Midlands League

Marten

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

I have no evidence to support but it almost looks like Carnoustie are not interested. What a chance they would have had this season. Possibly more likely they just lack in Committee members.

Aye, I used to be a bit contemptuous of all the blazers arriving and blagging their way through to the boardroom without buying a ticket and getting free drinks etc., and then Fort William happened. 

Earlier in the season Blairgowrie made some announcements about up-grades including floodlights. Could be one to keep an eye on for licencing in the future?
I've been there just over a week ago when we played there in the league cup. They've definitely done some excellent work there. Whether or not they're close to licensing already is hard to judge, as there is so much that's not immediately visible to someone just attending a game. But I definitely wouldn't rule them out by how their ground looks.

17 hours ago, superbigal said:

I have no evidence to support but it almost looks like Carnoustie are not interested. What a chance they would have had this season. Possibly more likely they just lack in Committee members.

https://www.thegowfers.com/club-to-be-part-of-the-scottish-football-pyramid/

...However, to be eligible for promotion then clubs will need to comply with Highland League rules of which having an SFA Licence is the major part. To obtain a licence there are a number of criteria that we would need to comply and we have already started working on these to ascertain what we need to do. Andy Finlay has been looking at the Licencing requirements and making a start on several of the policies that need to be adopted and agreed as well as the improvement to facilities that we would need to carry out. We are in the position where the new policies are written and we will be obtaining advice on their suitability in the near future.

The physical changes we will need to make to Laing Park are a different story and we will be making a plan for these in a near future but we anticipate that these will take a while to complete.

Whilst obtaining the licence is a project that will take a while, we don’t believe it is beyond us and we would hope to be in a position off the park to be able to take advantage of any opportunity that is available to us from the efforts of the squad on the park in the medium term...

We won 8-1 against Scone, it was really just far too easy. We never got out of second gear. In fairness to them, they have a very young team and their goal was good. Hopefully for them they can add some experience for next season and improve, but it was pretty obvious why they are bottom.

Looks like Craigie have fucked it, they now need Forfar West End to get something at home to Panmure as well as a win over Dundee North End. FWE took a point away in Carnoustie earlier this season though, so it's not impossible, but it looks to be Panmure's title now.

Good result for Tayport, looks to be a positive omen for their cup final next month against the Shippy.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Looks like Craigie have fucked it, they now need Forfar West End to get something at home to Panmure as well as a win over Dundee North End. FWE took a point away in Carnoustie earlier this season though, so it's not impossible, but it looks to be Panmure's title now.

Good result for Tayport, looks to be a positive omen for their cup final next month against the Shippy.

Carnoustie to draw 0-0 and East Craigie to win 2-0 for a title play-off!

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What's Carnoustie's ground like?

I haven't been there recently, but last time I went it was very basic and very far from licensing standard.

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

I haven't been there recently, but last time I went it was very basic and very far from licensing standard.

Was there at the start of the season. No Cover nor floodlights and it isn't really enclosed. Wouldn't be surprised if the changing rooms were too small as well.

At least a season away you would guess.

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What's Carnoustie's ground like?

It's a big square of grass with a fence around the pitch and grass on the other side of the fence, no terracing, stands or cover.

Probably as basic as anything in the Midlands along with East Craigie and St James.

https://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/carnoustie.html

carnoustie1.JPG

carnoustie4.JPG

Major issues are no cover with hard standing, devils illumination installed for a small 3G training pitch nearby but not for the pitch they use for Midlands League games and questionable whether that pavillion is big enough to accomodate everything that needs to be in there. Looks like one that could take a few years depending on how much funding they can raise and/or attract.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Carnoustie are basically DJ Laing so I imagine if the will is there and no planning issues there wouldn't be any issue getting major redevelopment done quickly and cheaply. 

Davie Laing has been slowly withdrawing his support over the last few years and is no longer “hands on” at Carnoustie at all as far as I’m aware. 

The changing facilities are very good, and bigger than they may look from the outside - 2 large changing rooms upstairs, along with a refs changing room, small kitchen area and disabled toilet and another couple of changing rooms downstairs. They’ve also got separate outdoor toilets and the pie hut and the committee rooms in portacabins. 

There have been noises over the years about a covered area, which is sorely lacking. Apparently Laing wanted to build one when he built the new ground 15 years ago or so, but the council (who owned the new facility at the time) refused to pay for it. I believe the ground may have been the subject of one of these asset transfer schemes back to the community club. Floodlights too would obviously be required. They would be the two main stumbling blocks as far as I can see. 

After a short stint in Ward 32 at Ninewells earlier this week, I am ready for the mouthwatering clash today that is Broughty v Letham at Whitton Park. My first game since the start of February and for such a meh nothing game, I am very excited just to be going along. A hugely disappointing season for the Fed all round but one which could well see us still finish fourth in the league.