Midlands League

Marten

Just now, Marten said:

Fair point yes, I assume the SFA board can then rubber stamp the play-off?

I'm sure someone is off writing a press release, prepping an information graphic explaining what's happened tonight. Shouldn't have to wait to long to find out compared to the last few months.

Did the SFA rubber stamp the play-offs involving the WoS when they joined the Pyramid? Or was that down to the LL and the EoS and SoS?

Edited by Dev
spelling.

Would that mean a 19 team league since there's meant to have been another new club looking to join?

EDIT: Looking at the Midlands Amateur League, Menzieshill won it in 2018-19 & 2016-17 and been competitive the rest of the time since winning promotion in 2014-15.

Maybe with Lowson United taking over Forfar Albion recently, and the talk of other amateurs stepping up in different ways they decided to follow their lead.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Should be an announcement of a new VP too as Stanton previously held that role. There's a vacancy on the management committee vacancy also as one of East Region positions was held by Steven MacMillian of Stoneyburn.

The previous SJFA president was Felix McKenna of St Anthony's. Will be interesting to see how many WoS clubs retained their SJFA membership this season. The draw for the new cup for non-licensed clubs will provide an indication as that is supposed to be running in parallel with the SJC.

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I have no problems with ground sharing where teams have a plan to eventually advance themselves to the next level but what on earth would their long term plans be?

Elmwood groundshared for years so they wouldn't be the first Dundee junior club to have had no long term plans. If Menzieshill are accepted OK, they would only need one more beyond the rumoured St James AFC entry for 20 clubs overall and a more sensible looking10-10 setup that would avoid severe competitive mismatches.

I wasn't expecting Menzieshill tbh. Sharing at Downfield, so not exactly in the area. I wonder if they're planning a ground in Menzieshill, that could be a tough ask as I can't really think of anywhere that would be suitable.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Elmwood groundshared for years so they wouldn't be the first Dundee junior club to have had no long term plans. If Menzieshill are accepted OK, they would only need one more beyond the rumoured St James AFC entry for 20 clubs overall and a more sensible looking10-10 setup that would avoid severe competitive mismatches.

And now their gone. Elmwood was at least a historical club who did have their own ground at one point.

Menzieshill have a set of strips.

TBF I don't have a huge objection if there is a pathway up and down from the ams for all sides and, as you say,  they can split the leagues into two divisions.

Lochee United v Coupar Angus is bad enough as it is.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

And now their gone. Elmwood was at least a historical club who did have their own ground at one point.

Menzieshill have a set of strips.

TBF I don't have a huge objection if there is a pathway up and down from the ams for all sides and, as you say,  they can split the leagues into two divisions.

Lochee United v Coupar Angus is bad enough as it is.

From what I heard, there are plans to make one joint "superleague" of Tayside & Grampian teams. That would get the better teams out of the Midland League and reduce mismatches. Then the step up for amateurs might be better as they don't face so many potential hammerings.

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

I wasn't expecting Menzieshill tbh. Sharing at Downfield, so not exactly in the area. I wonder if they're planning a ground in Menzieshill, that could be a tough ask as I can't really think of anywhere that would be suitable.

There's plenty land and pitches at the back of the Lynch Centre which they could lease from the council and use Lynch for changing rooms.

To attract that sort of money to develop the pitches you need all ages and boys and girls clubs. Similar to what Dundee West and Fairfield have done.

Again, if that's there long term goal - to create a community sports club then they should be encouraged but they haven't made any noises about doing so and I don't think 11 lads, 11 jumpers and a ball should be getting into a Tier 6 league. 

I also don't like Menzieshill 🙂

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

There's plenty land and pitches at the back of the Lynch Centre which they could lease from the council and use Lynch for changing rooms.

To attract that sort of money to develop the pitches you need all ages and boys and girls clubs. Similar to what Dundee West and Fairfield have done.

Again, if that's there long term goal - to create a community sports club then they should be encouraged but they haven't made any noises about doing so and I don't think 11 lads, 11 jumpers and a ball should be getting into a Tier 6 league. 

I also don't like Menzieshill 🙂

I know the area you mean, but is there anything that could be enclosed as that would be required? That might be difficult.

The two red crosses are the existing 11 a side pitches. West and Fairfield are just putting a 4g and cages on existing council grass pitches at their bit and DUCT looking to do same at Fairmuir.

As I say though I'm guessing I have put more thought into this than them.

ETA Lochee Park would also be reasonable for Menzieshill

Screenshot_20210622-105855_Maps.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 21/06/2021 at 23:31, Dev said:

Did the SFA rubber stamp the play-offs involving the WoS when they joined the Pyramid? Or was that down to the LL and the EoS and SoS?

They may have done, but the main thing needing approval from the SFA was the WOS as a league itself.

On 22/06/2021 at 10:33, Marten said:

There's also Dundee Uni's playing fields as well which has a fenced off pitch from memory although that's in the West End, it's closer to Menzieshill than Downfield is.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The east and north regions of the SJFA may still need similar approvals in order to become directly affiliated to the SFA as senior leagues.

The HL doesn't object to SJFA run leagues feeding into them, the LL did object to that.

26 minutes ago, Marten said:

The HL doesn't object to SJFA run leagues feeding into them, the LL did object to that.

The objection was from the EoSFL as they were the geographical feeder to the LL at the time.

...and needed to sign off on any changes to the format of the promotion playoff into the LL so effectively had a veto. What matters more than that angle to the question of what needs a rubber stamp from the SFA this time around is whether a league has to be directly affiliated to the SFA to be a tier 6 feeder in the pyramid. I've seen nothing definitive that clarifies that point but would that not be where the Midland League and Grampian League terminology fits in?

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and needed to sign off on any changes to the format of the promotion playoff into the LL so effectively had a veto. What matters more than that angle to the question of what needs a rubber stamp from the SFA this time around is whether a league has to be directly affiliated to the SFA to be a tier 6 feeder in the pyramid. I've seen nothing definitive that clarifies that point but would that not be where the Midland League and Grampian League terminology fits in?

Midland League & Grampian League will stay under the SJFA. Meaning that the SFA just have to rubber stamp the play-off arrangement as the leagues already existed, they are only being renamed. The HL are fine with SJFA leagues feeding into their league and the NCL are happy to be alongside SJFA leagues, so no veto from either of them. Whether they will stay under the SJFA for the long term is a question that will be answered at some point in the future, but at least it works to get things off the ground.

Edited by Marten