Best Music Documentaries

Bert Raccoon

Following on from the best documentaries thread in the TV/Film thread, what are your favourite music documentaries ? 

Personal favourite is DIG! Purely as I'm a massive Dandy Warhols fan and to a lesser extent Brian Jonestown Massacre fan but watching the earlier days of the two bands and how they went in different directions is quite fascinating and Anton Newcombe is one of the most fucked yet interesting musicians to come out in the last few decades. Definitely worth a watch even if you've never heard of either of the bands

Trailer 

Full Movie 

Some of the ones around the 90s Hip Hop scene are excellent as well but what's your favourite?

Edited by Bert Raccoon

Dig is excellent. Anton is a bit of a bellend with a heightened sense of his own importance though. Metallica's Some Kind of Monster was unintentionally hilarious. Lars Ullrich is very much from the Anton Newcombe school. Woodstock is a brilliant doc. Really enjoyed that BBC one recently about the Belshill scene.

What's the one where a brother of one of the band members joins the tour to document proceedings, and edits it in such a way that it ends up being a massive wind-up of his brother? :lol:

Have I imagined that? :unsure:

A couple that I really need to see are the doc on The Damned, the new Zappa doc,  the new doc on Talk-Talk called 'In a Silent Way', and....Anvil!

The Breadcrumb Trail on Slint is excellent and funny.

Edited by paranoid android

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

What's the one where a brother of one of a band members joins the tour to document proceedings, and edits it in such a way that it ends up being a massive wind-up of his brother? :lol:

Have I imagined that? :unsure:

A couple that I really need to see are the doc on The Damned, the new Zappa doc,  the new doc om Talk-Talk called 'In a Silent Way', and....Anvil!

The Breadcrumb Trail on Slint is excellent. 

Anvil was good fun. Look forward to the Talk Talk one.

Just now, Jimi Shandrix said:

Anvil was good fun. Look forward to the Talk Talk one.

The Talk Talk one keeps getting delayed due to Coronavirus, but It's been shown in theatres in Europe - I saw a trailer, which looked excellent.

Uniquely, all band members declined involvement, and requests to use the band's music were refused. :lol:

Which is exactly how Mark Hollis would have wanted it, imo,. 

6 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Dig is excellent. Anton is a bit of a bellend with a heightened sense of his own importance though. Metallica's Some Kind of Monster was unintentionally hilarious. Lars Ullrich is very much from the Anton Newcombe school. Woodstock is a brilliant doc. Really enjoyed that BBC one recently about the Belshill scene.

There was a couple of documentaries made in the last few years about the Glasgow/Bellshill scene called Big Gold Dream and Teenage Superstars. Are they the ones that you mean? Both are very good.

I've mentioned this before, but my favourite music documentary is called B Movie: Lust and Sound in West Berlin 1979 - 1989. It's about a guy called Mark Reeder from Manchester who moved to Berlin in the late 70s and got involved in the avant-garde Kreuzberg scene.

Here's a trailer...

And here's some footage. Watching this really makes me wish that I'd been around at the time. It looks like a pretty cool scene where people live in squats, do as little work as possible, sleep all day and then spend the evenings at gigs, high on cheap speed...

Another favourite is DOA: A Rite of Passage about the Sex Pistol ill fated US tour. There's plenty of grainy concert footage, along with interviews of suburban American kids trying waaay too hard to be punk.

Here it is....

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

8 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Following on from the best documentaries thread in the TV/Film thread, what are your favourite music documentaries ? 

Personal favourite is DIG! Purely as I'm a massive Dandy Warhols fan and to a lesser extent Brian Jonestown Massacre fan but watching the earlier days of the two bands and how they went in different directions is quite fascinating and Anton Newcombe is one of the most fucked yet interesting musicians to come out in the last few decades. Definitely worth a watch even if you've never heard of either of the bands

Trailer 

Full Movie 

Some of the ones around the 90s Hip Hop scene are excellent as well but what's your favourite?

I watched Dig! again recently for the umpteenth time...

F*ckin broke my sitar motherf*cker. 

Not really a music documentary but in one of Anthony Bourdain's last episodes of Parts Unknown he goes to Berlin and meets up with Anton, there's a scene where he's making mashed potatoes on the floor and it put me off mash for a while, i love his music but I'd be very reluctant to try his food don't know where his hands have been, Anton seems to have mellowed slightly but he's still a bit of a knob. 

I'd highly recommend watching, and bear with me here....the fairly recent Bros. documentary. Utterly surreal.

Obviously though "The Defiant Ones" is the correct answer to this thread. The revalation that Death Row Records/2pac/Dr. Dre/Snoop/West Coast Hip Hop only happened on the scale it did thanks to Nine Inch Nails is quite the plot-twist.

14 minutes ago, Al B said:

I'd highly recommend watching, and bear with me here....the fairly recent Bros. documentary. Utterly surreal.

Obviously though "The Defiant Ones" is the correct answer to this thread. The revalation that Death Row Records/2pac/Dr. Dre/Snoop/West Coast Hip Hop only happened on the scale it did thanks to Nine Inch Nails is quite the plot-twist.

This. Tremendous story. Jimmy is sum boi. 

Absolutely nobody comes out of that Dig! documentary looking good.  They all seemed completely insufferable.

The Last Waltz is great, and the music is just glorious.  

Searching for Sugarman is great, although starts off with a slightly disingenuous premise.  

The BBC did a great John Martyn documentary just after he had his leg cut off.  

And of course, No Direction Home has Bob Dylan telling a weird mix of truths and complete lies and you're never quite sure which is which.  

I'd like to see the Martin Phillipps (The Chills) one as well.  He seems like an interesting bloke.

Edited by Savage Henry

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Iron Maiden, 12 Wasted Years. I have the VHS of this somewhere. Completely unironic turning it up to 11 stuff. Kids tv programmes, malfunctioning props, idiots, codpieces, Eddie murdering thatcher. Brilliant 

I'm not a fan of Iron Maiden but I did see a good doc on BBC4 a few months ago about a gig that Bruce Dickinson did in Sarajevo at the height of the seige in the early 90s. Even though I don't listen to his music, I do have a lot of respect for him for doing that. He came across really well in the interview.

Love a music doc, will generally sit thru most, but there's been a few lately I've really enjoyed...couple on Sky Docs...

The Bee Gees, How Do You Mend A Broken Heart

Kurt Cobain, Montage Of Heck 

The Michael Hutchence / INXS one decent too.

The Beach Boys "An American Band" from the mid 80's is a fantastic watch. Lots of footage of Brian from the 70's being interviewed in bed and barely able to function but still being legendary. Some memorable "Smile" clips too.