The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 01/04/2021 at 09:59, Ludo*1 said:

The current contenders for the future of the position currently look like Robbie McCrorie. A massive talent and probably the keeper most hyped to be our future number 1 at present, but struggling at Livi and only just recently got back into the team after being dropped in favour of Max Stryjek.

Liam Kelly is again showing promise at Motherwell, but can't get near the QPR team after some less than impressive performances and has subsequently dropped down the pecking order to former Dundee flop Seny Dieng.

McCrorie is only in the team as Stryjek is nursing a back injury. He's the far superior keeper. McCrorie is absolutely shocking and will/should be nowhere near a Scotland squad. He's prone to so many poor errors when balls come into the box. Against Killie earlier in the season he just dropped it into the net basically. Spills the ball so often. His only redeeming quality is that he's good at rushing out playing as a Sweeper Keeper.

Having watched both Kelly is the far superior keeper and I'd take him over McCrorie every day of the week

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Marshall dropped by Derby... 

Probably because they've lost the last 4 games conceding 9 goals in the process.

Some quotes from the Derby forum:

'Good to see Roos restored to the side, Marshall was awful again against Preston. Far too many errors.'

'I think it's the right decision to bring Roos in. Hasn't put a foot wrong all season. Marshall is making far too many mistakes.'

'I think bringing Roos back is both correct and took too long to do. Marshall has conceded a good amount of soft goals of late that you would expect your keeper to save whereas Roos was in fine form before being dropped. I don't think there is a deal between them aerially and Roos is better with his feet. '

'I thought Marshall deserves to be dropped.  Think marshall makes a mistake he gets away with it whereas every mistake Roos makes gets highlighted.  '

'Roos will probably be our number 1 goalkeeper next season I believe. He's not as much of a liability'

'All of the Radio Derby pundits claimed to be baffled by the goalkeeping switch, yet watching the Preston game my take was that Marshall should have stopped all three goals. Yes there were plenty of other mistakes with those goals, but when my take was that Roos would not have let any of the them in, he deserves to be playing today. '

'He was very unlucky to lose his place and Marshall has been standing still for a lot of the goals we have been conceded recently'

'Not just against Preston but there has been several times this season (and it's been increasing) where I've thought that a keeper at this level should be saving some of the goals we've been conceding and that Roos likely would have done. '

'Roos is back! About time we had a competent goalkeeper in goal again!'

22 hours ago, woof! said:

Cieran Slicker will be 19 in September and is doing very well for Man City u23s. There’s also Archie Mair at Norwich. I think both of these players may well skip the queue.  

As a pessimistic Scotsman the latter sounds ideal for us, if nothing else the headlines will write themselves 😬.

• 1 month later...

Marshall hasn't fumbled anything into the net. He was too far out his goal (perhaps on manager's instructions) and got caught by a sudden and surprise counter attack based on the ricochet of the ball. He shouldn't have been caught out but it was not an error based on his handling, kicking or shop stopping. He should and probably will play v Eng;and. 

36 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This problem is becoming ever more prominent IMO.

And it's not getting any easier. Archer has been freed by Middlesbrough after a handful of starts last season.

Angus Gunn was third choice at. Southampton and was punted out to Stoke on loan. He is expected to sign for Norwich next week and will be number 2 to Tim Krul.

Bain, Kelly, McCrorie and Doohan are not international class keepers. McLaughlin needs to leave Ipox for regular first-team football.

Given the choice between a keeper who will fail to undo a team-mate's attempt to commit suicide, or a keeper who won't chuck last-minute equalisers into his own net, it's the former please.

As for the future, I very much hope my children never have to put up with this, so let England have their wee Team GB and we can let the Staunch contribute to it if they want.