Best Music Documentaries

Bert Raccoon

On 01/04/2021 at 16:28, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm not a fan of Iron Maiden but I did see a good doc on BBC4 a few months ago about a gig that Bruce Dickinson did in Sarajevo at the height of the seige in the early 90s. Even though I don't listen to his music, I do have a lot of respect for him for doing that. He came across really well in the interview.

Bruce is the very definition of "Sum Boi". 

Documentaries I've enjoyed, in no particular order:

Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' struggle to get a recording contract, then the bigger struggle to get out of it. By hell, that lad could write and play a song!

Anvil! - It would be harsh, but very easy, to describe Anvil as a real life Spinal Tap. To be delivering school dinners while dreaming of rock stardom - in his 50s! - shows a level optimism not seen since Ally's Army set off to Argentina. 

Beyond the lighted stage - Basically, the Rush Story. 

Flight 666 - Iron Maiden Touring in the original Ed Force One, piloted by Mr Dickinson. These boys have got a wee bit bigger since I saw them at the Piv in Ayr with Dianno on vocals. Quality concert footage and an insight into the logistics of touring. 

That Little Old Band from Texas - the trials, tribulations and drugs that made ZZ Top what they are. 

..and f**k it, I'm having CBGB because it documents a major time and place in popular music (and Rickman makes a great Hilly Crystal),* and This is Spinal Tap because it's a more accurate picture of that kind of overblown rock band than a lot of real bands would like to admit. 

* I didn't get on with Punk revolution NYC.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Watched Once Were Brothers last night, an excellent watch, albeit from Robbie Robertson's perspective.

I love Robbie Robertson, and I love hearing his perspective. But I don’t ever rely on him to tell anything from anyone else’s perspective accurately.  

Saw Summer Of Soul on Friday night at the Filmhouse. Absolutely outstanding film about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival. Totally recommended. Will definitely go and see it again when it gets a general release. The musical performances from the likes of Stevie Wonder, The Fifth Dimension, The Staples Singers, David Ruffin, Sly and The Family Stone and Nina Simone amongst many others are utterly exceptional.

http://

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched Gimme Shelter. I.e. the documentary about the infamous Rolling Stones gig at Altamont in 1969.

This is kinda the antidote to Woodstock. It shows the dark side of the 60s counter culture scene. There's more than a few shots of people who appear to be on bad acid trips. There is also a fair amount of violence as the Hells Angels are squaring people right up at the front of the stage leading to the well documented death of some guy who pulled out a gun.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure that the guys behind Spinal Tap were fans of this film. Some of the scenes of the Stones sitting around in Hotel rooms looked very Tap-esque.

Also, I had no idea until today that this film is where Shaun Ryder got his "You're rendering that scaffolding dangerous" shout that is on Bummed.

Edited by Paul Kersey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

We've got a worthy new entry lads...

Tonight's episode of Imagine... on BBC One was magnificent. Labi Siffre is an absolute inspiration and Alan Yentob, for all his faults, really gets the art of the documentary. It'll be on the iplayer for the next 30 days. Get it watched.

I’m looking forward to seeing Meet Me In The Bathroom based on the oral history of the same name; not out yet, but had its premiere at Sundance earlier this year, so should be out soon-ish.

It’s about the rock/indie scene in New York in the 2000s and some of the bands that came out of that scene (Strokes, LCD Soundsystem, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc.).

The book is great and I’m interested to see how they’ve managed to make a documentary around it. Seems like they’re concentrating on the early years. It’s a music and time from my mid teens to early twenties so I probably get more of a nostalgia kick from it too. When I read the book I started listening to a lot of that music again for a while.