Midlands League

Marten

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Could something along the lines of what the WoSFL is doing with the 4th division no appease all? Anyone who wants to join, even if their pitch isn't up to par yet, can join a lower tier for next season, no-one is relegated this season, and then the clubs that are in the position to go up from the lower tier do so?

Wouldn't that just be the Midlands Amateur FA? The difference with the WOSFL is that there's no single amateur league covering the same area.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Wouldn't that just be the Midlands Amateur FA? The difference with the WOSFL is that there's no single amateur league covering the same area.

I guess it would but that's still a separate body. I meant under the Midland league itself to allow them access to the cups, etc and all the other bonuses membership would offer

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Doesn't the Midlands League area cover the Midlands Amats, Dundee sat am , Perthshire Amats areas etc?

Will be interesting to see what happens on this but think it's important to remember this is still part of the SJFA so an open public park or very basic 3G cage probably isn't going to cut it unlike what happens in the NCL. You are expected to be able to cope with a few hundred fans showing up for an SJC tie and be able to charge admission if they do because the visitors get a share of the gate.

Took in East Craigie vs. Downfield at Craigie Park. Started off relatively even, and Downfield actually had a solid shout for a penalty waved away. Sloppy defending from the Spiders however let the Shipbuilders in, and that set the tone for the game. East Craigie were 3-0 up at HT, and all three goals were defensive errors from either Downfield's backline or keeper. As the game progressed, EC really started to control the pace, and by the end of the game Downfield had basically packed it in. Another hat-trick for McGrath, who looks strong and dependable up front. Tough day out for my boys Downfield, they put in the effort until the score got silly and the keeper saved a penalty, but were just outplayed.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Chose St James vs Harp because I'd thought it'll be close and it was 7-0 the home side

It was men against boys from the first whistle, obviously Harp have recently lost their manager, and I imagine half their squad too as they really did not look like a side in the Top Half of the Division - they looked woeful. It was 4-0 at HT - although I missed the fourth heading for a pie, and if St James (who I was impressed with earlier in the season when I saw them play as Fintry against Ferry Athletic) could have scored 10 if they really wanted.

First time visiting the decent wee set up at Fairfield Park, a nice enclosure and it would be a very tidy ground.

BTW anyone know why they didn't keep the Fintry name - Dundee St James seems very bland - at least Fintry is linked to a part of Dundee.

St James is the football club at Fairfield including all the age groups, girls and boys para, walking etc so the Juniors are all part of that.

They take in kids from Whitfield, Douglas, Happyhillock, Mid Craigie and Linlathen as well as Fintry so calling themselves Fintry maybe a bit limiting. 

On 16/02/2022 at 15:18, Dev said:

Doesn't the Midlands League area cover the Midlands Amats, Dundee sat am , Perthshire Amats areas etc?

Correct, despite the similar names, Midlands Amateurs isn't the only amateur league in the Midlands League area. I wouldn't be surprised that at some point some more Perthshire AFA clubs try making the step.

Our game against Scone Thistle was called off. Club officials asked the referee for a wee bit more time but didn't get it. They said the game could have been on. I have not seen the pitch myself so I can't judge.

Our game against Scone Thistle was called off. Club officials asked the referee for a wee bit more time but didn't get it. They said the game could have been on. I have not seen the pitch myself so I can't judge.
This is 2021. Unfortunately referees are spineless pussies none of whom played in the 80s and 90s.
Apart from Mike Mc.

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

This is 2021. Unfortunately referees are spineless pussies none of whom played in the 80s and 90s.
Apart from Mike Mc.

Yep, from what I understand, the ref seemed to just want to call the game off and go rather than wait... 

6 hours ago, superbigal said:

Apart from Mike Mc.

No it's not.

I was a bit pissed off the Kirrie game was off yesterday as that was my plan. TBF it's a different world north of Craigowl 

20220219_151903.jpg

I was also at the East Craigie game. Talk of the terraces was about what would happen if E C win the league. Even though they won't obtain a licence would they still have to face Banks O' Dee in a playoff, the winner to meet, presumably, Fort William? And if they won both playoffs and couldn't go into Highland League, would Fort William retain their place?

If they do have to take part in Playoff BOD will be crapping themselves as Craigie recently gubbed them 3-0.

1 minute ago, Den Spark said:

I was also at the East Craigie game. Talk of the terraces was about what would happen if E C win the league. Even though they won't obtain a licence would they still have to face Banks O' Dee in a playoff, the winner to meet, presumably, Fort William? And if they won both playoffs and couldn't go into Highland League, would Fort William retain their place?

If they do have to take part in Playoff BOD will be crapping themselves as Craigie recently gubbed them 3-0.

The HL have the discretion to hold a Tier 6 champion playoff. It would still be BoD that would contest a play-off with Fort William as the only licensed champion. 

I'm not convinced the T6 play-off will happen in practice. 

58 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

I'd like to see a Champion's Cup set up for the three Tier 6 Northern League winners. Firms up the idea of the regional pyramid even if it won't affect who plays the bottom HL side for promotion this year. The rules are clear on that, it will be Banks O'Dee.

Edited by welshbairn

Aye the bottom of the HL (99% certain to be Fort) can only play a licensed league winner. If there isn’t one (there will be, BoD) there will be no relegation from the HL and no promotion from any of the three Tier 6 leagues.

Big week for Fort. Keith then Clach in the space of four days. Those aren't really the games they'll have had their eye on in terms of thinking they'll win (those being Strathspey, Turriff and Lossie) but Fort occasionally do a number on Clach and the Gordies are out of both form and match practice this year, and Keith are all over the place. If they can take owt from either then it sets them up for the run in. 

If Fort lose both of those games, Mission Difficult becomes Mission Oh For Fucks Sake, and the game at Lossie on 05/03 becomes B-I-G. Big.