The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't Pep btw. It IS possible that someone can act like a total roaster and not be Pep.

Your alias radar is off, DomDom, its quite clearly Pep.

On 03/04/2021 at 02:03, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’ve hated Craig Gordon ever since he cost us the game against England at Hampden. People blame Armstrong for it but Gordon was at fault for both goals IMO.

I absolutely agree - the goal that Oxlade Chamberpot scored was much worse than the Kane goal in my opinion

Scotland 2-2 England (2018 World Cup Qualifier) | Official Highlights - Bing video

Apparently Marshall played well at the weekend - see he let in thre last night but no idea if at fault at any.  He absolutely needs to be fit and on form as there is simply no one else who could be trusted with the number 1 jersey these days.

I can't think of any goalie coming through who can go on to be our keeper for the next few years.  Perhaps a result of so few Scottish goalies playing in our top league for the past ten or so years.

On 02/04/2021 at 18:23, Andre Drazen said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't Pep btw. It IS possible that someone can act like a total roaster and not be Pep.

Ask if he has every given International Relations advice to Joe Biden’s chief of staff, has had a children’s book published, played in a Scottish Cup final, or plays fives with either Christian Dailly or Alex McLeish.    If it’s a yes, you’ve got your man.

Perhaps a result of so few Scottish goalies playing in our top league for the past ten or so years.

I'd guess roughly half the goalkeepers in our too flight have been Scottish in most seasons, which is roughly the same as for outfield players. It's just that almost all of them were never good enough.

This season we've got Allan McGregor (retired), Scott Bain (capped), Liam Kelly (been in the squad) and then Zander Clark, Ross McCrorie, Ross Laidlaw, Ryan Fulton. Clark is solid but not quite good enough, McCrorie has plenty of U21 caps but doesn't look great and the latter two are clearly never going to play for Scotland.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'd guess roughly half the goalkeepers in our too flight have been Scottish in most seasons, which is roughly the same as for outfield players. It's just that almost all of them were never good enough.

This season we've got Allan McGregor (retired), Scott Bain (capped), Liam Kelly (been in the squad) and then Zander Clark, Ross McCrorie, Ross Laidlaw, Ryan Fulton. Clark is solid but not quite good enough, McCrorie has plenty of U21 caps but doesn't look great and the latter two are clearly never going to play for Scotland.

It really is not a great prospect is it.  When was the last time the likes of Aberdeen. Hibs, Hearts and Dundee Utd gave a young scottish goalie and extended run.

There were hopes for Archie Mair when he moved at 17 from the Dons to Norwich but I see he is now on loan at Kings Lynn.

Keepers have always been something we've had a luxury in at international level (at least in the time i've watched them).

Went from Goram/Leighton with a few years of Rab Douglas/Neil Sullivan era, granted.

Then to having Gordon/Marshall/McGregor

Most worryingly it looks like we will end up much worse than the Douglas/Sullivan between the sticks going forward.

Edited by red23

Harry Stone is supposed to be highly regarded at hearts. Out on loan at Albion rovers just now. Looked impressive in their highlights last week but the camera was about half a mile from the pitch.
Be better if it was a Stone's throw from the pitch.

On 07/04/2021 at 00:30, Caledonian1 said:

I absolutely agree - the goal that Oxlade Chamberpot scored was much worse than the Kane goal in my opinion

Scotland 2-2 England (2018 World Cup Qualifier) | Official Highlights - Bing video

Apparently Marshall played well at the weekend - see he let in thre last night but no idea if at fault at any.  He absolutely needs to be fit and on form as there is simply no one else who could be trusted with the number 1 jersey these days.

I can't think of any goalie coming through who can go on to be our keeper for the next few years.  Perhaps a result of so few Scottish goalies playing in our top league for the past ten or so years.

Sorry, but this is just rubbish. Pretty obvious to me when you look at his reactions (including the save from the initial free kick before the Kane goal) that he could hardly see anything in front of him. Looking directly into the sun.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Watch allot more championship football than Scottish Premiership, Kelly was an absolute liability at QPR. Shocked that he's in the frame tbh. 

McCrorie was better than Doohan at Scottish championship level. 

TBF I only saw Doohan once at Ayr, against us, and he couldn't deal with high balls at all. No surprise he couldn't break into Countys side.

McCrorie looks similar, plus the added bonus of having salad wrists.

Kelly is comfortably the best of the 3, and a top 6 keeper in Scotland.

Mccrorie has been nothing short of a disaster for Livi. Had an amazing debut but since then it’s been very disappointing. Fair enough he makes some good saves every game but if he chucks one or two in as well at the same time he’s not good enough. Expected a lot better considering how highly rated he was when he came to us. Kelly the far better keeper comparing both of them when they were at Livi, was surprised that it didn’t work out at QPR, but now seems to be back to his best at Motherwell.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF I only saw Doohan once at Ayr, against us, and he couldn't deal with high balls at all. No surprise he couldn't break into Countys side.

McCrorie looks similar, plus the added bonus of having salad wrists.

Kelly is comfortably the best of the 3, and a top 6 keeper in Scotland.

I'd honestly have Kelly as about league 1 standard in England.