Triple Header Winners and Losers

craigkillie

Curious to see which players people think have played their way into (or out of) the Euros squad over these three games. I'm focusing more on the unproven/fringe players - clearly Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, McTominay will start regardless.

Winners

Grant Hanley - three solid performances including a great goal against Austria. I think it might now be him or Cooper for that position in the middle of the back three.
Che Adams - clearly our best striker.
Ryan Jack - was sorely missed in the midfield in the first two games. A starting berth is surely his.
Ryan Fraser - showed his versatility by playing in two very different positions and scoring a couple of goals, will definitely have a good chance of starting.

Losers

David Marshall - might have lost the gloves after a couple of mistakes.
Jack Hendry - worth a try, but I don't think he's ready yet. Give him a wee while playing at a higher level (if he gets his move) and we can look at him again.
Declan Gallagher - had previously been a rock, but wasn't really missed. His place in the final squad must be in a wee bit of danger now.
Lyndon Dykes - three fairly poor performances, will still be in the squad but Adams has definitely jumped ahead of him.
Oli McBurnie - suddenly dropped down to third choice at best in the target man role, will be worried about making the final squad.
Andy Considine - didn't play a minute, can't see him making the squad barring some injuries.
Kevin Nisbet - didn't impress me much when he came on, seemed a bit McNulty-esque. I think Shankland (or Griffiths) might get the nod based on their relative showings.

Like Jack moving up the pecking order simply by virtue of his absence, but to a lesser extent, James Forrest could well slot in nicely as a more natural option for rwb. Fraser did well there tonight, but looked uncomfortable at times when shown the outside (right footer, but is naturally an inverted winger and used to playing on the left). I think Forrest could be a better fit here, and possibly free up Fraser as an auxiliary striker or to play on the left wing should we alter the system to have an orthodox winger

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Curious to see which players people think have played their way into (or out of) the Euros squad over these three games. I'm focusing more on the unproven/fringe players - clearly Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, McTominay will start regardless.

Winners

Grant Hanley - three solid performances including a great goal against Austria. I think it might now be him or Cooper for that position in the middle of the back three.
Che Adams - clearly our best striker.
Ryan Jack - was sorely missed in the midfield in the first two games. A starting berth is surely his.
Ryan Fraser - showed his versatility by playing in two very different positions and scoring a couple of goals, will definitely have a good chance of starting.

Losers

David Marshall - might have lost the gloves after a couple of mistakes.
Jack Hendry - worth a try, but I don't think he's ready yet. Give him a wee while playing at a higher level (if he gets his move) and we can look at him again.
Declan Gallagher - had previously been a rock, but wasn't really missed. His place in the final squad must be in a wee bit of danger now.
Lyndon Dykes - three fairly poor performances, will still be in the squad but Adams has definitely jumped ahead of him.
Oli McBurnie - suddenly dropped down to third choice at best in the target man role, will be worried about making the final squad.
Andy Considine - didn't play a minute, can't see him making the squad barring some injuries.
Kevin Nisbet - didn't impress me much when he came on, seemed a bit McNulty-esque. I think Shankland (or Griffiths) might get the nod based on their relative showings.

Agree with almost all of this. Only one I’d say is a bit harsh is Nisbet as he was only on for a short time when we’d taken our foot off the gas. Not that I disagree that Shankland or Griffiths might get in instead.

Winners

Steve Clarke - Yeah, the first half of the Israel game was a tactical mistake that was on him. But the thing about mistakes is that you have to learn from them. He changed to a 4-2-3-1 at half-time and we got immediately better. I think we're seeing a transition into a different Scotland style now that we have better options available - we're no longer the direct side we were in the back half of 2020. Our passes are getting shorter, our players are rotating more and it looks like he's starting to understand about what works and what doesn't work. Clarkeball is evolving and the early signs look decent.

Ultimately, a system that keeps us undefeated in tough games and beats the jobbers is a good one. Lets see if he can keep it up - I was giving him as much shit as anyone on Sunday night, but on reflection it was probably unfair. It wasn't really his fault that David Marshall has aged four years in four months.

Che Adams - the boy. Turns a real weakness in the squad into a strength.

Allan McGregor - He almost certainly can't be arsed, but if he wants a shot at the Euros then he'll get one. Because the alternatives are.... not good, IMO!!!

Proponents of playing Scott McTominay at centre back - we did it everyone. We were finally proved right.

Surely Greg Taylor was the ultimate loser, didn’t even make the bench for any of the games.
McGinn in without a shout as a winner aswell 3 goals from 3.
Davie Provan = Loser, Che fucking Evans?

I'd already assumed Taylor has no chance of the Euros squad anyway so didn't include him.

13 minutes ago, G51 said:

Winners

Steve Clarke - Yeah, the first half of the Israel game was a tactical mistake that was on him. But the thing about mistakes is that you have to learn from them. He changed to a 4-2-3-1 at half-time and we got immediately better. I think we're seeing a transition into a different Scotland style now that we have better options available - we're no longer the direct side we were in the back half of 2020. Our passes are getting shorter, our players are rotating more and it looks like he's starting to understand about what works and what doesn't work. Clarkeball is evolving and the early signs look decent.

Ultimately, a system that keeps us undefeated in tough games and beats the jobbers is a good one. Lets see if he can keep it up - I was giving him as much shit as anyone on Sunday night, but on reflection it was probably unfair. It wasn't really his fault that David Marshall has aged four years in four months.

Allan McGregor - He almost certainly can't be arsed, but if he wants a shot at the Euros then he'll get one. Because the alternatives are.... not good, IMO!!!

Proponents of playing Scott McTominay at centre back - we did it everyone. We were finally proved right.

Barring injury, Clarke is not changing his keepers

37 minutes ago, G51 said:

Winners

Isn't happening for reasons I explained to you on Sunday night.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Isn't happening for reasons I explained to you on Sunday night.

I covered that when I said "He almost certainly can't be arsed".

If we're interested in actually winning games of football though, and maybe doing some damage in the Euros, then he's the best keeper we have by a country mile.

The only one of our normal three goalkeepers who is going to get regular games between now and the Euros is Craig Gordon, and he'll be getting those games in the Championship. Expect this narrative to ramp up in the next few months.

Agree with majority of Craigs assessment. 

I think the vast majority of the squad places for the Euros are now cemented with very few up for grabs barring injury/massive change in form.

I would expect 23 man squad to be something like this:

David Marshall, Craig Gordon, Jon McLaughlin 

Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Stephen O'Donnell, Grant Hanley, Liam Cooper,  Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry 

Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor,  Ryan Jack,  Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie, James Forrest, Ryan Fraser 

Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Oli McBurnie, Kevin Nisbet 

*Players in bold most at risk of missing out

Standby:

Liam Palmer, Greg Taylor, Andrew Considine,  Declan Gallagher

John Fleck, David Turnbull,  Billy Gilmour 

Lawrence Shankland,  Oli Burke, Leigh Griffiths,  Callum Paterson 

I think the majority of the midfielders will make the squad with maybe only Fleck missing out. Alot of the midfielders are quite adaptable into various positions - wing backs, forwards, centre half etc so offer cover for other areas of squad.

I think realistically there is one defensive position and one forward position up for grabs in Steve Clarkes squad. Club form will play a large part in that you would think, especially with the forwards where none have been overly prolific. McBurnie should be at risk but unfortunately there is so few genuine options banging on the door that I'm almost certain Clarke will include him so I actually don't think he will be at risk of losing his spot.

43 minutes ago, G51 said:

Winners

It really is the Scottish way of things isn't it? David Marshall almost single handedly gets us to our first finals in 23 years then lets in a goal against Israel that he probably should have kept out and suddenly he's shite. Similarly, Che Adams has a decent game against Brazil, no sorry, The Faroe Islands and suddenly he's the answer to all our striking problems. Just wait til the c**t has a stinker against Moldova. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Winners

I can't tell a lie, I was absolutely astonished to learn earlier in the week that Hanley is still only 29. I thought he was at least 33 or 34 given how long he's been about.

40 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

It really is the Scottish way of things isn't it? David Marshall almost single handedly gets us to our first finals in 23 years then lets in a goal against Israel that he probably should have kept out and suddenly he's shite. Similarly, Che Adams has a decent game against Brazil, no sorry, The Faroe Islands and suddenly he's the answer to all our striking problems. Just wait til the c**t has a stinker against Moldova. 

Of the three goals we conceded in this international break, Marshall was responsible for two of them. That's a problem.

I'm not really interested in being loyal to players for getting us through two penalty shootouts to reach the Euros, I'm interested in winning games. If Marshall spends the rest of the season on the subs bench at Derby like he's done recently, then we're asking for trouble going into the Euros with him in nets.

Adams has shown enough domestically and in his few internationals to prove that he's easily our best striking option.

On the topic of who will and won't be in the squad, I've just read that UEFA are considering extending the squad size to 25 or 26.
That had been rumoured for a while. Good for us if they do? Or more beneficial to other nations?

Dunno, but given the choice I'd take it.

Edit: so long as we don't squander the extra few spaces on a Taylor or a Patterson.
Turnbull at least. Maybe Nisbet. Nice to have the luxury.