Midlands League

Marten

The spfl isn’t going to move its schedule any earlier.

Playing less games it really shouldn’t be hard for the HL to finish in time.

For tier 6 clubs and the relegation play-off they could take the LL approach and relegate to perms-diddies automatically  

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

The spfl isn’t going to move its schedule any earlier.

Playing less games it really shouldn’t be hard for the HL to finish in time.

For tier 6 clubs and the relegation play-off they could take the LL approach and relegate to perms-diddies automatically  

There's no need for the SPFL to move its schedule, just for club 42 to delay their holidays by a fortnight.

Edited by welshbairn

To be honest, there was room in the schedule to finish the league earlier if we'd have played more midweek games. But once it became clear there wouldn't be a licensed champion, there was obviously no need to rush. Had we been in the running for longer, then we'd have finished the league by now (the cup round last weekend could've been the last league round instead for example).

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

If the Pictish Premiership isn't happening then the ideal to is having the East Region cup as a post-season midweek competition for sunny late April and May evenings.

Does anyone care about the Quest Cup?

I think I love you.

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

East Craigie doing their title bid no harm hitting double figures v Forfar Utd tonight in an 12-0 win. Could even afford to miss a penalty and a few sitters. For the score the Forfar keeper was excellent.

Good pie and about a pint of bovril too. 

Only moan was the haar made itbfeel like the depthsnof December. Sun was splitting the pavements in West end. 

20220420_201208.jpg

20220420_190823.jpg

Was at the game last night. Whilst delighted that it wasn't a boring goalless affair in Baltic conditions, double digit scorelines like this are becoming fairly regular occurrences and do nothing for the credibility of the league. Something has to change for next season. Perhaps we need two divisions so that teams are more easily matched.

1 hour ago, Den Spark said:

Was at the game last night. Whilst delighted that it wasn't a boring goalless affair in Baltic conditions, double digit scorelines like this are becoming fairly regular occurrences and do nothing for the credibility of the league. Something has to change for next season. Perhaps we need two divisions so that teams are more easily matched.

I would agree there needs to be 2 divisions. There also needs to be something in place to stop the Harp/Coupar Angus situation.

I thought the league started off competitive enough but towards the end of the season some folk seem to be giving up the ghost. 

East Craigie needed every one of those 12 goals yesterday, now they have a chance to get their goal difference above Panmure's with their remaining game in hand, though considering their upcoming opponents wins might not come easy, never mind goals.

Arbroath Vics 2-1 Lochee United, poor game really. In the first 30 minutes or so we gave them way too much space and we weren't really in the game, they deserved taking the lead. After that we were much more solid, but didn't create enough chances. Over the full 90 minutes I feel the win was deserved, but we definitely made it far more difficult for ourselves than it should have been.

17 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

At home to Dundee North End and Tayport. Carnoustie are at Forfar West End.

Tough games all of them, though I feel Carnoustie have the *easiest* game of the three. Got the fear when Brechin Vics took the lead, but good on Craigie to not be rattled and keep close to Panmure on GD. I am rooting on them to do the job, but DNE and Tayport are very good teams.

Arbroath Vics 2-1 Lochee United, poor game really. In the first 30 minutes or so we gave them way too much space and we weren't really in the game, they deserved taking the lead. After that we were much more solid, but didn't create enough chances. Over the full 90 minutes I feel the win was deserved, but we definitely made it far more difficult for ourselves than it should have been.

Was at this game, can’t imagine 2 more opposite goals than Lochee’s first & second [emoji1787]

5 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Was at this game, can’t imagine 2 more opposite goals than Lochee’s first & second emoji1787.png

I know, the first one was brilliant, the second one was just hilarious. Obviously I'll take it though. ;)

On 21/04/2022 at 09:54, Den Spark said:

I know this has been talked to death on here, but the long term solution is surely to have a combined top division with the NRJFA.  The 6 places below Banks O'Dee are all Aberdeen sides plus Montrose Roselea and that balance probably wont change very much. The top 6 or 7 from each would be pretty competitive and perhaps avoid triple digit for/against columns.  The only other solution is split the league in two with very small divisions, not exactly ideal.

43 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I know this has been talked to death on here, but the long term solution is surely to have a combined top division with the NRJFA.  The 6 places below Banks O'Dee are all Aberdeen sides plus Montrose Roselea and that balance probably wont change very much. The top 6 or 7 from each would be pretty competitive and perhaps avoid triple digit for/against columns.  The only other solution is split the league in two with very small divisions, not exactly ideal.

Discussions about this have never gone past the informal stage, some of the bigger teams in both regions are in favour, but the idea doesn't have enough support as it stands. The Midlands League will continue with the same 19 teams, there are no new applicants, and the same format for next season.

Edited by Marten

I know, the first one was brilliant, the second one was just hilarious. Obviously I'll take it though. [emoji6]

Not a classic game, although hard on the Vics pitch which isn’t the flattest surface in the world!

What’s the licensing looking like for next season, are Lochee Utd, Broughty, Panmure & Tayport all about there or still a bit off?they seem the most obvious off the top of my head

2 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Not a classic game, although hard on the Vics pitch which isn’t the flattest surface in the world!

What’s the licensing looking like for next season, are Lochee Utd, Broughty, Panmure & Tayport all about there or still a bit off?they seem the most obvious off the top of my head

Both Tayport & ourselves are quite far in the process and hopeful we'll get our license by the end of this season. Carnoustie & Broughty are still some way off, they aren't in the process with the SFA yet.

Both Tayport & ourselves are quite far in the process and hopeful we'll get our license by the end of this season. Carnoustie & Broughty are still some way off, they aren't in the process with the SFA yet.
I have no evidence to support but it almost looks like Carnoustie are not interested. What a chance they would have had this season. Possibly more likely they just lack in Committee members.