Midlands League

Marten

47 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think that means most west of the Spey HL clubs will be trying to actively avoid the NCL having learned from Brechin City to be sure to read the small print before it gets implemented. Will be interesting to see what Fort William's choice will be as they are the probable East Stirling in all of this.

I'd imagine FW would go to the NCL. That's where they came from and only a few years ago they were actively discussing voluntarily going back. Travel will be expensive for them wherever they go, but having trips to Aberdeenshire or Tayside every other week would be worse than being in the NCL. Also, if there is going to be a joint north/Tayside superleague as rumoured, they could drop further down to tier 7.

We'll see what Fort William do but Dundee is definitely closer to them on probable driving time than Caithness and Orkney with no need for any ferry trips. I suspect Orkney being in the NCL and the low number of games mainly played in glorified public parks is what's likely to steer clubs between Inverness and the Spey towards the north region if they are in that predicament any time soon. Have you heard anything about the north/Tayside superleague thing again recently or is that still from a few months back?

I haven't had anything concrete about that yet. I just know both the North & East regions have been talking to each other about this. If I do hear anything more concrete I'll post it on here.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

Lochee United are making clear that the aim is promotion to the Highland League emoji106.png

20210705_145731.jpg

Broughty Athletic very much looking for promotion to the Highland League this season as well. Should be a cracking year to come. Carnoustie and Tayport will feel they can have a say as well but I'd be very surprised if the inaugural Midland League isn't between Lochee Utd & Broughty Athletic.

36 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Broughty Athletic very much looking for promotion to the Highland League this season as well. Should be a cracking year to come. Carnoustie and Tayport will feel they can have a say as well but I'd be very surprised if the inaugural Midland League isn't between Lochee Utd & Broughty Athletic.

The league could be very interesting and I'd agree with you that a title fight between Lochee United & Broughty Athletic is the most likely. The route to the HL is difficult, obviously there is licensing first (although Lochee United are working very hard on that front and Broughty can't be far off). And the league winners will still face the play-offs, in which especially BoD can be tricky. But it's great that the possibility to move up is finally there and it's really good to see that clubs like ourselves & Broughty Athletic show ambition.

Exciting times ahead.

Will be a bit more long-term I'm sure, but I'm pretty certain Downfield are also aiming to get promotion. Most teams in this league should see it as the next big step, and likely by the time they get the chance to do so the geographical problem will be reduced by then.

5 hours ago, Marten said:

I haven't had anything concrete about that yet. I just know both the North & East regions have been talking to each other about this. If I do hear anything more concrete I'll post it on here.

When the junior superleagues were brought in (Burnieman and cmontheloknow were online arguing about this stuff back then as well) the north superleague was initially supposed to be Tayside + North. There was no enthusiasm for that and eventually the only way the superleagues could be voted through was with Tayside in the east something the old mainly south of the Forth east region definitely didn't want.

Would be a wee bit ironic if that was finally the end point to all this now but doubt the extra travel would give top Dundee clubs something signifiantly better than what they could have locally with a ten club Midlands League top tier. You only need to check out the north region's track record in the SJC to realise hooking up with junior clubs from there wouldn't provide Lochee United with something like the east superleague. They really need to get promoted to the HL to have something similar to that again.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

36 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

When the junior superleagues were brought in (Burnieman and cmontheloknow were online arguing about this stuff back then as well)

Strange.  Superleagues started in August 2002, before Pie & Bovril even existed, and I didn't discover this place until something like 2008 or 2009.......I'm not even sure the old email groups existed then either.

Edited by Burnieman

Don't see why. If the South of Scotland league can have its own subforum separate from the Lowland League one, then the Juniors subforum can continue to be used for the Midlands League and the north region that still rightly or wrongly fall under the SJFA. 53 WoS and 7 EoS clubs have also retained SJFA membership and are continuing to participate rightly or wrongly in the Junior Cup.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Surely this thread will be moved to under the HL forum now?  Seeing as the clubs are now Senior?

The admins have already been alerted and I've been told that they are looking at slightly reorganising the non-league pyramid forums, so we'll see what they come up with. :) 

16 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Strange.  Superleagues started in August 2002, before Pie & Bovril even existed, and I didn't discover this place until something like 2008 or 2009.......I'm not even sure the old email groups existed then either.

the email group was on the go late 90s.

1 hour ago, edinabear said:

Hopefully there is automatic relegation from the Highland league soon and a lot of midland clubs can go up. 

Only a playoff for the 18th club but even that's a massive sea change in opinion compared to what attitudes were like even just a couple of years ago. Have to question whether some people in HL circles realise just how strong the top half dozen or so Tayside junior clubs are and how close they are to ticking the boxes on licensing.

It's the same with any pyramid, it'll take 5-10 years but the cream will rise to the top.  It's like Auchinleck Talbot, they'd hammer most of the LL teams.