Livingston v Raith Rovers

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Do Raith have any players that have won international tournaments? Played Champion's League football? Have any of them played in a team that beat Barca? Clearly a bigger club in this tie here, and it's Livi 
:rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I wonder how other Livi fans view the name change in regards to the history of the club. To me, the club began existing in 1995. I don't take anything Meadowbank/Ferranti into account when it comes to Livi. Those clubs ceased to exist and Livi took their place for me. It helps that I wasn't even alive in 1995 so I've never known a time where both of those clubs were active. I've only ever known Livi as Livi. 

In my opinion Livi's story is 1995-Present 

So notmuch of a history after all :)

35 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm just looking for bites don't worry. To be fair though, as a club (since 1995) we've spent about 30% of our entire existence in the top flight of Scottish football. 

I wonder how other Livi fans view the name change in regards to the history of the club. To me, the club began existing in 1995. I don't take anything Meadowbank/Ferranti into account when it comes to Livi. Those clubs ceased to exist and Livi took their place for me. It helps that I wasn't even alive in 1995 so I've never known a time where both of those clubs were active. I've only ever known Livi as Livi. 

In my opinion Livi's story is 1995-Present 

Same owner, management team, and players all moved to Livi, so wasn't an Airdrie scenario, buying Clydebank's registration and having dead Airdrie taking over, but i see what you're saying, i wouldn't have started supporting them if they hadn't moved to Livingston, where i was living. Some of the Meadowbank fans still follow their team as Livingston though.

Can only go on what I,ve seen on the box.Although  Livi play decent football they are more a physical, high pressing team,something we might find difficult to deal with

Not fussed for this game and just hoping we dont pick up any injuries as securing a play off spots more important than the cup

18 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Our pitch is the exact same as Hamilton's so who knows. Both pitches installed weeks apart by the same company and used the same package. Only difference is Hamilton went for green pellets instead of black, other than that they're identical pitches. I'm not sure if you guys used the same company but very well could have done haha

Aye and we went a bit overboard with the pellets, with them spraying up in big bundles on the telly for everyone to see and criticise. Teething problems though, as we soon learned from our experience and hoovered some up. Pundits were fixated on the black pellets after that and jumped in with two footed tackles to have a pop at the pitch all season, which only adds to the getting it right up them factor when we did so well 3 seasons running.💪 

18 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

We got the green pellets as well.

Aye rookie mistake by us not getting them.

16 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Can only go on what I,ve seen on the box.Although  Livi play decent football they are more a physical, high pressing team,something we might find difficult to deal with

Not fussed for this game and just hoping we dont pick up any injuries as securing a play off spots more important than the cup

Funnily enough Martindale is trying to get Ayo Obileye from QoTS to give us a more physical presence, says we've been lacking that this season, only really got Guthrie in defence, and Bartley in midfield. Big Jet is a big unit up front but he's more twinkle toes than a roughing up style of play. Since Halkett, Gallagher, Lamie and Dykes left we've mostly wee guys playing for us. Though the likes of Pittman, Holt, and  Sibbald, def press well and get in your face to win the ball in midfield. The latter two can  be a bit over eager/wild with their challenges too.

On 31/03/2021 at 09:49, Scary Bear said:

Livi are doing very well at the moment, and as a Rovers fan, the likes of Livi, Accies and St. Johnstone give me hope that a club like Rovers can compete in the top division again some day.

I would say there is no reason you could not compete in the top division one day, but it takes time and financial stability 

I think it comes in 3 stages and in a way the Gr€tna season helped Saints, that team would have gone up but were not ready, we failed the following season then built a team which still contains players from that team. 

In Phase 1 you establish yourself in the top league, we finished 8th twice then kicked on

Phase 2 is trying to be an established top 6 team, that makes contracts easier and earlier, we had the advantage of no Rangers for a few years so there was an extra space but managed it 6 years in a row before a small dip then back the last 2 years

Phase 3 then kicks in, you are totally established, can expect to challenge for trophies (Out with Celtic we have the most in the last 10 years) and the fan base should grow (Ours has not too much but they do show for big games)

I would even go as far to say there is a stage 4 that the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock are at where they are just part of the top league furniture for ever.

if we can do it others should be able to.

20 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Do Raith have any players that have won international tournaments? Played Champion's League football? Have any of them played in a team that beat Barca? Clearly a bigger club in this tie here, and it's Livi 

:rolleyes:

Yes, but he’s not back from International duty yet...😜😂🤣

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

I would say there is no reason you could not compete in the top division one day, but it takes time and financial stability 

I think it comes in 3 stages and in a way the Gr€tna season helped Saints, that team would have gone up but were not ready, we failed the following season then built a team which still contains players from that team. 

In Phase 1 you establish yourself in the top league, we finished 8th twice then kicked on

Phase 2 is trying to be an established top 6 team, that makes contracts easier and earlier, we had the advantage of no Rangers for a few years so there was an extra space but managed it 6 years in a row before a small dip then back the last 2 years

Phase 3 then kicks in, you are totally established, can expect to challenge for trophies (Out with Celtic we have the most in the last 10 years) and the fan base should grow (Ours has not too much but they do show for big games)

I would even go as far to say there is a stage 4 that the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock are at where they are just part of the top league furniture for ever.

if we can do it others should be able to.

The good news is it looks like the Board and Manager are of one mind here. I think the PCA with Berra is a sign that they are trying to build a team that will solidify us as a top Championship team before trying to move up. If we were to somehow get up this season, I would think we would be strong favorites to plonk straight back down as I don’t think we have a solid enough core established. Perhaps a couple of years milling about the top of the Championship is a better path, allowing us to recruit the kind of players necessary to hold Premiership status if promoted. During that time you can determine which of your younger players will make the jump, which experienced players can play at that level, and where you need improvement, while using a few crusty old players to instill the correct mindset...the role I’m seeing Berra filling.

Meanwhile, this game will present an opportunity to roughly measure some of the materials we have onboard at the current time. I expect JMcG to swap out a number of starters and use this opportunity to test a few players...the question is who and how.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

The good news is it looks like the Board and Manager are of one mind here. I think the PCA with Berra is a sign that they are trying to build a team that will solidify us as a top Championship team before trying to move up. If we were to somehow get up this season, I would think we would be strong favorites to plonk straight back down as I don’t think we have a solid enough core established. Perhaps a couple of years milling about the top of the Championship is a better path, allowing us to recruit the kind of players necessary to hold Premiership status if promoted. During that time you can determine which of your younger players will make the jump, which experienced players can play at that level, and where you need improvement, while using a few crusty old players to instill the correct mindset...the role I’m seeing Berra filling.

Meanwhile, this game will present an opportunity to roughly measure some of the materials we have onboard at the current time. I expect JMcG to swap out a number of starters and use this opportunity to test a few players...the question is who and how.

Dunno, they may surprise you, the majority of our play offs winning team hadn't top flight experience, just need a few old pros in your squad to help bring the younger ones on. The likes of Livi and Accies are favourites to go down every season, small fan base means we shouldn't be up in the top flight, and get tagged for the drop every season.

We as a club certainly weren't ready to be promoted, our board were scrambling around like mad all pre season getting things in place, but the players had a good couple of seasons together with back to back promotions from League One, so it was a good team spirit, that played and worked hard for one another, that made a big difference. Really believe work ethic is just as important as calibre of players, you can punch well above your weight in a well organised team that works hard.

Quite sobering when Livi fans are giving us advice on how to be a big team.

I mean, it’s perfectly justified- if you’re under the age of around 25ish Raith have never been a team challenging for promotion to the top flight.

To me Livi are a new club who are around the same size as us or slightly smaller and should have similar ambitions and have been punching above their weight.

But that’s just because my perceptions are stuck in the late nineties.
Hopefully we’re on the right track to get to where Livi have been in recent years.

And hopefully we don’t have to rename the stadium after a shit restaurant to get there [emoji12]

3 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I mean, it’s perfectly justified- if you’re under the age of around 25ish Raith have never been a team challenging for promotion to the top flight.

To me Livi are a new club who are around the same size as us or slightly smaller and should have similar ambitions and have been punching above their weight.

Hopefully we’re on the right track to get to where Livi have been in recent years.

And hopefully we don’t have to rename the stadium after a shit restaurant to get there emoji12.png

Cue “Papa John’s Park”?

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

And hopefully we don’t have to rename the stadium after a shit restaurant to get there emoji12.png

Tbf, the current stadium name is the best we've had for a while. 

Broadwood Motor Company Stadium and Energy Assets Arena were painful. 

Looking forward to this one, not actually convinced we'll win but think it'll be a good game. 

Stryjek; McMillan, Fitzwater, Guthrie, Devlin; Sibbald, Bartley; Forrest, Pittman, Mullin; JET

12 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Tbf, the current stadium name is the best we've had for a while. 

Broadwood Motor Company Stadium and Energy Assets Arena were painful. 

Looking forward to this one, not actually convinced we'll win but think it'll be a good game. 

Stryjek; McMillan, Fitzwater, Guthrie, Devlin; Sibbald, Bartley; Forrest, Pittman, Mullin; JET

#Spaghettihad

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

And for those under 25 Raith are a team that used to poach quite a few of our players :D 

23 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

ICT turning over County at Dingwall has given me confidence that we can give Livi a run for their money.

They turned us over last season too, we're generally shite in the Scottish cup, and decent in the League cup.

The talk of who’s the bigger club is a pointless and boring one but I will say that I was genuinely surprised at how pathetic the Livi home support was in our game last season. It must be really frustrating that more locals don’t go to see them.

Edited by Enigma

25 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The talk of who’s the bigger club is a pointless and boring one but I will say that I was genuinely surprised at how pathetic the Livi home support was in our game last season. It must be really frustrating that more locals don’t go to see them.

Always feels like the fans that actually go to our games are the ones getting slagged when you see comments like this. Personally i'm past being frustrated by it, it's out of my control and i just enjoy supporting my team, and am proud of the success the club and players have given us these past 5 seasons. Only thing that could top it off is a Scottish cup win, and our small band of loyal Livi fans being there, getting slagged about having a shitey support, seeing us lifting the cup.:cheers

In 2004 when we got to the final and won the League cup we also got to a semi final of the Scottish cup and lost to Celtic, this season we lost the final of the LC, so here's hoping we can get to the SC semi final and win it this time, then go one better and win the final too.