Midlands League

Marten

53 minutes ago, Marten said:

Well, that's the tiny chance we still had definitely gone. Shame, but that's football. We've just not been consistent enough this season. 

Still a lot of games to be played so probably a bit premature to be writing them off just yet. But, it's a big ask, especially as Downfield and Carnoustie don't look like slipping up on current form. 

Another really good win for Broughty and still sitting top, however they seem to follow up a brilliant win by dropping stupid points to the lesser sides. They'll be kicking themselves. 

Probably down to a 2 horse race for me now going by that league table. 

16 hours ago, BigSash said:

Still a lot of games to be played so probably a bit premature to be writing them off just yet. But, it's a big ask, especially as Downfield and Carnoustie don't look like slipping up on current form. 

Obviously there is still a mathematical chance. But we're 2 points behind Carnoustie and they have 3 games in hand, let's be realistic, that's never going to happen. And then obviously there are more teams than just Carnoustie.

On 04/03/2023 at 18:42, RossBFaeDundee said:

Enjoyed being back at Downfield Park, and I see the young ultras who have gone one better from their drum and bought a megaphone 😂, some good entertainment even in the duller moments, nothing puts off a Forfar West End break more than the 'happy birthday to you' tune!

It seems like young ultras are suddenly popping up all over our league. We suddenly have them, away against Blairgowrie our and Blair's young ultras tried to outdo each other. The rest of the spectators were wondering what was going on. 🤣

On 08/03/2023 at 20:02, Marten said:

Well, at least I got some exercise in tonight... Walked to the ground for tonight's game, but it was called of late. After a drink in the bar I walked back again...

Glad I didn't walk. It's about 6 miles there and back!

Blairgowrie 0-5 Carnoustie

Carnoustie go top of the league with a performance that shows why they will most probably win the league. 

Both keepers had great games and the score really should have been 2-7 or 3-8 based on missed chances or good saves

Its taken just over a year but thats me now done all 19 midland league grounds with my own rule it needed to be for a league game. Blair kept getting postponed or moving to a Friday when i was free to go there.

I wonder what happened with FWE recently, last week already 9-0 against Broughty. And yesterday the main talking point in the social club after the game is how many big chances we wasted, especially in the first half where at least 3 sitters were missed, we could easily have been 5-0 up at HT, but it was only 1-0. The second half was much better in that sense. But with how weak FWE were it makes me wonder what happened.

Edited by Marten

Looks like the East Region has forgotten they are below the HL, and are instead running it like the tier 6 leagues in the south with a deadline of 13th May to crown a champion. If Lochee were to somehow win, Strathspey would be waiting four weeks for the play-off games after finishing on 22nd April.

If the Highland League play-off is to continue that needs to be sorted - especially if you needed a tier 6 play-off first before playing the bottom HL side! Having the Midlands League with 19 teams makes it far too many games to be finished in time.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Looks like the East Region has forgotten they are below the HL, and are instead running it like the tier 6 leagues in the south with a deadline of 13th May to crown a champion. If Lochee were to somehow win, Strathspey would be waiting four weeks for the play-off games after finishing on 22nd April.

If the Highland League play-off is to continue that needs to be sorted - especially if you needed a tier 6 play-off first before playing the bottom HL side! Having the Midlands League with 19 teams makes it far too many games to be finished in time.

There is no chance we'll even get close to clinching the title now. Should we still have been challenging at this point, more of an effort would have been made to finish on time. When we were still challenging, we had a home game v Forfar United moved to Station Park for example just to get it played.

Next season we'll have 20 clubs with Montrose Roselea joining. It's an awkward number, 38 league games is quite a bit for this level, but nobody fancies going back to 10 team leagues either.

Edited by Marten

A split after 19 games then top 10 and bottom 10 play 18 would take off 1 game and maybe add a bit of spice to things.

Get the 1st 19 games played nice and early and use the local cup to fill the gap until everyone is at 19, that should get around any pre-split postponements

Edited by Spyro