The Relegation Run-In

Draws all round on Tuesday night for the teams involved at the bottom

132433272_Tuesdayresults.PNG.76f930ba3dfe2bb29fc3b3fe14ed803e.PNG

Decent point for Clyde, especially coming from behind. No surprise to see Dumbarton failing to score, but a draw with Montrose is OK. Forfar somehow draw with Peterhead despite barely attacking and facing an onslaught, a late penalty save followed by an equaliser gave The Loons an undeserved point. Leaving the table like this:

Table.PNG.8b48d4ec903d02c63ebdb181eee905fb.PNG

Would definitely appear now to be a 3 way battle, although Peterhead will be cursing their dropped points as that would have had them all buts safe, they may still have one eye over their should. Fixtures continuing to come thick and fast with more games tomorrow night:

2096147065_ThursdayFixtures.PNG.562f2afd5d6e852cf47673f23628afc4.PNG

All of the bottom 3 involved and another home game for The Sons, and although a tough game it's one Dumbarton will be aiming to win. The game at Broadwood is arguably the biggest match of the season so far at the bottom of the league. If Clyde win I can't see us catching them, if we win it's wide open and I don't see either side happy with a draw. From our perspective I really hope we don't sit back and try to defend as if we do that Clyde will score, they've shown this season they've got decent fire power and with Goodwillie back they have more threat. Feel that this Thursday could be pivotal in determining who comes 10th.

6 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Feel that this Thursday could be pivotal in determining who comes 10th.

It'll be Dumbarton. We are in the worst form in the league, whether you take that over the last 6, 8 or 10 games, we are 10th. Add that to the fact that we average about 2 shots at goal per game, and the manager has all but run out of ideas (his words), then we are only finishing in one place. 

51 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It'll be Dumbarton. We are in the worst form in the league, whether you take that over the last 6, 8 or 10 games, we are 10th. Add that to the fact that we average about 2 shots at goal per game, and the manager has all but run out of ideas (his words), then we are only finishing in one place. 

Please get a draw or win tomorrow night. 

Thanks very much in advance. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Add that to the fact that we average about 2 shots at goal per game, and the manager has all but run out of ideas (his words), then we are only finishing in one place. 

Ditto, Forfar are just the same.

3 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

From our perspective I really hope we don't sit back and try to defend as if we do that Clyde will score, they've shown this season they've got decent fire power and with Goodwillie back they have more threat. Feel that this Thursday could be pivotal in determining who comes 10th.

We actually struggle to break down teams who sit in.  Will certainly be interesting tomorrow night to see how we do in a game we're expected to be on the front foot. 

Sigh, this thread was fun for a little bit. Thursday's results:

1138882652_ThursdayResults.PNG.354bfd3becf2de42ac09e7428dca7e9f.PNG

Two big wins for Clyde and Dumbarton, I'd be very surprised if that doesn't consign Forfar to 10th place, but still all to play for in the battle to avoid 9th and Forfar fans will be hoping that Stuart Malcolm resigning will have a positive impact; things certainly can't get much more negative. Results leave the table like this:

Table.PNG.7b67c1ec45f2c99e17e69a025dd57905.PNG

Things have got a lot tighter overall with just 6 points separating 4th and 9th; it'd be a surprise if Clyde or Dumbarton could trouble 4th place and I'd imagine both, Dumbarton especially, will still be focusing on avoiding relegation, but stranger things have happened. Any team really apart from the top 2 are a few bad results away from being in trouble. Saturday Fixtures:

643209361_SaturdayFixtures.PNG.ab23ffe78bdafa351eb451c987047966.PNG

Important games all over with a very tough fixture for The Sons. Clyde would be tough on paper but they've  been able to spring results on Falkirk and will be in buoyant mood. A Forfar win (Ha ha, OK) would be have East Fife worried, but should the Fifers win as expected it'd have them looking at 4th place again. Doubtful that the game at Links Park should have much impact on the relegation battle and at Balmoor Peterhead will feel that need points again after throwing away a win at Forfar on Tuesday and seeing both teams immediately below them winning on Thursday night.

We're literally playing half the season in a little over five weeks and with five games left there's a single point separating the top three. Mental.

I'm hoping we win the league purely because I'm not sure I'd survive a playoff campaign on top of all this.

Eighth place is pretty important. I don't fancy the ninth placed club to see off the League 2 challengers.

Been a bit busy to update the results and standings; that and I was partly in the huff because of Forfar's horrendous form. Results since last update:

Saturday 10th:

275092763_SaturdayResults.PNG.4f042f579211c7e081e75edc02c51cd5.PNG

The bottom 4 all losing doesn't really change things, although it's getting interesting seeing who team 6 will be.

Tuesday 13th:

715727216_Tuesdayresults.PNG.4680039657c144c1be5e0c37d60d0809.PNG

No change again, although Forfar disappointed to lose it late on when they had a point in the grasp.

Thursday 15th:

1975837216_ThursdayResults.PNG.40cbdb7be9369350505ae7219b4c4fb5.PNG

Arguably the biggest result at the bottom so far as Dumbarton pull off a huge win at Broadwood, Montrose's hammering sees them slipping perilously close to joining us jobbers in the bottom half.

Saturday 17th:

191167764_Saturday2.PNG.405e0043335c11759b68527a12d49e48.PNG

None of the bottom 3 in action due to the Cup but Peterhead losing from a winning position sees them remain in 7th and looking over their shoulder. This leaves the league table looking like so:

Table.PNG.b4de458203ebdbcaa563c9b0df78c9fc.PNG

With just one game to go before the split it's tight everywhere except for 10th. Peterhead are now guaranteed to be bottom half diddies. Forfar will need a massive up turn in form to survive, and even with a few wins the cut throat nature of the split might still see us 10th. From looking strong for most of the season Montrose are suddenly now looking destined to be in the bottom half too and although I doubt they'll be in the mix it's not unfathomable for them to finish 9th. Oh, and the top of the table looks very exciting but this isn't the thread for that; this is a celebration of the pishy teams deciding who goes down.

Tuesday night sees the last fixtures before the split and will determine how the fixtures will work. The only guarantees are that Forfar will start the split in 10th, and whichever one of East Fife, Airdrie and Montrose fail to make the top half will be team 6.

Fixtures.PNG.4398f4d0f6fa9855b2ac8f20797ea412.PNG

The winners at Airdrie will guarantee themselves a top half finish, although with goal difference a point apiece should see them both finish top half.

Tough game for Dumbarton as Partick seem to have hit their stride at the right time, but the Sons have been very mean in defence so it won't be easy for the Jags.

It's simple at Station Park, if Forfar have any desires to not be relegated automatically they must win. After easily winning the encounter at Broadwood, Clyde will see this as a huge opportunity to jump back up to 8th and see themselves virtually safe from the automatic drop.

Montrose must beat Cove to avoid being club 6 but Cove will have their tails up and believe they can win the title, even a win for Montrose may not be enough.

Peterhead can't see the quite pull away from the teams directly below and have a tough final game against a Falkirk side who'll be desperate for a win after their loss yesterday.

Put me firmly in the the split creates excitement camp. Although the huge amount of games has been chaotic, it's actually been very exciting (well, maybe not for Forfar fans) and with the games continuing to come thick and fast and with every one being hugely important it's going to make for a great end to one of the most unusual seasons Scottish football has ever seen. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Probabilities via the fantastic @Fuctifano

PXL_20210421_072930185.jpg

Peterhead's win last night leaves them practically safe, now down to Clyde and Dumbarton to battle it out for 9th. 1st of May looking like the decider. 

Thank you for what will most likely be ..........the kiss of death for PFC!