RiffRaff

1) David Bowie - Serious Moomlight Tour - Murrayfield / Milton Keynes Bowl 1983

2) AC/DC - Back in Black Tour - Glasgow Apollo 1980

3 )Big Country - Barrowlands Hogmanay 1983

4) Siouxsie & The Banshees - Elephant Fayre - Cornwall 1982

5) Primal Scream - QMU Glasgow - 2008ish

In ascending order of venue size

Melt Banana: The Caves (2019)
Faith No More/L7: The Barrowlands (1990)
Alice Cooper: Usher Hall (Halloween 2012)
Rush: SECC (Clockwork Angels tour 2013)
Rolling Stones: Murrayfield (1999)

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

I like this venue size order idea...

Bob Mould - Sub Club, Glasgow 1991

Buffalo Tom - Newcastle Riverside 1993

The Wedding Present - Glasgow Barrowlands 1989

Neil Young - Hammersmith Apollo 2008

Rush - Great Woods Amphitheater, Boston 1997

In no particular order :

Slade/Thin Lizzy/Suzi Quatro               -   Empire Edinburgh  1972  (My first gig)

Leonard Cohen                                          -   Edinburgh Castle   2006 (?)

Fleetwood Mac                                         -    Edinburgh Playhouse  1987 (?) 

Big Country                                                -      "        "       "       "    "     "      30 December 1983

Bad Company                                         -     Apollo    1974 (?)

Heart                                                          -     Edinburgh Playhouse   1988 (?)

Honourable mentions to Chris Rea & Everything But The Girl in the 1980s  

In no particular order :

Screenshot_20210331-205502_Samsung Internet.jpg

My first ever gig - my allocated seat was in the 2nd row of the stalls. Felt like most of Glasgow piled over my head when the band came on.

Screenshot_20210331-205342_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cracking all day gig. The supporting acts included Hipsway,  Lloyd Cole & the Commotions, The Waterboys

Screenshot_20210331-205230_Samsung Internet.jpg

Doesn't sound like a good reason, but the band sounded almost exactly like their records that night, really slick.

1 I've lost the ticket for : Big Country,  their Hogmanay gig in 1983. Supported by Runrig,  who were just an up and coming Scottish band at the time.

Last, no ticket required : The Big Day, Glasgow 1990.

Edited by Boghead ranter

In no particular order

Green Day - SECC 2005

Metallica - Donnington 2006

[Spunge] - Ivory Blacks 2013 (My band were one of the support acts which was a big deal being a huge fan of Spunge)

KoRn - Donnington 2006 (Jonathan Davis had been rushed to hospital before the set so singers from the other bands on the festival bill filled in; Corey Taylor, Matt Heafy, Dez Farfara etc)

Slipknot - SECC 2008

No great order

The Proclaimers, Haddington Corn Exchange, 2003

Runrig, Stirling Castle, 1997

The Wildhearts, well anytime really, but the gig at QMU last year was pretty fine

Half Man Half Biscuit, Liquid Rooms, the other year or so

Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Venue, 1990

Kraftwerk - Apollo 16-6-81, They were so good we went through to the Playhouse the next night 17-6-81, queued up for tickets and managed to get in.

Bowie - Murrayfield 28-6-83.

Japan - Odeon 12-5-81, Playhouse - 15-2-81, Apollo 26-10-82. Difficult to say which one was the best gig.

Oasis - Black Grape - Ocean Colour Scene - Cast - Balloch country Park - 3-8-96.

Marvin Gaye - Usher Hall - 21-1-80.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Despite living in Balloch at the time, my then Mrs insisted that we go and see the Eagles at Murrayfield the same day, instead.

Seething, I was.

My mate was the same, his Mrs. was adamant that they go to The Eagles too. 

He was seething as well.

Status Quo - Glasgow Apollo1980 ish (up in the rafters, place literally started bouncing from the first note and didn't stop until the end)

Siouxsie & the Banshees (pre-split line up, think that was the tour Morris and McKay were booted out during) - Stirling Uni 1979

Talking Heads - Edinburgh Odeon or Playhouse 1979 (Fear of Music tour IIRC)

Jethro Tull - Usher Hall 1978 (my first proper gig and my favourite band at the time)

The Tubes with Squeeze supporting - Hammersmith Odeon 1979 (was down for the England v Scotland game with a mate and picked up tickets by chance)

Edited by printer

31 minutes ago, printer said:

Siouxsie & the Banshees (pre-split line up, think that was the tour Morris and McKay were booted out during) - Stirling Uni 1979

They split the night before their Glasgow gig. No mobile etc, my mate came to the door, I assumed to head off to the gig. I remember taking a while to believe him it was off. They cancelled again when Siousxie broke her leg. When I eventually did see them a few months later she did the whole set sitting down...boot!

I'll need to think about a top 5.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

When I eventually did see them a few months later she did the whole set sitting down...boot!

She refused to do an encore when I saw them, despite the crowd shouting for one. Took the huff about something.

1 hour ago, printer said:

She refused to do an encore when I saw them, despite the crowd shouting for one. Took the huff about something.

Aye, I'm a big fan, but from a distance, she'd be hard work.

In no particular order, but that stand out in my memory

The Clash, Glasgow Apollo 4 July 1978. 

The Skids Glasgow Art School 20 March 1979

The Damned, Nottingham Sandpiper 18 May 1979

The Buzzcocks Glasgow Apollo 5.10.79 (Joy Division supporting)

Motorhead Glasgow Apollo 19.11.1979

I was at some in between and went to The Ramones on 28.1.1980, but it's been mostly downhill since then. If I think for another 5 minutes I'll come up with a different 5.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Ash - Behind the Wall, Falkirk - August 2009. (A real novelty this being able to see a well known band within walking distance of the house, and in the tiny upstairs bit of BTW, usually reserved for weekend covers bands)

Los Campesinos - Islington O2 Feb 2020. (Was lucky enough to get to a gig just a few weeks before 'You Know What' happened. Also noteable in that LC were both the support band AND the headline act)

The Wedding Present - Fibbers, York - July 2006. (a dark and dingey tiny wee venue which is right up my street. This was on the back of their return from the Cinerama era with the excellent Take Fountain album)

The View - The Martell, Falkirk  - July 2007.(a secret gig only announced on the day it went ahead and was a warm up for their T in the Park appearance the following weekend. Sold out very quickly. I was lucky enough to get in the back door when the drummer from the support band allowed me in. Gig was very edgy, with the band falling out with the crowd, Kyle vowing "never to play Falkirk again" . Kept his word....)

Los Campesinos - Stereo, Glasgow -November 2015. (Over the last few years LC have become, to all intents and purposes an amateur band, and as such their tours are always small and sporadic. Therefore they become that bit more special).

**I have a ticket for The Wedding Present in Galashiels in August. Not exactly confident that will go ahead, but if it does, after all we've been through I think that would have to be a new entry into my top five.**

On 02/04/2021 at 16:46, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, I'm a big fan, but from a distance, she'd be hard work.

In no particular order, but that stand out in my memory

The Clash, Glasgow Apollo 4 July 1978. 

The Skids Glasgow Art School 20 March 1979

The Damned, Nottingham Sandpiper 18 May 1979

The Buzzcocks Glasgow Apollo 5.10.79 (Joy Division supporting)

Motorhead Glasgow Apollo 19.11.1979

I was at some in between and went to The Ramones on 28.1.1980, but it's been mostly downhill since then. If I think for another 5 minutes I'll come up with a different 5.

Was at that gig too, just missed making my top 5.