Midlands League

Marten

23 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

East Craigie have spent the first half of the season playing away from home to get the ground playable. I don't imagine they will be doing any more major works any time soon.

For those unfamiliar with the ground there is nothing there. Its a grass pitch surrounded by railings and grass banking. No terracing, no cover, no social club and changing room block that looks like a big garden shed 

Surrounded by what used to be called the Eastern Necropolis on 2 sides and a touch of Tannadice with allotments on the other.  Changing room used to be an old nissen hut painted black from memory.

13 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

How are East Craigie doing so well? A joke club for most of the seasons I can remember, a ghost from long vanished industrial times. Strange to see them right up there somehow.

Talented young players with an old head at the back. Two or three ex Dundee youth players in their side and somebody who can put the ball in the net (Grady McGrath).

2 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Talented young players with an old head at the back. Two or three ex Dundee youth players in their side and somebody who can put the ball in the net (Grady McGrath).

..... so will a "bigger" or a promotion hunting Midlands League club come in for McGrath or the manager in the Transfer Window?

In any case why should a second place club be denied an opportunity to take part in the Play-Offs if an unlicenced club wins the League? That doesn't happen in England, Wales, etc so why in this situation?

I'd imagine the clubs investing in improvement might be a bit annoyed if East Craigie are outspending them on playing staff. Rushing to add I know zilch about the Midland League, maybe East Craigie are just having a good year.
In fairness to East Craigie, I don't think they're spending crazy amounts on playing staff. It's just a very well run club with good management.

7 minutes ago, Marten said:
On 04/12/2021 at 19:03, welshbairn said:
I'd imagine the clubs investing in improvement might be a bit annoyed if East Craigie are outspending them on playing staff. Rushing to add I know zilch about the Midland League, maybe East Craigie are just having a good year.

In fairness to East Craigie, I don't think they're spending crazy amounts on playing staff. It's just a very well run club with good management.

Having played them pre season and taking a 5-0 defeat I think I would agree with all that. A very experienced coaching team and little finances. I guess that in the past the bigger Dundee Junior teams have picked the riches of previous East Craigie sides however I think they have sussed that and will have most players on decent contracts. What a breath of fresh air when the teams who have possibly paid more money are chasing the team who have worked hardest and drilled decent youngsters into a great team. The Managers have not been succesful in their long tenure at EC but they really deserve success for sticking to the task. Good to see

Not that we're throwing the towel yet though. Sure, 12 points seem a lot, but we've got 3 games in hand and still have to play them. Win all those and we're level on points. Obviously that's easier said than done. It will be tough and I definitely see EC as favourites now. But it's football, still plenty of games to go and a lot can still happen.

7 hours ago, Dev said:

..... so will a "bigger" or a promotion hunting Midlands League club come in for McGrath or the manager in the Transfer Window?

In any case why should a second place club be denied an opportunity to take part in the Play-Offs if an unlicenced club wins the League? That doesn't happen in England, Wales, etc so why in this situation?

Because its the rules everyone signed up to 

7 hours ago, Dev said:

Doesn’t it? I don’t think there are any unlicensed clubs in Tier 5 in England.

On 04/12/2021 at 23:12, invergowrie arab said:

They could ground share with the High at Mayfield 

Mayfield doesn't have lights except for rugby training pitch i'm led to believe having not been to Mayfield for a couple of years

Just now, Marten said:

Yes

I mean I say BOD, stranger things have happened, but I can't see them not winning it once they catch up all their games in hand.

17 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

Doesn’t it? I don’t think there are any unlicensed clubs in Tier 5 in England.

In lower tiers you get it regularly in England. For example from step 5 (tier 9) to step 4 it happens regularly that clubs can't get promoted if they don't fit the requirements. In such cases, the runners-up get promoted. If they also don't fit the requirements, the number 3 will get promoted..

7 minutes ago, Marten said:

In lower tiers you get it regularly in England. For example from step 5 (tier 9) to step 4 it happens regularly that clubs can't get promoted if they don't fit the requirements. In such cases, the runners-up get promoted. If they also don't fit the requirements, the number 3 will get promoted..

But how often would a runner up from one league compete against another league's champion for a promotion opportunity? Which is what we have here. 

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Just now, TheScarf said:

I mean I say BOD, stranger things have happened, but I can't see them not winning it once they catch up all their games in hand.

Yep, realistically we're the only ones to who could still stop that scenario. As said above, that would involve us winning our games in hand & beating EC when we play them next...

Just now, Marten said:

Yep, realistically we're the only ones to who could still stop that scenario. As said above, that would involve us winning our games in hand & beating EC when we play them next...

Sorry I just meant the NRJ title.  I think Lochee United against BOD over 2 games would be tight.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

But how often would a runner up from one league compete against another league's champion for a promotion opportunity? Which is what we have here. 

No, that's not the case indeed. But I agree with the principle that if champions can't get promoted, the runners-up (or number 3) should get a chance. Obviously I'm biased on this, but I already said that for the tier 6 leagues underneath the LL in the past before we were in the pyramid.