Dumbarton vs Airdrie

Duffy is lucky these games are behind closed doors because he’s properly entered booing off the park and calls for his head from the stands territory. That sort of thing can put pressure on a board to act but I reckon the lack of supporters voicing their disgust at him, his vile brand of football and the gang of stinking rejects he has assembled may well keep him in a job for longer.
Get him out and ban him from ever subjecting football supporters to Duffyball for the rest of eternity. His time is well and truly up.

I can’t believe a good few still back him to turn it around [emoji85][emoji85]

4 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I can’t believe a good few still back him to turn it around emoji85.pngemoji85.png

A lot of our supporters have this really weird attitude where they think we are poor little Dumbarton and we should just be thankful for what we have, no matter how shite it is. Recent years of constant sob stories and being reminded how hard we’ve got it have led to this IMHO. 

33 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A lot of our supporters have this really weird attitude where they think we are poor little Dumbarton and we should just be thankful for what we have, no matter how shite it is. Recent years of constant sob stories and being reminded how hard we’ve got it have led to this IMHO. 

Swap you Murray for obi wan Duffy

Deal or no deal......

If Aberdeen don't run up a vidiprinter score on Saturday - one that in the old Grandstand days would have the score in words in brackets just to make sure nobody made a mistake reading it - then Glass should walk after his first game in charge.
Saturday has 7 or 8 (eight) - 0 (nil) written all over it.

Problem is I’m quite confident we’ll shitfest a 2-0 defeat, the stats will be 19 shots to 2 but Duffy will somehow take credit for making us resilient and hard to beat.

That was just a carbon copy of our previous two home league games. I couldn't even be bothered to write a report up - so the reaction from Duffy is here for anyone wanting a read. I figured that's what most folk would probably be interested in.

We created nothing. Airdrie didn't create much either, but at least they threatened on occasion - and linked two bits of quality together for the goal. 

From Duffy's post-match he said he's tried telling the players to attack more, tried switching formations, personnel and tried adding new faces. And none of it is working. It's obviously clear for us all to see, but that coming from the manager is massive worry. I was chatting to another fan after the game and he mentioned that this is the least entertaining Sons side he's ever seen. I'd agree. Sure we've had some poor teams over the years, but very few have been as toothless as this one.

We simply don't score goals. I've now been on co-comms for eight games and we've only scored in two of them; Huntly and Cove Rangers. That's it. It's absolutely draining to watch. That game today was absolutely brutal to watch, so it means a lot to read the comments from folk saying they enjoyed the coverage. 

I'm not 100 percent sure where the problem lies with our lack of a threat. Look at some of our attacking options; Wilson, Crossan, Wallace, Omar, Frizzell, Forbes even Conner Duthie. Not world beaters. But guys who should be capable of getting a few shots on target in League One at the very least. Does that mean the fault is at the door of the manager? Well he can't control the players on the park, and they are clearly under-performing, but questions need to be asked about why. Wilson had a great debut, but has tailed off since. Crossan looked far better last season than this. Frizzell looked a world-beater on his debut - but has faded. Forbes was one of the best players in the league and notched double figures in goals and assists when Duffy first came in. What's gone on since then?

Jaime Wilson is the guy I have most sympathy for though. He's clearly a handy player and I'd back him to score a good number of goals in a side that created chances and played to his strengths. But with us he gets 67 minutes of having the ball hoofed at him, gets bashed about by defenders who tower of him, runs himself into the ground...and is then hooked. It's a total waste.

There are two 'what ifs' that fascinate me though.

- Firstly, what if last season had finished as normal. Where would we have ended up? And would Duffy have remained in charge?

- Secondly, what if fans were in. How much pressure would Duffy be under now, and what sort of reaction would he be getting?

On Airdrie, well I was disappointed when they took Thomas Robert off. He definitely drifts in and out of games, but the way he glides across the pitch with the ball when he fancies it is quite beautiful to watch. He was pretty much the only enjoyable aspect of the game. I guess their biggest frustration will be that he doesn't use the outrageous talent he clearly has to grab a match by the scruff of the neck. That aside they didn't look like a team on such a woeful run. They played with a bit of confidence and every so often knocked the ball about at a really good tempo. Much like Robert though that was kind of patchy, and they looked content to drop to our level for spells.

I hope their form improves though. Ian Murray and Bryan Prunty on the touchline is the stuff of dreams. My all time favourite Sons manager with quite probably my all-time favourite Sons player. Between that and their beautiful kit I might just pretend I'm a Diamonds fan from now on 😍

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Problem is I’m quite confident we’ll shitfest a 2-0 defeat, the stats will be 19 shots to 2 but Duffy will somehow take credit for making us resilient and hard to beat.

Agreed. I actually reckon Montrose will cause us more damage than Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I agree to an extent. The club clearly has major issues, but what’s going on at the moment isn’t acceptable, regardless of how bad things are off the park. I don’t think there’s many L2 sides we’d beat at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

JD’s comments there could be translated to “I give up”

Certainly does read a bit like that.

Tonight was exactly the same game as Forfar and Peterhead. It was so predictable that they would grab a winner which we’d have no chance of coming back from. It’s absolutely criminal that we’ve taken 0 points from those 3 games. We should never throw in the towel, but it’s so hard to see us lifting it.

Edited by FifeSons

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was just a carbon copy of our previous two home league games. I couldn't even be bothered to write a report up - so the reaction from Duffy is here for anyone wanting a read. I figured that's what most folk would probably be interested in.

We created nothing. Airdrie didn't create much either, but at least they threatened on occasion - and linked two bits of quality together for the goal. 

From Duffy's post-match he said he's tried telling the players to attack more, tried switching formations, personnel and tried adding new faces. And none of it is working. It's obviously clear for us all to see, but that coming from the manager is massive worry. I was chatting to another fan after the game and he mentioned that this is the least entertaining Sons side he's ever seen. I'd agree. Sure we've had some poor teams over the years, but very few have been as toothless as this one.

We simply don't score goals. I've now been on co-comms for eight games and we've only scored in two of them; Huntly and Cove Rangers. That's it. It's absolutely draining to watch. That game today was absolutely brutal to watch, so it means a lot to read the comments from folk saying they enjoyed the coverage. 

I'm not 100 percent sure where the problem lies with our lack of a threat. Look at some of our attacking options; Wilson, Crossan, Wallace, Omar, Frizzell, Forbes even Conner Duthie. Not world beaters. But guys who should be capable of getting a few shots on target in League One at the very least. Does that mean the fault is at the door of the manager? Well he can't control the players on the park, and they are clearly under-performing, but questions need to be asked about why. Wilson had a great debut, but has tailed off since. Crossan looked far better last season than this. Frizzell looked a world-beater on his debut - but has faded. Forbes was one of the best players in the league and notched double figures in goals and assists when Duffy first came in. What's gone on since then?

Jaime Wilson is the guy I have most sympathy for though. He's clearly a handy player and I'd back him to score a good number of goals in a side that created chances and played to his strengths. But with us he gets 67 minutes of having the ball hoofed at him, gets bashed about by defenders who tower of him, runs himself into the ground...and is then hooked. It's a total waste.

There are two 'what ifs' that fascinate me though.

- Firstly, what if last season had finished as normal. Where would we have ended up? And would Duffy have remained in charge?

- Secondly, what if fans were in. How much pressure would Duffy be under now, and what sort of reaction would he be getting?

On Airdrie, well I was disappointed when they took Thomas Robert off. He definitely drifts in and out of games, but the way he glides across the pitch with the ball when he fancies it is quite beautiful to watch. He was pretty much the only enjoyable aspect of the game. I guess their biggest frustration will be that he doesn't use the outrageous talent he clearly has to grab a match by the scruff of the neck. That aside they didn't look like a team on such a woeful run. They played with a bit of confidence and every so often knocked the ball about at a really good tempo. Much like Robert though that was kind of patchy, and they looked content to drop to our level for spells.

I hope their form improves though. Ian Murray and Bryan Prunty on the touchline is the stuff of dreams. My all time favourite Sons manager with quite probably my all-time favourite Sons player. Between that and their beautiful kit I might just pretend I'm a Diamonds fan from now on 😍

What are you on, have you not seen the results since the  restart. No, to be honest we are in the same boat as Dumbarton, I really thought we were the worst team in the league going by the restart, seems if any team can show a wee bit quality and score a goal they will win, one thing for sure if and when any team go up they better get the queue book out , 

8 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

What are you on, have you not seen the results since the  restart. No, to be honest we are in the same boat as Dumbarton, I really thought we were the worst team in the league going by the restart, seems if any team can show a wee bit quality and score a goal they will win, one thing for sure if and when any team go up they better get the queue book out , 

Based on last night, and the squad you have, Airdrie are a far better side than Dumbarton. And are certainly nowhere near the worst team in the division. Given all the doom and gloom I'd read on here, and their recent form, I was expecting a clone of us/last season's Forfar team to turn up. But they certainly didn't.

11 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Nonsense red there. Airdrie indulging in a bit of gamesmanship. Forbes has a wee push to get the guy out the way and he falls over like he's been shot.

Red was a massive overreaction, particularly since the ref had his card out to book the Airdrie player who originally fouled Wedderburn. Ref needs to have a word with both players and then get one with it. Never a red in a million years.

I’m sorry but Ross Forbes is a fucking clown. At the time I thought it was complete stupidity from him but thought I’d await the highlights which have confirmed that Forbes is indeed a fucking clown. 

He’s quite literally just booted the guy out of frustration, when the game was practically done, whilst we’re in the midst of what is probably the busiest schedule in the history of the club. When Duffy leaves he can take that fanny with him. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Based on last night, and the squad you have, Airdrie are a far better side than Dumbarton. And are certainly nowhere near the worst team in the division. Given all the doom and gloom I'd read on here, and their recent form, I was expecting a clone of us/last season's Forfar team to turn up. But they certainly didn't.

We have a dozen or so players and a manager you are more than welcome to.

3 minutes ago, G_H said:

We have a dozen or so players and a manager you are more than welcome to.

I'd bite your hand clean off to have Muzz back in our dugout. I'd absolutely love to see Calum Gallagher back at the Rock as well - even if he's going through a barren spell in front of goal at the moment.

Out of interest, and sort of reversing the question, which Sons players do you think would get in the Airdrie squad/starting 11 - if any?

Just now, sonsanorak said:

Boy Turner in centre midfield was excellent, great appetite to get on the ball and played well.

I see Jim claiming we tried playing with two wingers, when was that?

Kyle Turner is fantastic player and it's a national disgrace that he's back in League One imo.

I suppose we sort of tried it last night, with Duthie on one side and Wallace on the other. We had Rabin and Crossan against Falkirk too, who are both wingers. Well, PJ is sort of a winger at least. I still don't quite know what his best position is.

It's at least not the double left-backs game that we played with Rico and Daniel Church for a few games...

17 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I won't intrude on your justified grief about the Sons, and will add that both of you were very good commentators-fair/objective/wee bit of humour/ and great knowledge of L1 football and archives. I don't know if I misheard one one of you saying "That's Ramsbottom ball , it's some weight"  late on but it made me giggle a bit. On the Diamonds I feel you got us right and we did produce a few good bits of football -our run had been bad as we played 2 teams that were better set up, and without Turner we were always going to toil at Balmoor. Callum Gallagher has been in and out, and we lacked any creative midfield-often 3 centre backs plus the back 4! Robert is a clever glider as you say and he has scored three really good goals but he lacks the toughness to take on the big hairy defenders in L1.  There is a bit of a media story around him but he is a bit of an enigma being so inexperienced. Thanks also for your remarks on Brian Prunty and the kit-any time we have used our horrible yellow third strip I feel like vomiting! ( Mean no offence to your own wonderful outfits)  I watched a wee clip today and Forbes was just a bit petulant and should have known better: you can't just kick out when the play has stopped.  Best wishes

8 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd bite your hand clean off to have Muzz back in our dugout. I'd absolutely love to see Calum Gallagher back at the Rock as well - even if he's going through a barren spell in front of goal at the moment.

Out of interest, and sort of reversing the question, which Sons players do you think would get in the Airdrie squad/starting 11 - if any?

The right back was a solid looking guy but of that squad I can't think of many. The young guy Wilson scored a good goal at Airdrie but does he edge out our "strikers" -probably not. Forbes and Carslaw of 6 years ago but not now. To be honest I can't comment on the loan players I have not seen, unlike Regan Tumilty last season who was really good.