Midlands League

Marten

I don't like 10-10 myself but I also don't like scores from boys football in a T6 league either.

Obviously its not just about the ground but terms of facilities Wellbank not much worse than East Craigie and Monifieth Athletic certainly good enough.

The universities and colleges maybe.

Dunkeld, Newtyle, Kettins, Burrelton and Alyth were always tidy wee grounds just lacking some fencing maybe.

Then there is always the dream of the Atholl derby between Breadalbane and Vale.

Don't think any of them would be in the Highland League any time soon but certainly could put a team in a Midlands 2. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 20/02/2023 at 22:05, invergowrie arab said:

I don't like 10-10 myself but I also don't like scores from boys football in a T6 league either.

Obviously its not just about the ground but terms of facilities Wellbank not much worse than East Craigie and Monifieth Athletic certainly good enough.

The universities and colleges maybe.

Dunkeld, Newtyle, Kettins, Burrelton and Alyth were always tidy wee grounds just lacking some fencing maybe.

Then there is always the dream of the Atholl derby between Breadalbane and Vale.

Don't think any of them would be in the Highland League any time soon but certainly could put a team in a Midlands 2. 

Kettins is on a hill, dreadful place to play football. Alyth is a tattie field. 

Breadalbane is a good set up, in Perthshire you’d imagine they’d be closest. Potential for a Jeanfield B to enter the Midlands 2 (formed from the current Ammies side)? 

I doubt there’d be much appetite from the East region Perthshire junior sides to join the Midlands tbh. 

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Let's not forget Perth Celtic, St Joseph's, Osborne, Alyth United, Errol and Crieff Earngrove. Too bad so many clubs have fallen by the wayside over the years because that has left the Midlands League with an awkward number of clubs.

St James now are essentially St Joseph's 

7 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Breadalbane is a good set up, in Perthshire you’d imagine they’d be closest

They've previously applied to the ERJFA as well. Turned down because of a risk of stray golf balls from the adjoining golf course, supposedly, although travel may have been the ulterior motive for the blazers...

I went to Home Street a few years ago to see Elgin City in a pre season friendly against Jeanfield Swifts (I think @Marten was there as well). Seemed a decent setup then and supposedly more done to the park since.

47 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

They've previously applied to the ERJFA as well. Turned down because of a risk of stray golf balls from the adjoining golf course, supposedly, although travel may have been the ulterior motive for the blazers...

I went to Home Street a few years ago to see Elgin City in a pre season friendly against Jeanfield Swifts (I think @Marten was there as well). Seemed a decent setup then and supposedly more done to the park since.

I was there back then indeed. From what I've heard, the ground was at that point already upgraded compared to when they applied to join the juniors. Although I can't judge how the ground was before then as that Elgin v Jeanfield game was my first visit there, so it's difficult to judge for me.

I'd like to see them join the Midlands League, they'd increase the geographic spread of the league and it would be a nice trip. Plus, it would be good to have a few teams joining so we can go to 2 divisions more easily. Whether or not they are still interested, no idea.

There's likely to be an awkward number of clubs in the league no matter if some new clubs enter in time for next season. Also, over time, some clubs may be lost after moving up to the HFL.

Maybe the league should copy what the EoS did and go to a Conference style Phase One to the season with two weighted conferences, so they are approx the same standard, at 10 and 9 clubs each playing on a home and away basis or 10 clubs each with Montrose Roselea's return. Then Phase Two being the top five from both conferences playing each other home and away for the Championship. Only the Phase Two matches would count towards the title. The following season same again with weighted Phase One divisions etc before Phase Two. The ten lower clubs would play each other home and away too in Phase two. That would give them sufficient matches for the league season(?). This system would make less open to problems with not having the "right" number of clubs each season.

Edited by Dev

23 hours ago, Dev said:

...The ten lower clubs would play each other home and away too in Phase two...

Sounds like a recipe for lots of completely meaningless games. Think they would be better off risking it and going for 10-10 at this point than trying something exotic with conferences because the promotion and relegation issues between the two divisions would keep the season interesting for more clubs than what is happening right now, but they definitely need to go on a recruitment drive to make that option sustainable in the medium to long term.

Lochee United 3-0 Brechin Vics

A win, but an uninspring performance other than 2 goals in quick succession just before HT to follow the first goal after 20 minutes or so. I appreciate that with the game already decided at HT, the team wanted to save themselves for next week, but the second half was very boring.

7 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Beyond the obvious I think they play at the same ground, which according to a post I vaguely remember from someone who posts or posted on here was originally the now defunct Elmwood's at some point way back maybe in the 50s.

The ground was called Midmill Park and was used by Elmwood in the 60’s and possibly early 70’s. The ground suffered from vandalism and they then ground shared with East Craigie and possibly Stobswell before disbanding in 1975. A team with the same name reappeared about 10 years later but no idea where they played. St Josephs played at Gilburn Park in the early 60’s then ground shared for a long time possibly mainly with Violet then Downfield and maybe Stobswell but can’t recall post 1980 no idea as started walking upside down. 

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Yet another massive win for Downfield at North End today, the Spiders aren't slowing down for any team these day!

Great win. Definitely going to be there for the run in.

Carnoustie not letting up either though, and Lochee Utd and Downfield are needing them to start dropping points. 

Both still to play Carnoustie away. Going to be a cracking climax.