Midlands League

Marten

Lochee United 5-1 Kirriemuir Thistle
A good game and we definitely deserved the win. Although in fairness to Kirrie, the scoreline did flatter us. They weren't nearly as bad as the scoreline suggests. That was the last home league game of the season...

Broughty Athletic 6 Letham 5

A sleepy end of the season affair at Whitton Park in front of about 40 fans. All credit to Letham who were an amateur team last season and from what I was told today had half a team that didn't turn up this morning. I'm not sure what excuse we could throw up for our performance. Utterly amateurish for 80 minutes, embarrassing doesn't begin to cover it. 2-0 down after about 10 minutes and 5-3 down with about 10 minutes to go, it was left to our two standout players, Brad Smith and Josh Skelly to drag us to a barely deserved victory. My first game for three months and to be honest, despite what I was watching, I just beamed all the way through the game. Great to be back. I've got a bigger fight ahead of me over the summer but here's hoping I can get back to watching the Fed next season.  Finally, it is through gritted teeth that I congratulate Carnoustie Panmure on their title success. Personally, I thought East Craigie were the better team over the course of the season until they hit the buffers in the last two games and some of Panmure's roughouse tactics against us in their last game at Whitton left a sour taste in the mouth but I would like to send my heartfelt congratulations to our ex-player Jamie Winter, a true club legend who thoroughly deserves this title win.

East Craigie 0-1 North End

A decent crowd of about 200 watched East Craigie's end to their league season. The EC were very disappointing, as despite their pressure, they found it very difficult to create any bone-fide chances. North End, were very good on the counter and nearly got a penalty at the end of the first period, as their striker was brought down by the EC #4 on the edge of the box - which arguably could have been a red card. Despite two great chances late on for East Craigie, it was North End who, deservedly, scored in the 91st minute to take the three points.

For a side that were in with a shout of winning the league this afternoon, I wasn't impressed by them. The Tayport result really took the wind out their sails.

Edited by Ray Patterson
Idiot.

Downfield win 5-3 on penalties in the cup quarter-final over Letham, 1-1 FT. Downfield really should've had it won, Letham keeper saved a pen in regular time well, but it fell right for the taker only for him to his the bar with the net wide open. Same penalty taker opened the shootout and had no issues then.

At 4-2 Letham needed to score to stay in it, but the taker blazed it over the bar. Luckily for him he took it well before the ref was ready to blow the whistle, and he scored calmly on the retake 😆

Keeps the Spiders' season going, look forward to the semis.

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wish the Highland League would save some cup games till the end of April and May, the season ends way too early.

The SPFL Challenge Cup should run in a similar fashion as well. Holding a cup in the closing weeks of the season gives teams who are safely midtable something to play for. 

If they were dung at the start of the campaign and have improved significantly since, they might actually get a trophy to show for that effort as well. 

Hearing on the grape vine North End are putting plans in place to be license ready in the next year or two as well as lots of other community development on the site and a 3g pitch. 
North End have one of the better grounds so I'm not surprised they are next. Good news though.

St James 0-7 Lochee United
My first visit to Fairfield Park, with the last league game of the season I have now visited all grounds in the Midlands League. First 40 minutes was very poor from us, not done enough with the ball going forward. Then 2 quick goals before half time and the second half was a convincing performance. This must give confidence for the semi final Saturday home v Arbroath Vics. 683763fec4a23d88b6f8174348d08a36.jpg

Lasted til 3-0 at Lochee Utd vs Arbroath Vics today, was Baltic so pub for second half of Scottish cup seemed more appealing. Dreadful game to watch although Lochee’s 2nd and 3rd goals were both great strikes, as was the 4th going by what my pal playing had to say. Looking forward to the start of next season and the midweek rounds again, with what sounds like it’ll be a much changed Vics team.