Midlands League

Marten

On 20/03/2022 at 12:29, Lichtie78 said:

Have any teams signalled their intent to join the league next season, just out of interest?

I haven't heard of any, although that doesn't mean there aren't any...

Won 4-0 against Brechin Vics, first half was very poor and we didn't finish well at all as we had plenty of chances, still led 1-0 at the break though. The second half was better and the scoreline was deserved.

On 20/03/2022 at 12:29, Lichtie78 said:

Have any teams signalled their intent to join the league next season, just out of interest?

If you go by the rumours you'll have Kinnoull, Luncarty and Jeanfield Swifts all joining for the new season. If it did happen which i agree is a slim chance both kinnoull and luncarty would be in the top half no problem and Jeanfield would win the M/L with ease. Only doubt putting them off would be the league would have to split, so would be be season 2 before they get a chance of the H/L. 

Nobody of the people involved in ML clubs I've spoken to said anything about Jeanfield, Kinnoul and/or Luncarty possibly joining. Also, any potential move across from the EOSFL to the ML would be subject to an agreement between both leagues. Not saying it definitely won't happen that one or more of these clubs will move over, but so far I haven't heard anything substantial about it.

And Jeanfield do well in the EOSFL and seem happy there, so they'd be the least likely candidate if there would be a club trying to move over.

Not convinced on the subject to agreement between the leagues thing posted above. The only such agreement that has been announced publicly so far is between the EoS and WoS, and this wouldn't be a case of moving between SJFA regions like Montrose Roselea did which needs notice of one season and approvals in terms of the SJFA constitution.

15 hours ago, Welly boy said:

If you go by the rumours you'll have Kinnoull, Luncarty and Jeanfield Swifts all joining for the new season. If it did happen which i agree is a slim chance both kinnoull and luncarty would be in the top half no problem and Jeanfield would win the M/L with ease. Only doubt putting them off would be the league would have to split, so would be be season 2 before they get a chance of the H/L. 

Having all the Perth teams in the same league would be class. I can’t see Jeanie in particular going for it though.

Interesting feedback. Just wondering if the concept of the top clubs of the Midlands League and the NRJFA League forming a SuperLeague has been totally binned or whether there is still some movement to deliver the initiative. The new road infrastructure around Aberdeen would make a Grampian and Tayside SuperLeague a realistic and achievable goal. It would also assist those clubs who would remain in the Midlands League and NRJFA League by creating more level and sustainable competitions feeding into the higher tier.

The only place I have ever seen that being discussed is on here. There has been nothing in league press releases and the mainstream media about it as far as I am aware. Think it would have rated a mention if it was being actively negotiated at the moment. Something that looks nice if you are into imagining new league structures but maybe not so good if you are the one having to do the extra driving when you could otherwise be playing most of your games in either the immediate Dundee or Aberdeen areas.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

There was nothing mentioned anywhere about the Midland league until there was.

Been mentioned half a dozen times in here and I have heard from folk involved there are discussions but not negotiations. 

It won't be for 22/23 

I've seen it mentioned from the Midlands end. Where it makes sense as they have to do something with the size of league they have. Nothing else where.

A joint North/Midlands League is ulimately fed into by teams from Nairn/Moray down to Scone/Tayport. It might as well be Highland League 2.

It's already been speculated that the boundaries never happened as West Moray teams would rather go to the North Region than the NCL.

12 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Interesting feedback. Just wondering if the concept of the top clubs of the Midlands League and the NRJFA League forming a SuperLeague has been totally binned or whether there is still some movement to deliver the initiative. The new road infrastructure around Aberdeen would make a Grampian and Tayside SuperLeague a realistic and achievable goal. It would also assist those clubs who would remain in the Midlands League and NRJFA League by creating more level and sustainable competitions feeding into the higher tier.

This was discussed at a North Region Meeting in Feb this year but did not attract much interest from the North. It was suggested by the SJFA that the top 8 from Midlands and top 8 from the North could face off in a Superleague after each Region had played each other once (Roughly two 16-18 Teams_  the remainder would then play for a watered down North & Midlands League Trophy in their own Leagues). The winner of the Superleague would then be the team to play off with the winner North Caledonian League (if both licencesed)for the right to play in the Highland League Play off.  The next season all clubs would return to their own Regional Leagues again and play each other once and repeat the 8 v 8 play off. Refreshing in my eyes but not for everyone (harder to get to the Highland League and contrdictory more travel to Dundee was cited?)

We have been a long advocate of this for the obvious geographical reasons that suits us however when the 6 old Junior Regions were divided up eg North/Tayside/Fife/ East/Central and Ayrshire for me if you were dividing it up into 3 New Regions 6/2 = 3 however I can totally see how the Dundee sides fancied the £££s floating about in the East and decided to form a massive three regions into one and leaving the North on their own,

Forward 20 years and we now see the Midlands clambering to join the Highlands after a snub from the breakaway East of Scotland League, Things change 

And just as an add on we proposed no Scottish Junor Cup repalys in rounds 1-4 in 2008 and asking for draws to be made a round in advance (to promote the Junior game and make ties more exciting) only to be rediculed at the time and what do we have now? Progress 14 years too late to make the Junior game more Professional

The Junior game is finished. Lets just dish out the £500k Bond to those who are members and (hangers on) and move on to the Non League set up that is now empoering the Scottish Non League game to its betterment,

I could add but hopefully we can all move forward and embrace the new Non League Semi Proefssional level or whaterver we call it as it is improving and £500k in a Bond does nothing for football at the present?

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's already been speculated that the boundaries never happened as West Moray teams would rather go to the North Region than the NCL.

That might change if clubs like Nairn St Ninian were to be dumped into tier 7 because of a combined North and Midlands Mega Super League. Plus the attraction of away days in beautiful Fort William!

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That might change if clubs like Nairn St Ninian were to be dumped into tier 7 because of a combined North and Midlands Mega Super League.

Nairn would possibly be a casulty of such a move if they could not afford the travel but could also stay at Level 6 by going to North Caledonian League. Neither is ideal I have to admit and there will always be one or two teams affected by boundary moves. 

Footnote we have a lot of good friends in Nairn and our clubs get on well so wouldnt want to lose that bond

5 minutes ago, tellyboy said:

Nairn would possibly be a casulty of such a move if they could not afford the travel but could also stay at Level 6 by going to North Caledonian League. Neither is ideal I have to admit and there will always be one or two teams affected by boundary moves. 

Footnote we have a lot of good friends in Nairn and our clubs get on well so wouldnt want to lose that bond

I'm hoping that the NCL develops and becomes more attractive to clubs on and West of the Spey. The danger is that Aberdeenshire down to Tayside sucks in all the money and interest leaving the North and West an embarrassing offshoot in the Pyramid.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm hoping that the NCL develops and becomes more attractive to clubs on and West of the Spey. The danger is that Aberdeenshire down to Tayside sucks in all the money and interest leaving the North and West an embarrassing offshoot in the Pyramid.

Surely the top half of the NCL is at least as strong as the average North Junior Leagues clubs from west of Speyside?

Thinking that if you added Fort William and the west of Speyside Juniors then you would have a decent strength competition in the NCL.