Midlands League

Marten

Are Tayport any worse than last year? Free fall seems a bit much.
Problem seems to me that as well as being the manager Daryl is also the midfield engine room. The team isn't good enough.
Would love to see North End win it and Carnoustie are going to have to do a lot of Sat - Wed - Sat's.
I think they are worse. Think they lost a couple of players but not really sure how that's impacted performances. I have noticed that Jamie Gill was benched for weeks on end, then I didn't see his name at all last week. Fall out with the manager? Always thought Gill was one of their better players, just my opinion.

I would counter your take on it re the manager. I don't actually think he should be playing. Way past his best. Should concentrate on managing now.

HibeeJibee in the East of Scotland thread on ground improvements has posted a link which may interest some Midlands League clubs. I don't know how to link that across/out of that thread so here's the full text:

//www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/new-round-of-uk-government-investment-opens-for-scottish-grassroots-clubs/?rid=1316

New round of UK Government investment opens for Scottish grassroots clubs

Monday 21 November 2022

A new round of funding from the Department of Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport (DCMS) on behalf of the UK Government will offer Scottish grassroots clubs the ability to transform and upgrade their facilities for the benefit of local communities.

Following on from the launch last week of the Scottish FA’s new four-year grassroots football strategy, Football For All, grassroots clubs across the nation will have the opportunity to apply for funding from the £2 million investment that DCMS have provided for Scottish grassroots clubs to develop existing facilities that are accessible to their local communities.

The £2m investment is the second round of funding being invested in Scottish grassroots football by the UK government, with £2m having already been delivered by the Scottish FA in 2021/22. This investment is part of the UK government’s wider multi-year commitment to help develop grassroots facilities and increase participation across Scotland.

The latest round of funding of £2m will be open to Scottish FA Quality Mark clubs, as well as any member clubs working in partnership with their local community to deliver a range of grassroots football activities. 

Clubs will be able to apply for funding to make improvements to their existing facilities in three areas: 3G playing surface upgrade or replacement; Sustainability (LED improvement and solar panel installation); and natural grass improvement.

The previous round of investment saw a total of 17 projects benefit from replacement of existing 3G pitches that supported community football activity. 

Some of the upgrades made possible by DCMS funding already include new 3G pitches at Netherdale Arena in the Borders and Forfar’s Station Park, which is home to men’s side Forfar Athletic and women’s side Forfar Farmington, as well as numerous other youth and recreational clubs and groups.

To coincide with the launch of the second phase of DCMS funding, the Scottish FA are also inviting expressions of interest from clubs across Scotland for future phases of funding. Any clubs who would like to explore opportunities for facility upgrade funding projects can express interest at: Scottish FA Grassroots Pitch & Facilities Fund.

Applications for the funding and expressions of interest process are now open, with clubs able to apply until 23 December.

Scottish FA Chief Football Officer Andy Gould: “One of the ‘gamechanger’ objectives in our Football For All grassroots strategy is to work with stakeholders to improve access to quality community football spaces.

“The previous investment from the UK Government has already had a significant impact in improving facilities across Scotland and this new round of funding promises to have similar transformational benefits across the nation.

“We are grateful to DCMS for recognising the amazing benefits that football participation brings to society by investing in community football in Scotland and we look forward now to continue working with stakeholders as we strive to further develop our wonderful national game.”

For more information on the application process and what opportunities are available through the funding, visit Scottish FA Grassroots Pitch & Facilities Fund.

Talking about ground improvements!!

I took in Carnoustie's game v Glenafton yesterday. The facilities are rank! Not sure I've seen worse in any other junior ground.

1 toilet that's housed in a rickety old wooden hut thing. It's disgusting.

A number of other wooden structures that look like they can collapse at any time, including the snack bar. It's an eyesore.

A top side in the region, and relatively successful too. They really should have better facilities than they do. I know times are hard and it takes a lot of funds, but surely with DJ Laing as the owner and main sponsor, it shouldn't be that difficult.

There is definite potential, space wise. Does anyone know if there are plans to upgrade? If so, what are the plans?

1 hour ago, BigSash said:

Talking about ground improvements!!

I took in Carnoustie's game v Glenafton yesterday. The facilities are rank! Not sure I've seen worse in any other junior ground.

1 toilet that's housed in a rickety old wooden hut thing. It's disgusting.

A number of other wooden structures that look like they can collapse at any time, including the snack bar. It's an eyesore.

A top side in the region, and relatively successful too. They really should have better facilities than they do. I know times are hard and it takes a lot of funds, but surely with DJ Laing as the owner and main sponsor, it shouldn't be that difficult.

There is definite potential, space wise. Does anyone know if there are plans to upgrade? If so, what are the plans?

Davie Laing is honorary president, but doesn’t have much to do with the club these days, although he was there yesterday. He certainly doesn’t plough in money like he used to.

When the facility was built he (apparently) wanted to do a lot more with it, for example add a large covered area but the council (who were to be the owners) refused to foot the bill. And since the council ultimately owned the facility, it wouldn’t have made sense to make significant improvements -hence all the portacabins.

I believe the club have fairly recently taken possession of the facility from the council so hopefully they’ll do something with it. 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:18, Den Spark said:

Went to Harp 7 Forfar WE 0 on Saturday. Dismayed to see how far FWE have fallen. One of the top teams in the area not so long ago.

Saw them last season draw with Downfield and they were decent. I wonder if they lost players to Forfar United who are above them this season.

Came on here to post about Steven myself - really shite news :(

I went to watch Broughty a lot 4/5 years ago when Arbroath weren't playing and always had a great craic with Steven, who also used to go and watch both Dundee and Arbroath when he was able too do so, Dundee being his first love. He got involved with Broughty in a fairly classic way for the size of club I believe, after becoming sucked in and going to see the Fed every week the committee soon sounded him out and that was that! I'm not sure if he was still living in Edinburgh in recent years, but he did previously and while he would see family when through at the weekends, he'd still slog through for midweek games just in order to see the Fed...

One of the good guys.

Terrible news about Jimmy. Always very knowledgeable about the junior game and football in general.

Blairgowrie boys will be raging that Forfar Utd are able to get the game on at station park tomorrow when everyone else in the league is getting a Friday night on the lash.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2022 at 04:49, Eednud said:

It’s been reported elsewhere but Broughty Athletic fan and occasional poster on this thread @Jimi Shandrix has sadly passed away.

Not been on here for a while so I'm only seeing it now, but that's very sad news. Thoughts are with everyone close to him.

Should have been posted on here that unfortunately Downfield Legend Geordie Greer passed away before Xmas.

From FB

My dads funeral will be on Monday 9 January 2023
Invercarse Hotel at 1.30pm for Birkhill Cemetery for 2.30pm then after The Dee Club. All family and friends are more than welcome.