Triple Header Winners and Losers

craigkillie

19 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

As an indicator of how seriously I should take xGa as a performance indicator for Gordon in the championship, I picked the 3-2 defeat to Raith at Tynecastle, possibly the nadir for Hearts defending this season.

Raith scored 3 goals that day.  Their xG for the game was 0.98, a game where they had two penalties,one of which Gordon saved.

So a game where Gordon saved a penalty, and was beaten by a tap in from 3 feet after catastrophic defending comes in as a game where he's conceded more than he should.

Post-shot xG is used for evaluating keepers, because obviously a keeper can’t save a shot that isn’t on target.

No idea where you’ve gotten your data from but Wyscout is showing a post-shot xG for Rovers of 3.39. 

If McGregor was brought back it would be a utterly disgusting move.

I'm not a fan of Gordon but I'd rather have someone that stuck it out than some opportunist coming in when the finals come round.

And isn't it an utter tragedy that Griffiths isn't everyone's first choice striker?  

A wee scummy fanny who can't be bothered to get fit and is happy to score a couple of cameo goals per season against Hamilton Accies.

Imagine being Leigh Griffiths watching the finals at home as McBurnie travels with the squad knowing that if you'd just applied a semi professional attitude to your game you'd probably be starting.

If its between Shankland, Nesbit ,Griffiths, Paterson or Burke for the last striker spot, then I'd gamble on Griffiths - even if he's not fully fit and playing only a bit part at Celtic he is the only one with real quality including set pieces which so something the squad lacks. Stevie should be making contact now telling him to get fit and on it as the 'dangling carrot' for making the Euro train IMO.

Maybe a kick in the baws for the others but none of the mentioned and possibly even McBurnie & Dykes have done enough to say they are better options than LG - which either suggests how much talent he is wasting or how shallow our pool of strikers continues to be!!!

Edited by bdu98196

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

McGinn was utter shite in Israel. Laughably bad. He was superb tonight.

Where have his goals been scored Hampden or away?

Edited by ropy

28 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If McGregor was brought back it would be a utterly disgusting move.

I'm not a fan of Gordon but I'd rather have someone that stuck it out than some opportunist coming in when the finals come round.

And isn't it an utter tragedy that Griffiths isn't everyone's first choice striker?  

A wee scummy fanny who can't be bothered to get fit and is happy to score a couple of cameo goals per season against Hamilton Accies.

Imagine being Leigh Griffiths watching the finals at home as McBurnie travels with the squad knowing that if you'd just applied a semi professional attitude to your game you'd probably be starting.

I would rather Chapman’s Scottish cousin be in the squad before McGregor.

Frightening that we're having to debate which late 30s keeper is the least worst option. An English Championship bench warmer, a formerly retired Scottish Championship player or a currently internationally retired player who went off in a huff.
They're all not ideal but I'd hope any will be up for one last big moment at the Euros. We have been pretty spoilt over the last 10-15 years with the three of them to be fair.
The real question is who is coming through for the next campaign?
Now would have probably been the time to go cap in hand to Angus Gunn similar to the Che Adams switch.

Marshall was first choice at Derby all season before his injury, and Craig Gordon was never retired, but apart from that good post.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Marshall was first choice at Derby all season before his injury, and Craig Gordon was never retired, but apart from that good post.

I thought Gordon retired fully from football when he was crocked at Sunderland? May be misremembering mind.

47 minutes ago, ropy said:

Where have his goals been scored Hampden or away?

9 of his 10 goals have been scored at Hampden. 

2 x Faroes, 1 x Austria, 2 x Kazakhstan, 3 x San Marino and 1 x Russia.

His one away goal came in Cyprus.

I think the squad almost picks itself at this point - main winners from this camp being Hanley and Adams.

Gordon, Marshall, McLaughlin.

Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, McKenna, O'Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Tierney.

Armstrong, Christie, Forrest, Fraser, Jack, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay.

Adams, Dykes, McBurnie.

I think everyone there is assured of a place apart from possibly Cooper, Palmer, Forrest, for different reasons.

The big decisions come if it gets expanded to 25/26. You'd then be looking to add (bold is what I think Clarke would do): 

1 of Considine/Hendry/Taylor

1 of Fleck/Gilmour (if he gets more game time)/Paterson/Turnbull

1 of Griffiths/Nisbet/Shankland

Edited by Slacker

If it gets extended to 26 and we use it to pick a 3rd choice left back then I'll despair.

You would surely, surely want to take a Turnbull/Gilmour/Gauld or possibly more than 1.

I know it was a brief cameo last night but I thought Nisbet did enough to pay himself out.  Offside constantly, poor first touch, looked terrified and got a daft booking for a needless tackle.  Shankland looked better on his International chances and Griffiths if remotely fit is miles ahead of both.

3 hours ago, Scumjob said:

Frightening that we're having to debate which late 30s keeper is the least worst option. An English Championship bench warmer, a formerly retired Scottish Championship player or a currently internationally retired player who went off in a huff.

They're all not ideal but I'd hope any will be up for one last big moment at the Euros. We have been pretty spoilt over the last 10-15 years with the three of them to be fair.

The real question is who is coming through for the next campaign?

Now would have probably been the time to go cap in hand to Angus Gunn similar to the Che Adams switch.

Do you realise Angus Gunn is also a Championship benchwarmer?

1 hour ago, ArabGaz said:

9 of his 10 goals have been scored at Hampden. 

2 x Faroes, 1 x Austria, 2 x Kazakhstan, 3 x San Marino and 1 x Russia.

His one away goal came in Cyprus.

Therefore we know when to play him and when not to bother

51 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Do you realise Angus Gunn is also a Championship benchwarmer?

Pretty sure he's played more often than not when fit.

I don't necessarily think he's better than who we have right now. But he might be when Marshall and Gordon bow out.

5 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Pretty sure he's played more often than not when fit.

I don't necessarily think he's better than who we have right now. But he might be when Marshall and Gordon bow out.

He got dropped after they were humped by Middlesbrough and he’s been on the bench since (and has played 14 games this season compared with Marshall’s 28 - although I’m aware he was injured for a bit).

Possibly due to age he’d be worth getting along but I’m not sure he’s the long term answer (albeit I don’t know who is).

19 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

He got dropped after they were humped by Middlesbrough and he’s been on the bench since (and has played 14 games this season compared with Marshall’s 28 - although I’m aware he was injured for a bit).

Possibly due to age he’d be worth getting along but I’m not sure he’s the long term answer (albeit I don’t know who is).

Ah cheers I knew he was injured for a good spell hadn't realised he'd been dropped though.Yeah agreed on the last point.