Top 5 Gigs

RiffRaff

REM -barrowlands - Green tour - 1989?

Smiths - barrowlands - Queen is dead tour - 1985

Edwyn collins - cockpit, Leeds, first time after his stroke, Roddy Frame on guitar, blubbed like a baby. 

PJ Harvey  - adelphi Hull, I lived 200yds away and was a member. Strolled to the front of the queue, showed my card, paid my money, circumvented a 300+ queue for a 250 size venue

Sugar - leadmill, Sheffield. 

Perhaps not the best but definitely memorable. Ash at the roadhouse in Manchester in the middle of summer supporting Anastasia screamed. Literally, and I don't use the word lightly, 10 people watched them play their first ever gig in Manchester. I think they had just done their A levels. However, tried to find info about this gig and maybe I've made it all up as I can't find any mention of it online at all!

Erm,...I've seen seven out of the eight quoted above (I wouldn't have crossed the street to see Yes)...you have forgotten one other individual who, when seen live, cannot be bettered.

The late, great, Rory Gallagher.

Oh,...and another...the late, great, and indeed sensational, Alex Harvey.

Now you can close the thread.

p.s. There are too many great gigs for whatever reason made them "great" (for you personally) at whatever time in your life to list them.

Just too many. I can't begin to list mine.

I can't play a note, so my thanks to all the chanters, chancers, screamers, shouters, players, and poseurs who have entertained us.

God gave rock & roll to you, gave rock & roll to you, gave rock & roll to everyone.

Yes, yes, of course...semantics.

There are just too many to list as few as five. It would be a different answer tomorrow.

It would be just as valid to list your own top five Dr. Feelgood shows. They would all be correct, but not necessarily in the right order.

On 22/04/2021 at 16:06, Jimi Shandrix said:

Was at the REM gig at Stirling Castle. Stereolab were one of the most innovative bands of the 90's but playing to a crowd that primarily thought "Out Of Time" was REM's debut album was always going to be a  tough gig. Also saw REM at Murrayfield a few years before. They just weren't suited to stadiums. Would love to have seen them at the Caley Cinema in Edinburgh in 1984.

I don't doubt that Stereolab on their own might have been good. The problem for me was the length of their set. You go to a concert, you expect some up and coming support band and you will give them, say, 45 minutes to warm up everyone. But they were on for about an hour and a half, the same as REM were. And yes, they were a different proposition to REM and their sound didn't fit most of the crowd. 

An example of a good warm up band was The Seahorses who played for U2 at Murrayfield in 97. Ideal.

An hour should be the maximum for a support act, no matter who they are. And even then, a support band should only get something like that if there's a certainty they'll fit with the audience. There's nothing to be gained from anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Rammstein - Newcastle arena 2012, unbelievable show which made me more of a serous fan

Rocket from the crypt - cluny 2017/18 amazing to see one of my favourite bands in such a small venue

manic street preachers - Newcastle city hall 1996. First of seven times I’ve seen them and first proper Gig I went to, was a real eye opener seeing so many richey lookalikes etc

weezer - Melbourne 2013

played the blue album in full, amazing.

rancid - Newcastle academy

seen these a few times here and also in Chicago. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2021 at 01:15, Black Pennel said:

Yes, yes, of course...semantics.

There are just too many to list as few as five. It would be a different answer tomorrow.

It would be just as valid to list your own top five Dr. Feelgood shows. They would all be correct, but not necessarily in the right order.

I'd have to make it a top three - but every one a belter. Acts I've seen multiple times (more than half-a-dozen) are Budgie, Magnum, and - don't snigger - Lindisfarne. Those Geordie lads turned every gig into a party, and rarely disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Was when Take to the Skies was out. 2007~.

Caught them there on a few tours. Best was the anniversary of that album.

Best time I seen them was Stop the Clocks at Brixton though. The Barras show a few days later was magnificent but that Brixton show was incredible.