Livingston v Raith Rovers

Plenty to take from that.

In the end, fair result.  We were brilliant first half, but we we really needed to keep Gullan fit.  Livi knew we built from the back, so pushed us high up the pitch - which can cause us issues.  Difference for me was Vaughan and Gullans movement created space for the midfield, what a difference.  Perhaps should have been 2-0 up at half time, but maybe that's a bit far.

As soon as Gullan was off, it was a matter of time.  We lost one of our main out balls, and Vaughan was never going to last the course.  There is also the elephant in the room, that Duku isn't very good.  His early form looks very much the exception rather than the rule.  He had to do so much better when put through on goal.  The cries about some kind of conspiracy look as ridiculous as the cries that the team had turned to shit since Mcglynn came back from illness.  Duku is not good enough, unless he is being furnished with a luxurious amount of balls in the 6 yard box. 

As soon as it got to 1-1, Livingston dominated.  A shame to lose out in the 2nd half of extra time, but it was coming so fair play to them.

Really don't buy into this chat about it being the "worst possible outcome".  We went toe to toe with a top 6 Premiership side who are going for Europe, and who reached a National cup final this season.  Holding our own over 90 minutes (and perhaps feeling disappointed not to win it) is gargantuan progress from some previous years.  Granted, we could have done without the extra 30 mins - but we have a free midweek for the first time in a month, and are playing against a part-time side next week.  An extra 30 mins should not matter one jot in the long run.

Well played Livi, they really grew into the 2nd half and in extra time.  However I'm happy with what I saw today - we didn't look one bit out of place against a decent Premiership outfit,  that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Lots of positives today, I enjoyed the match and glad to have a proper cup tie again.  All the best to Livi in the next round. 

I think Livi deserved their win. They stepped up in the 2nd half & we tried to match them at high balls when we were much more successful playing it on the deck. They also seemed fresher than us towards the end. If we draw you again let's make it at Stark's for a change.

37 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Get in Matej, my Slovenian hero. 

Devlin phenomenal down that wing again, maybe @EdinburghLivi will crack in his Devlin crusade now :D 

One quality delivery from him for every 9 rubbish ones, I reckon. If he could increase it to 1 good for 4 bad, he'll be back in my good books.

For me, the worst possible outcome today was us losing after extra time and picking up injuries. Both of which happened. Hopefully the injuries are minor in nature. 

There's absolutely no shame in the defeat at all. 

Raith much better team for 60 min, every Livi player was poor 1st half, Raith should have went in 3 goals up.
Overall Livi shaded the game but well done Raith, it could've been different had they took their chances, and kept the pressure on second half 

McCrorie   2/10   Ball distribution poor, left the goals wide open for rovers goal

Devlin     6/10   Done ok, crossing could be better

Fizzywater  6/10  Looks better up the park, can be a bit casual at the back

Longridge  6/10  Steady, good on the ball

Guthrie     6/10  Played his usual reliable  game

Bartley     3/10   Done nothing defensively, or going forward

Holt         4/10    Still trying to work out his contribution, every time he gets the ball he passes back or sideways, does nothing creative 

Sibbald     8/10   Playing further up the park, seen a lot of the ball, plenty energy and running

Pittman    5/10  Plenty energy just not his day

Forrest    5/10   Done ok start of second half  

Jet        3/10   Far to slow, comes back to deep, needs plenty support.

Mullin  6/10   Done ok

Poplatnik  6/10  Done well enough, needs to play more in the box, tends to come deep

Diani   not on long enough

Kabia   not on long enough

First game this season I’ve not bothered with. My dinner arrived just as the game was about to start and I couldn’t be arsed getting the laptop out to buy the game. Doesn’t sound like I missed a massive amount. Hopefully Gullan isn’t too badly hurt, as having him, Vaughan and Hendry fit to the play offs is absolutely essential.

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

For me, the worst possible outcome today was us losing after extra time and picking up injuries. Both of which happened. Hopefully the injuries are minor in nature. 

There's absolutely no shame in the defeat at all. 

I get that, I guess it wasn't inconceivable that we got a doing today and still had injuries.   That would have been worse for me.  The extra time itself shouldn't really mean anything, given that we have a full week until our next fixture.

Thought Raith played some neat football today and really gave us a game. Good players who know their jobs and comfortable on the ball. Would like to see you come up so a wee trip to KDY would be on the cards.

Livi - Matej P puts more into 10 minutes on the park than Jet in the whole time he was on.  Too many anonymous players today and Raiths quick passing had us chasing shadows at times.  

Glad to get through but sweating at times.  Just the Livi way!

I have no hesitation to have a go at McCrorie when he makes an arse of something but wtf was our wall doing for their goal? Dreadful stuff unless McCrorie has told them to split. 

As I said, Raith dominated and overrun the midfield for most of the game due to our poor possession. Holt bad and Pittman and Bartley were anonymous. Didn't think Sibbald was as good as he usually is either. We started to get on top when we played it wide more often in the second half. Mullin is the only player in the squad who can deliver a good ball consistently, so he is worth having on the pitch for the set pieces alone. Good to see Poplatnik get another goal, it's been long overdue. 

Longridge was our best player again. Been impressed with him in every game since he has returned. 

Home games to lower league teams in the draw tomorrow, please.

7 minutes ago, Scrutinizer said:

Raith much better team for 60 min, every Livi player was poor 1st half, Raith should have went in 3 goals up.
Overall Livi shaded the game but well done Raith, it could've been different had they took their chances, and kept the pressure on second half 

McCrorie   2/10   Ball distribution poor, left the goals wide open for rovers goal

Devlin     6/10   Done ok, crossing could be better

Fizzywater  6/10  Looks better up the park, can be a bit casual at the back

Longridge  6/10  Steady, good on the ball

Guthrie     6/10  Played his usual reliable  game

Bartley     3/10   Done nothing defensively, or going forward

Holt         4/10    Still trying to work out his contribution, every time he gets the ball he passes back or sideways, does nothing creative 

Sibbald     8/10   Playing further up the park, seen a lot of the ball, plenty energy and running

Pittman    5/10  Plenty energy just not his day

Forrest    5/10   Done ok start of second half  

Jet        3/10   Far to slow, comes back to deep, needs plenty support.

Mullin  6/10   Done ok

Poplatnik  6/10  Done well enough, needs to play more in the box, tends to come deep

Diani   not on long enough

Kabia   not on long enough

" Raith the better team for 60 mins. Overall Livi shaded the game "  You don't half come out with some pish !

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

What I would say is that, on todays evidence, if Livingston are genuinely looking at Hendry, he will probably walk straight into that midfield. 

I was going to say prior to the game that I couldn't see him getting in our team based on the number of quality players we have in that position. Maybe I was wrong.

Still doubt we'll be seriously looking at him though, we have too many players in that position signed up for next season.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

16 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

One quality delivery from him for every 9 rubbish ones, I reckon. If he could increase it to 1 good for 4 bad, he'll be back in my good books.

Think the last few months he's been one of our best players

Devlin played well today. His pace is always going to cause teams problems and he was getting in behind our defence well. Musonda maybe isn't a natural lb but he's very comfortable there and he did manage to recover quite a few times to stop Devlin from getting the easy ball in when he did get in behind. Surprised to see some don't rate him.

I have no hesitation to have a go at McCrorie when he makes an arse of something but wtf was our wall doing for their goal? Dreadful stuff unless McCrorie has told them to split. 
As I said, Raith dominated and overrun the midfield for most of the game due to our poor possession. Holt bad and Pittman and Bartley were anonymous. Didn't think Sibbald was as good as he usually is either. We started to get on top when we played it wide more often in the second half. Mullin is the only player in the squad who can deliver a good ball consistently, so he is worth having on the pitch for the set pieces alone. Good to see Poplatnik get another goal, it's been long overdue. 
Longridge was our best player again. Been impressed with him in every game since he has returned. 
Home games to lower league teams in the draw tomorrow, please.
Mullin's delivery is, undoubtedly, quality but he has a tendancy to let games pass him by too often. Sibbald, by comparison, is involved in just about everything

Surprised at the Matej praise here tbf. Yes he did more than JET, but that's really not hard, and I felt Matej was anonymous other than the goal. I suspect we'll be looking for someone new to lead the line next season.

I also don't get the Devlin hate, I think he's been one of our better players this season, particularly over the last couple of months. Today he was up there again.

I've criticised Jacko a lot as well, but today he and Sibbald were by far our best players. The tackle on 90 mins was outstanding.

But yeah, other than that not much to say. Raith were great for the first hour and I couldn't begrudge them a victory today. Good luck in the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, Monkey socks said:

" Raith the better team for 60 mins. Overall Livi shaded the game "  You don't half come out with some pish !

Hey monkey nut  120 minutes played today, Raith were the better team for 60min,don't know what game you were watching, if you don't  like what I write don't  f______    read it 

33 minutes ago, grumswall said:
47 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Devlin played well today. His pace is always going to cause teams problems and he was getting in behind our defence well. Musonda maybe isn't a natural lb but he's very comfortable there and he did manage to recover quite a few times to stop Devlin from getting the easy ball in when he did get in behind. Surprised to see some don't rate him.

Yeah he is very good at hitting the bye line and getting in behind defenders, but his inconsistency in making any sort of decent delivery frustrates the shit out of me. EL does give him a hard time though, he's been one of our best players the last few months. If he improved his delivery into the box he'd be snapped up by a bigger club, wouldn't put it past Motherwell to try and sign him though, they're full of ex Livi players just now.