Jump to content

Midlands League


Marten

Recommended Posts

Don't think you could have bet on anybody outwith Broughty, Carnoustie or Lochee to win the league at the start of season but it really is beginning to look like East Craigie are going to do a Leicester. I keep waiting for them to trip up but it just isn't happening. Obviously we're out of the running and whilst Lochee and Carnoustie are still very much in it, I think my fiver would be on EC right now.
You didn't think they'd slip up today though surely?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Wet Wullie said:
48 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:
Don't think you could have bet on anybody outwith Broughty, Carnoustie or Lochee to win the league at the start of season but it really is beginning to look like East Craigie are going to do a Leicester. I keep waiting for them to trip up but it just isn't happening. Obviously we're out of the running and whilst Lochee and Carnoustie are still very much in it, I think my fiver would be on EC right now.

You didn't think they'd slip up today though surely?

No, I did not but in games recently when I thought they might, they haven't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

I’m sure they were getting work done on their pitch early in the season

Correct, our first game against them was switched, we were meant to play them away, but we played them at home instead with the return fixture now being at their place. That has been agreed with a number of opponents it seems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huge credit to Forfar WE for their defensive performance at Thomson Park on Saturday. Good goalkeeping and three slices of luck when the ball hit the bar/post. 

There was also an Oscar-worthy performance by the left back when he rolled about further than I can roll my Easter egg in getting Colquhoun sent off. 

Speaking of luck, I was going for a hat-trick of half time draw wins. A tenner the last two weeks but only a fiver this week. I just can't catch a break!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ginaro said:

BBC reporter Tyrone Smith with his finger on the pulse as always, thinks the Midlands League teams have a choice of where to be promoted.

 

Although he is barking up the wrong tree and the route to the HL is now established from the Midlands.

In fantasy land he is probably correct.  Ie If they had a choice more than 1 team would indeed prefer the LL to the HL.

 

In other thoughts, I am unsure if East Craigie are far enough down the licensing road or not.  Be a shame if the Midlands winner did not get a shot at the playoffs.

Edited by superbigal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

In other thoughts, I am unsure if East Craigie are far enough down the licensing road or not.  Be a shame if the Midlands winner did not get a shot at the playoffs.

On the other hand it would basically pave the way for automatic promotion for the licensed Midlands winner as Banks O'Dee will be out of the way next season. And the licensing would at least mean those clubs are getting the benefit of being in the Scottish Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, superbigal said:

In other thoughts, I am unsure if East Craigie are far enough down the licensing road or not.  Be a shame if the Midlands winner did not get a shot at the playoffs.

If not (and presuming all other licensing criteria are met) is there an opportunity for them to ground share for a year to get a license or does that sort of thing have to be planned way in advance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ginaro said:

On the other hand it would basically pave the way for automatic promotion for the licensed Midlands winner as Banks O'Dee will be out of the way next season. And the licensing would at least mean those clubs are getting the benefit of being in the Scottish Cup.

Probably on the pave the way bit but Bridge of Don Thistle and Dyce are ones to keep an eye on where licensing is concerned, and Montrose Roselea certainly don't need to worry where ground requirements are concerned even if they haven't appeared keen to do it so far. Once the pathway gets opened up the top clubs in the Midlands and North Region feeder leagues are likely to start going for it because how do you explain to players that the prize they are playing for can't happen because the club isn't ambitious to progress up to the next tier?

Edited by LongTimeLurker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

 how do you explain to players that the prize they are playing for can't happen because the club isn't ambitious to progress up to the next tier?

£100 a week instead of £50 a week at a licensed club would swing it for 95% of players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure but lights are going up at clubs like Tayport and Lochee United so the issue of being a champion that can't do the playoffs unlike some of the other top clubs that could is potentially about to lumber over the horizon. I seriously doubt East Craigie's unusually good form so far this season is based on blowing other Tayside clubs out of the water financially. Could pan out differently in the Aberdeen area with no Banks o Dee around if it was a lower division club like Aberdeen Uni that did licensing next but word is that other top clubs are interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First game under lights I believe ever in the Midlands League on Saturday.

Saturday is an exciting day for Tayport Football Club as our newly installed floodlighting system will be switched on for the first time for a match. The floodlights will go on at half time and the second half will be played under the lights at the Canniepairt. Now we have the floodlights the kick off time for Saturday has now changed and our match on Saturday will kick off at 2.30pm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, superbigal said:

First game under lights I believe ever in the Midlands League on Saturday.

Good to see, though there was a Friday night game at Station Park recently and Letham's last couple of games have kicked off at 2.30pm so must've been using their lights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huge credit to Forfar WE for their defensive performance at Thomson Park on Saturday. Good goalkeeping and three slices of luck when the ball hit the bar/post. 
There was also an Oscar-worthy performance by the left back when he rolled about further than I can roll my Easter egg in getting Colquhoun sent off. 
Speaking of luck, I was going for a hat-trick of half time draw wins. A tenner the last two weeks but only a fiver this week. I just can't catch a break!
The red card has been rescinded on appeal.

Tomorrow I'll go on the supporters bus to Petershill. Should be a good day out.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...