Midlands League

Marten

On 29/03/2022 at 22:49, tellyboy said:

Nairn would possibly be a casulty of such a move if they could not afford the travel but could also stay at Level 6 by going to North Caledonian League. Neither is ideal I have to admit and there will always be one or two teams affected by boundary moves. 

Footnote we have a lot of good friends in Nairn and our clubs get on well so wouldnt want to lose that bond

Making a weekend of Brechin v Clach and stopping in Montrose. Have to say Roselea would make an excellent away day addition to the Highland League, or Montrose should their current form dwindle away. Very decent pubs and choice of eatiries. Last time I was here was for a Montrose v Falkirk Cup game and just drove to the ground and left after the game thinking it was a shithole tbh. It isn't. :)

A 5-0 win over St. James today, first half was a bit poor although we did lead 1-0 at the break. The second half was excellent, with a brilliant 4-goal haul by Jaden Ferguson.

East Craigie continuing to win, but their inability to keep up with Panmure in the GF department as of late looks to be what will kill their title hopes. Could easily see the two teams tied at the top on points, but Carnoustie's goalscoring is what will see them as champions. Jack Wilkie got MotM though for them against Forfar West End though, so that's not bad at least.

Nice to see Ewan Murray get on the scoresheet for Lochee United too, and didn't realise how big a lad Luke Graham was.

9 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

That would mean Carnoustie losing to Dundee NE and Lochee Harp - if that did somehow happen then surely East Craige can improve their GD by 11 or 12 over the last four games?

East Craigie have two games in hand on Panmure, so if both teams win all their remaining games (2 for Carnoustie, 4 for East Craigie) then they'd both finish on 98 points.

The Run-in
Wednesday 20th April

East Craigie vs. Forfar United (Craigie won reverse fixture 1-5 away)

Saturday 23rd April
Carnoustie Panmure vs. Lochee Harp (Panmure won reverse fixture 0-15 away)
East Craigie vs. Brechin Victoria (Craigie won reverse fixture 0-5 away)

Saturday 30th April
Forfar West End vs. Carnoustie Panmure (Panmure drew reverse fixture 2-2 at home)

Dates TBA (probably waiting on cup results)
East Craigie vs. Dundee North End (Craigie won reverse fixture 0-1 away)
East Craigie vs. Tayport (Craigie drew reverse fixture 0-0 away)

Obviously Panmure have the points on the board already, but I think my scenario is pretty possible so long as the two teams keep their very impressive unbeaten/winning streaks up (unless I've missed something obvious and all of that was pointless lol).

On 10/04/2022 at 09:55, superbigal said:

Wonder what has happened to the project Coupar Angus
Pumped by West End and Blairgowrie

Was wondering that myself. Saw them beat Lochee Utd recently and they were definitely up for that game. They weren't slow to update their Facebook page then but they've been pretty quiet the past couple of weeks.

A good, comfortable, win at Blairgowrie. Jaden Ferguson scored 4, he is now on 11 goals in 3 games. Just a shame we conceded 2 late on as we got a bit sloppy but overall a commanding performance.

I am wondering what happened to Coupar Angus though, they had a few good results including a win against us and then they just seem to have imploded again. They lost 6-3 to Blair and now 7-1 against East Craigie.

Only 5 of the C Angus team that started against Lochee a few weeks ago started yesterday against E Craigie. Three subs against Lochee were in the first team yesterday but none of their seven subs against the Shipbuilders were even involved against the Chee. Suggests another massive turnover in playing staff. Either that, or they have a squad size to rival Celtic's.

The Midland League will have to complete their fixtures a bit earlier if they produce a licensed champion for the play offs next season. Mid April seems ridiculously early to finish but that's the way it is.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

The Midland League will have to complete their fixtures a bit earlier if they produce a licensed champion for the play offs next season. Mid April seems ridiculously early to finish but that's the way it is.

This has always been the question around how the HL Playoff would be organised. If there had been a Tier 6 Champion Playoff fitted to this schedule then Tier 6 would have had to finish 2 weeks ago.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

This has always been the question around how the HL Playoff would be organised. If there had been a Tier 6 Champion Playoff fitted to this schedule then Tier 6 would have had to finish 2 weeks ago.

Pushing the club 42 games till the end of May would make things more manageable but I doubt the SPFL would agree. 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Once it was clear that no licensed side would win the league, they knew it wasn't needed to finish early. If we were in the running for longer, we'd have played some games midweeks in recent weeks to catch up. We've got floodlights now so there is no issue doing that.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Obviously not, because the SPFL lower league season finishes in April.

It's daft stopping the Highland League in mid April, especially in years with a bad winter and games are becoming more pleasurable. I don't see why all the players and fans in tiers 5 and 6 should suffer because one team, club 42, wants to get put out of its misery quickly.

Edited by welshbairn

East Craigie doing their title bid no harm hitting double figures v Forfar Utd tonight in an 12-0 win. Could even afford to miss a penalty and a few sitters. For the score the Forfar keeper was excellent.

Good pie and about a pint of bovril too. 

Only moan was the haar made itbfeel like the depthsnof December. Sun was splitting the pavements in West end. 

20220420_201208.jpg

20220420_190823.jpg

On 17/04/2022 at 18:44, welshbairn said:

It's daft stopping the Highland League in mid April, especially in years with a bad winter and games are becoming more pleasurable. I don't see why all the players and fans in tiers 5 and 6 should suffer because one team, club 42, wants to get put out of its misery quickly.

If teuchters want to play in a national pyramid setup then they can follow the schedule followed by civilisation. 

If they are finding it difficult to fit in matches then they can either reduce their league size to a more manageable 16, and/or dunt their cup competitions to the 'more pleasurable' conditions of late spring football. 

1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif