Top 5 Gigs

RiffRaff

In no particular order:

Neil Young and Promise of the Real, Leeds Arena 2016. Three hours plus of the God-like Genius, with Willie's boys filling in admirably for the Horse. And a support act! (Laura Marling - decent set)

Ozzy Osbourne, Glasgow Apollo 1980. Phenomenal return from the Prince of Fucking Darkness, given an amazing reception at the Best Venue Ever. Supported by everybody's favourite Welsh Trio, Budgie, who, as normal, didn't disappoint* 

Whitesnake, Glasgow Apollo, 1979 (I think). Back when they were a great band, i.e. before Davey Boy discovered hairspray and MTV. Marsden and Moody on twin guiotars, and Jon Lord on the keys. What more could you want? Ian Paice on Drums,? Go on, Then!** Support was Gary Moore with, I think, G-Force - this was in his transition period between Lizzy-style rock and a more bluesy style, and didn't get a great reception. 

Def Leppard - Ayr Pavilion, 1980. The first NWOBHM*** band I saw who were obviously going on to better things than the inside pages of Sounds. Amazing to think that they were contemporaries of mine, with a couple of the band (I think) actually younger than me. Supported by Witchfynde, who were gamely hanging on to the tail of that NWOBHM bandwagon, having listened to WAY too much Black Sabbath. When your "light show" includes black candles...

Rush, Glasgow Apollo, 1980 (X2). I caught them just before they went (for me) a bit weird. Two phenomenal shows, as I couldn't shift the spare ticket I had for the second night - nobody wanted a box seat. Turns out to have been a great seat, as I got to watch the Professor at work almost from above. No support, but I'll forgive them for firstly, meeting with some fans (including YT) after the gig and secondly, for giving me my recording debut. (check the sleeve notes on "Exit... Stage Left"). 

* Seen them over a dozen times, paid to see them twice. It seemed at one point in the late 70s/early 80s, if Magnum weren't the support, Budgie were. , ** Neil Murray knew his way around a bass guitar as well, tbf. 

*** Never put Leppard in with the likes of Samson, Vardis and the like. Their class was obvious from the first few notes of "Ride into the Sun" on the Bludgeon Riffola EP. Which I've still got, btw. 

Oh, and a final thought - to the OP. I saw AC/DC at the Apollo on the BiB tour and, I have to be hionest, was unimpressed (and AC/DC are a favourite band of mine who have turned in some pretty good gigs over they years). Maybe it was the other night from @RiffRaff, I dunno. What I do know is that the support, Starfighters, were godawful. 

Have done my list and purposely omitted a great gig as i'd actually bought the ticket to see the support act.  Saw The Eagles at the Apollo in 1977, which was phenomenal, but was there primarily to see the late and great Dan Fogelberg.  Unfortunately, he had to pull out before the gig and i never got the chance to see him after that.  The Eagles were spectacular.

Oh, and a final thought - to the OP. I saw AC/DC at the Apollo on the BiB tour and, I have to be hionest, was unimpressed (and AC/DC are a favourite band of mine who have turned in some pretty good gigs over they years). Maybe it was the other night from [mention=79317]RiffRaff[/mention], I dunno. What I do know is that the support, Starfighters, were godawful. 

I think that it was the Saturday night that I saw them.

It was the second concert that I had been to so that might be a reason why it stands out.

Biggest musical regret is not seeing them with Bon Scott.

1. 2 Tone Tour Glasgow Tiffanys 79

2. Ruts somewhere in Edinburgh also 79 I think

3 Stiff Little Fingers with Starjets supporting Apollo 78 or 79 maybe

4. Old 97s Chicago Metro around 2012

5. PJ Harvey Richmond Virginia around 2017 or 2018

4 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

1. 2 Tone Tour Glasgow Tiffanys 79

2. Ruts somewhere in Edinburgh also 79 I think

3 Stiff Little Fingers with Starjets supporting Apollo 78 or 79 maybe

4. Old 97s Chicago Metro around 2012

5. PJ Harvey Richmond Virginia around 2017 or 2018

Number 1, you lucky, lucky b*****d.

1). U2. Rome 2017 on joshua tree revisited tour ( or whatever it was called)
2). Lenny Kravitz. Are you gonna go my way tour at SECC in 94 or 95

3) pogues. Barrowlands, in 95 or 96. No MacGowan but just electric atmosphere 

4) Snow Patrol, Hk in 2010 ( or around then)

5) Robbie Williams. Singapore Grand Prix in 2014. In middle of a torrential downpour ( the likes of which those who have not been to Southeast Asia could not imagine) the guy came out and absolutely ruled. Music is  Not my cup of tea but he is a performer 

Radiohead- Barrowland 1997

The Stones(George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Joe Jackson, J Geils Band)-Leeds Rounday Park 1982

Babybird-Glasgow Hug and Pint 2018 (only 100 in the audience but he was in fine grumpy form with a band as tight as a tight thing)

The Silencers-Barrowland 1995

Nils Lofgren-Redcar Bowl 1992

The Libertines - Barrowlands 2014 - First UK gig they played after the comeback, was a John McClure DJ Set for the suppor act, incredible night

The View - Barrowlands 2016 - not long after Hibs won the Scottish Cup and the Warburtons a Fanny song was sung walking out the Barras by a huge crowd, mental given it was in Glasgow 😂.

Kasabian - TITP 2015 - Festival crowds aren’t always up to much but this was an exception, unbelievable set and unbelievable show they put on, slightly tainted now by Tom Meighan being a fucking w****r but unreal nonetheless.

Milburn - O2 Academy Sheffield 2016 - A band many people underrate imo, very early Arctic Monkeys and obviously from the same place, another comeback gig in their hometown, absolutely wild night, Sheffield is a good night out too

Miles Kane - Liquid Rooms 2014 - The place  was absolutely jumping, I was only 17 and hadn’t been bevying but I didn’t need it the atmosphere lifted me, absolutely erupted when he came on and opened with Inhaler, guy puts on such a good show regardless of what you think of him.

On 01/04/2021 at 13:19, centralTon said:

Kraftwerk - Apollo 16-6-81, They were so good we went through to the Playhouse the next night 17-6-81, queued up for tickets and managed to get in.

Bowie - Murrayfield 28-6-83.

Japan - Odeon 12-5-81, Playhouse - 15-2-81, Apollo 26-10-82. Difficult to say which one was the best gig.

Oasis - Black Grape - Ocean Colour Scene - Cast - Balloch country Park - 3-8-96.

Marvin Gaye - Usher Hall - 21-1-80.

Bowie serious moonlight at Murrayfield was absolutely ruined with the rain. It just never let up. Japan at the Playhouse is definitely up there for me. Mick Karn RIP. I still listen to Oil on Canvas often and my son has mastered the bass from Sons of Pioneers!

1. David Bowie, at the Apollo 1978 (the Thursday night).

2. Siouxsie, at Edinburgh Tiffanys 1980.

3. Willie Nelson, Fort Worth Texas 2010.

4. Japan, Edinburgh Playhouse 1981.

5. David Bowie, Roker Park 1987,

On 12/04/2021 at 20:16, Glen Sannox said:

Bowie serious moonlight at Murrayfield was absolutely ruined with the rain. It just never let up. Japan at the Playhouse is definitely up there for me. Mick Karn RIP. I still listen to Oil on Canvas often and my son has mastered the bass from Sons of Pioneers!

1. David Bowie, at the Apollo 1978 (the Thursday night).

2. Siouxsie, at Edinburgh Tiffanys 1980.

3. Willie Nelson, Fort Worth Texas 2010.

4. Japan, Edinburgh Playhouse 1981.

5. David Bowie, Roker Park 1987,

I saw Bowie at Murrayfild and like everyone else got absolutely soaked.

Five days later at Milton Keynes Bowl I got sunburnt.

3 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I saw Bowie at Murrayfild and like everyone else got absolutely soaked.

Five days later at Milton Keynes Bowl I got sunburnt.

I saw him at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1990. It was incredibly hot and as you know, there is nowhere to hide there. The medics were very busy that day.

Bruce Springsteen, Etihad Arena, 2012. Came on stage at 7 pm, no warm up band, no break, finished at 11.30 pm. Top class.

U2 Murrayfield 1997. This was the Pop tour so a few poor songs in the set, but it was my first proper stadium gig and it was an absolute riot. 

Eagles Hampden 2001. Fantastic. Joe Walsh in a kilt playing "Life's Been Good" was my highlight.

REM, Stirling castle, 1999. They had a warm-up band called Stereolab that were awful and played for about 90 minutes. Me and my friends were (along with everyone else) booing them to get off. Then the band came on and they were fabulous. Glorious summer evening.

Last one is a toss-up so I'll call it a tie (or top 6 if you like). First up, Mark Knopfler, Albert Halls, Stirling, 1996. Charity gig for the Dunblane families and a low key affair, but the first time I saw an actually great guitarist at work. Changed his guitar after every song. Second, Smokie, Uppsala Town Hall in Sweden, 1999. You have no idea how popular these guys were in Scandinavia. A fun old concert - turns out the Swedes didn;t know the Chubby Brown version of Livin' Next Door to Alice. I was the only one singing those bits, and getting dirty looks.

On 15/04/2021 at 15:38, scottsdad said:

Bruce Springsteen, Etihad Arena, 2012. Came on stage at 7 pm, no warm up band, no break, finished at 11.30 pm. Top class.

U2 Murrayfield 1997. This was the Pop tour so a few poor songs in the set, but it was my first proper stadium gig and it was an absolute riot. 

Eagles Hampden 2001. Fantastic. Joe Walsh in a kilt playing "Life's Been Good" was my highlight.

REM, Stirling castle, 1999. They had a warm-up band called Stereolab that were awful and played for about 90 minutes. Me and my friends were (along with everyone else) booing them to get off. Then the band came on and they were fabulous. Glorious summer evening.

Last one is a toss-up so I'll call it a tie (or top 6 if you like). First up, Mark Knopfler, Albert Halls, Stirling, 1996. Charity gig for the Dunblane families and a low key affair, but the first time I saw an actually great guitarist at work. Changed his guitar after every song. Second, Smokie, Uppsala Town Hall in Sweden, 1999. You have no idea how popular these guys were in Scandinavia. A fun old concert - turns out the Swedes didn;t know the Chubby Brown version of Livin' Next Door to Alice. I was the only one singing those bits, and getting dirty looks.

Was at the REM gig at Stirling Castle. Stereolab were one of the most innovative bands of the 90's but playing to a crowd that primarily thought "Out Of Time" was REM's debut album was always going to be a  tough gig. Also saw REM at Murrayfield a few years before. They just weren't suited to stadiums. Would love to have seen them at the Caley Cinema in Edinburgh in 1984.

On 05/04/2021 at 16:57, Steven W said:

The Wedding Present - Fibbers, York - July 2006. (a dark and dingey tiny wee venue which is right up my street. This was on the back of their return from the Cinerama era with the excellent Take Fountain album)

That gig was the day Italy won the world cup, and the WP guitarist at the time won money on it #trivia

On 15/04/2021 at 15:38, scottsdad said:

Get a load of cloth ears here!

11 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

That gig was the day Italy won the world cup, and the WP guitarist at the time won money on it #trivia

It was indeed. Also Nadal and Federer played a classic 5 setter Wimbledon final in the afternoon.

I'm guessing you were there too? And if so, fucking hell! It's a small world!

Nomeansno - King Tuts 2004   --  every time seeing this band could have been the last with their ages and economic viability, and thankfully it wasn't but it was the best I saw them

My Bloody Valentine - Barrowlands 2007 - went two nights in a row, the first was the better, an absolute top tier experience.  Amazing.

Kraftwerk, Hollywood Bowl 2016 -- not all the original dudes obviously but a peerless setlist and a fine outdoor evening and surprisingly augmented by 3D visuals. Great.

Ringo Deathstarr - Sneaky Pete's  2010 --  superb band when firing and on their first UK tour they had their own soundman with them and it made all the difference.  

Twilight Sad - Bannerman's 2007 -- apparently their first ever Edinburgh gig? Just read that looking up the date.  Had seen them at Connect Festival I think (fkn boooo) but this was obv more squashed in and intense.