Midlands League

Marten

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

You can just say Leigh Griffiths. It's an anonymous message board

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Sounds like he wants to find work in the Aussie A-League so keeping fit will be his priority rather than wages at the moment.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Sounds like he wants to find work in the Aussie A-League so keeping fit will be his priority rather than wages at the moment.

He is having to sel his ...ahem... luxury mansion

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/leigh-griffiths-celtic-house-sale-28330818

Might well be a bit of fixture congestion here if Lochee are still in contention - there's 24 league games and at least 2 cup fixtures (plus a league cup I assume) to fit in for Carnoustie in 21 weeks until the end of April.
Licensed clubs have floodlights.
Any fixture pileup for them should be easily manageable.
Also lights at a few other Midlands venues.

3 hours ago, superbigal said:

Licensed clubs have floodlights.
Any fixture pileup for them should be easily manageable.
Also lights at a few other Midlands venues.

I know - Lochee should be fine but harder for Carnoustie without lights if they are still in contention for the title. No doubt some weather postponements as well.

In fact it's only 20 weekends if we assume the HL play-off will take place on 29/4 and 6/5. 

Well, usually there isn't much drama at Lochee United, hopefully we can steady the ship now.

It seems that there were investments offered that weren't seen as sustainable and could end up being very risky and none of it was properly discussed, hence the people responsible for that had to go. Sad for Harper that he was caught in the middle of this as it wasn't his fault obviously. In the end, we don't want to be another club that rises fast and then just disappears, the long term future of the club should come first.

Well, usually there isn't much drama at Lochee United, hopefully we can steady the ship now.
It seems that there were investments offered that weren't seen as sustainable and could end up being very risky and none of it was properly discussed, hence the people responsible for that had to go. Sad for Harper that he was caught in the middle of this as it wasn't his fault obviously. In the end, we don't want to be another club that rises fast and then just disappears, the long term future of the club should come first.

Can I ask, when you say "we". What is your position at the club?

11 minutes ago, BigSash said:

Can I ask, when you say "we". What is your position at the club?

I'm just a fan, I do know some of the committee members and others involved in the club, but I don't have a position myself.

Edited by Marten

You just need to look up McGill electrical to get a flavour of the type of investor.

Steve Leahy back I believe.

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

You just need to look up McGill electrical to get a flavour of the type of investor.

Steve Leahy back I believe.

I'm definitely not against outside investment to get us higher up. I want the club to get higher and if sustainable investment can do that, that would be a chance we should grab. But the point is that word sustainable, if it would in any way be risky for the long term future of the club, it's simply not worth it. I'd rather stay in this division a bit longer and improve gradually, then rise quickly and fall even quicker. And like you say, I also don't get a good impression of this investor. And clearly neither did the rest of the committee.

I think it's important for football in the city for a Dundee club to be in the Highland League (although both United and Dundee are doing their best to get there).

It would be nice to see one of the Midlands clubs - ideally Lochee United given their history (and the fact I've got a soft spot for them) to make the step up, similar in a way that formerly Cove and now Banks O'Dee have done in Aberdeen.

It's also important for the pyramid, as it does feel to an extent that the Midlands is just in the pyramid in name only and starting the dialogue of promotion and relegation is healthy for football nationwide and having a local HL side would just be nice to have.

So it's a bit of a shame to see the debacle about Harper, it also really doesn't paint the club in a good light. Think about all the positives that have happened in the past few years, and the only news stories in the past 12 months in The Courier are about the appointment of Harper and his dismissal.

Edited by Ray Patterson

8 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I think it's important for football in the city for a Dundee club to be in the Highland League (although both United and Dundee are doing their best to get there).

It would be nice to see one of the Midlands clubs - ideally Lochee United given their history (and the fact I've got a soft spot for them) to make the step up, similar in a way that formerly Cove and now Banks O'Dee have done in Aberdeen.

It's also important for the pyramid, as it does feel to an extent that the Midlands is just in the pyramid in name only and starting the dialogue of promotion and relegation is healthy for football nationwide and having a local HL side would just be nice to have.

So it's a bit of a shame to see the debacle about Harper, it also really doesn't paint the club in a good light. Think about all the positives that have happened in the past few years, and the only news stories in the past 12 months in The Courier are about the appointment of Harper and his dismissal.

Yeah am genuinely nonplussed by this too...have a soft spot for Utd too as visited Thompson Pk occasionally when up visiting the wife's family. 

Would love to see them in the HL, but I take Marten's point about unsustainable growth etc. As an interested outsider though, who knows nothing of the details, it all seems very, very badly handled. 

4 hours ago, Jimmain said:

Yeah am genuinely nonplussed by this too...have a soft spot for Utd too as visited Thompson Pk occasionally when up visiting the wife's family. 

Would love to see them in the HL, but I take Marten's point about unsustainable growth etc. As an interested outsider though, who knows nothing of the details, it all seems very, very badly handled. 

Yeah, it's not something to be proud of. But what happened, happened, we need to clean the mess up now and try to move on.