL2, which they went on to win. That's all I know about him, though, so I've no idea if he's actually done well.

If Marshall retires after the Euros then we'll be able to get a year or two out of Gordon and perhaps squeeze one out of McLaughlin if he's first choice somewhere.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Having a young 'keeper at Man City might be encouraging? Seems he played half of their U23s' games in PL2, which they went on to win. That's all I know about him, though, so I've no idea if he's actually done well.

If Marshall retires after the Euros then we'll be able to get a year or two out of Gordon and perhaps squeeze one out of McLaughlin if he's first choice somewhere.

Ciaran Slicker?

Think theres a few young Scots in Citys system, Fiorini still there, plus Liam Smith who is apparently a bit special.

Funny how these players are never in discussions then suddenly break through. Obviously would've been some, but were people discussing future Scotland teams and including Gilmour 4/5 years ago?

Edited by RandomGuy.

Turned us down multiple times as he still thinks he has a chance with England.
Convinced once its clear hes not got a future there (he can't even get called up as a reserve ahead of hopeless shite like Ramsdale) he'll be more open to playing for Scotland. 
Apparently headed to Norwich this Summer to be back up so Hanley/McLean can pester him too.
Got to think his old man must be pestering him too [emoji23].

Another one who you'll know well. The bearded wonder, if he can continue on his form from the last few months after his blip, get a solid season under his belt. Clark could come under consideration. He's only what, 27ish?

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Another one who you'll know well. The bearded wonder, if he can continue on his form from the last few months after his blip, get a solid season under his belt. Clark could come under consideration. He's only what, 27ish?

I think Clarks chance was 3/4 years ago when he was unreal. Hes declined since then and hasn't consistently performed for us since, sometimes a liability.

Was incredible for us in the Cup for some reason, especially at Ibrox where he pulled off a couple of massive saves, and both games against Hibs, but I don't think hes able to avoid conceding soft goals long term.

I think Liam Kelly is ahead of him in the pecking order if we're looking domestically.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Ciaran Slicker?
Think theres a few young Scots in Citys system, Fiorini still there, plus Liam Smith who is apparently a bit special.
Funny how these players are never in discussions then suddenly break through. Obviously would've been some, but were people discussing future Scotland teams and including Gilmour 4/5 years ago?
Yeah Slicker.

I didn't realise Fiorini was still on loan from them and didn't know that Smith was that highly thought of. Tbh I just try and ignore elite-level academy players otherwise I'd become convinced we've got a team of superstars ready to break through.

I'd guess that folk in the game would've known Gilmour was special for a decade but the first hype I remember about him from fans was during Toulon in 2018. I don't think we truly knew what we had until that Liverpool game though.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah Slicker.

I didn't realise Fiorini was still on loan from them and didn't know that Smith was that highly thought of. Tbh I just try and ignore elite-level academy players otherwise I'd become convinced we've got a team of superstars ready to break through.

Slickers fate probably rests on how early he leaves City. Good to develop there, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter, so timing his departure and picking the next move is key.

Same with Fiorini, whos been there forever it feels like. Regular in the Dutch 2nd tier but needs proper game time in a decent division soon too, before hes lost what potential was there.

Quite surprising how many young Scots are at massive clubs just now.

Slicker/Smith doing well in Citys youths, Hepburn/Morrison at Bayern, then the striker guy at Bilbao.

If Hearts can look after Harry Stone, and he can learn from Craig Gordon, he could be a shout in a few seasons. Heard some very high praise about him already but the next 3-4 seasons are crucial. We’ve heard all this hype before for it to turn to nothing and we all know what Hearts recent reputation is at looking after their prospects

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Keiran Wright was pretty good for us, can’t really remember him making many errors. At the same time, he’s 22 now and has played a grand total of four games above Scottish League One level. I think he’ll have a decent career but would be amazed if he’s ever in contention for Scotland number 1.

40 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Keiran Wright was pretty good for us, can’t really remember him making many errors. At the same time, he’s 22 now and has played a grand total of four games above Scottish League One level. I think he’ll have a decent career but would be amazed if he’s ever in contention for Scotland number 1.

Didn't realise he was that old tbh, only really heard of him over the last season or two.